Terry, The Clash, Marx, anarchy, etc etc

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Clashy
Corner Soul

Terry, The Clash, Marx, anarchy, etc etc

Post by Clashy »

matedog wrote: First off, I'd give my left nut to see Terry Clash in 82. I'd die to see them open for the Who or play that awful Cleveland show that we have the great soundboard of. But, I do find that Terry's playing often lessens the overall listening experience for me. I'm a drummer, so I do take notice of drumming more than the average listener I think. For example, it took me a LONG time to really enjoy the FHTE version of Straight to Hell. My initial listens were met with disgusted reactions. I highly rate Topper's drum part on the record and to hear it dumbed down so much was disappointing to me as it was a big focal point for my listening to that song. Now though, I've learned to tune it out and enjoy Joe's spectacular vocal performance.

So there are certain things that really stick out in a very negative manner to me when I listen to Terry boots. I don't feel like I'm being particularly picky, it's just how my brain processes it. Yeah around here, I take it to another level, but that's just having fun
muppet hi fi wrote:And anyway, Pete Howard was a techy, overly precise modern-esque drummer who was all wrong for the band (at least the tail end of the REAL band). So there.
I'm mixed on Pete. My general feeling is that he was technically great, but musically inferior to Topper. I like how busy he is in Somebody Got Murdered at the US Fest and he definitely approximates the STH part more closely. Stuff like WMHP got a bit too busy, but I always enjoyed hearing different fills on that one (Topper practically played the same fills everytime). So some stuff comes across as somewhat distasteful, but I still prefer Pete to Terry because Pete was at least competent on the non-rock tunes.
If your a drummer, put up samples of your playing so we can decide if you are qualified to decide what drummers we are all allowed to like. I bet any amount of money you cant play half as well as "Tory Crimes". I bet you play like ass.

Pete Howard gives me a pounding headache but I keep my opinions to myself. Becuae it was 30 years ago and nobody cares.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: SOUNDBOARD UPGRADE BRIXTON 30 JULY 1982

Post by Marky Dread »

Clashy wrote:
matedog wrote: First off, I'd give my left nut to see Terry Clash in 82. I'd die to see them open for the Who or play that awful Cleveland show that we have the great soundboard of. But, I do find that Terry's playing often lessens the overall listening experience for me. I'm a drummer, so I do take notice of drumming more than the average listener I think. For example, it took me a LONG time to really enjoy the FHTE version of Straight to Hell. My initial listens were met with disgusted reactions. I highly rate Topper's drum part on the record and to hear it dumbed down so much was disappointing to me as it was a big focal point for my listening to that song. Now though, I've learned to tune it out and enjoy Joe's spectacular vocal performance.

So there are certain things that really stick out in a very negative manner to me when I listen to Terry boots. I don't feel like I'm being particularly picky, it's just how my brain processes it. Yeah around here, I take it to another level, but that's just having fun
muppet hi fi wrote:And anyway, Pete Howard was a techy, overly precise modern-esque drummer who was all wrong for the band (at least the tail end of the REAL band). So there.
I'm mixed on Pete. My general feeling is that he was technically great, but musically inferior to Topper. I like how busy he is in Somebody Got Murdered at the US Fest and he definitely approximates the STH part more closely. Stuff like WMHP got a bit too busy, but I always enjoyed hearing different fills on that one (Topper practically played the same fills everytime). So some stuff comes across as somewhat distasteful, but I still prefer Pete to Terry because Pete was at least competent on the non-rock tunes.
If your a drummer, put up samples of your playing so we can decide if you are qualified to decide what drummers we are all allowed to like. I bet any amount of money you cant play half as well as "Tory Crimes". I bet you play like ass.

Pete Howard gives me a pounding headache but I keep my opinions to myself. Becuae it was 30 years ago and nobody cares.
Yeah so says you. Why do you need to be a drummer to decide if you like what a drummer is playing? It's all down to personal taste, this is a Clash discussion board and everyone is welcome to their view.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Clashy
Corner Soul

Post by Clashy »

Talk about something important like when the "Rat Patrol from Fort Bragg" 30th aniversary is coming out. Stop with the arguing over things that happened 30 years ago that you cant change. If you want "chops" listen to Rush for fucks sake. THIS IS PUNK ROCK :!:

signing off

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

My dear "Clashy" - I, too, would like to hear some of Matedog's playing, And something tells me (though I don't know the man) that he's probably really, really good.

Further - he didn't attempt to tell anyone what they should or should not like. He was "discussing" - as this is a "discussion board".

And finally - it's "if YOU'RE a drummer...", not "if your a drummer..."

you dumb motherfucker.
Strong shoes is what we got and when they're hot they're hot!
- Marky Dread and his fabulous Screaming Blue Messiahs

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Clashy wrote:Talk about something important like when the "Rat Patrol from Fort Bragg" 30th aniversary is coming out. Stop with the arguing over things that happened 30 years ago that you cant change. If you want "chops" listen to Rush for fucks sake. THIS IS PUNK ROCK :!:

signing off
For a change of atmosphere.

OK Mr. 3 posts thanks for your input.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Clashy
Corner Soul

Post by Clashy »

Marky Dread wrote:
Clashy wrote:Talk about something important like when the "Rat Patrol from Fort Bragg" 30th aniversary is coming out. Stop with the arguing over things that happened 30 years ago that you cant change. If you want "chops" listen to Rush for fucks sake. THIS IS PUNK ROCK :!:

signing off

Your welcome mister 11173 posts. Have a life much?

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Clashy wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

signing off

Your welcome mister 11173 posts. Have a life much?
Again, laddie - it's "YOU'RE welcome...", not "your welcome".

You really wanna keep playing?

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

Clashy wrote:break what lazy gits on the forums 23 hours a day, etc. etc.
True, it's an improvement over Marc Jacobs' disappointingly competent grammar. But I'm sensing a bit too little "oi mate tahts teh pisstake!!1!" and a bit too much doing it for the fans.

4.6. Lacking a certain je ne sais quoi.

Try it with more IRAQ KKK WARPLANE DUPLATES next time.

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Rat Patrol wrote:
Clashy wrote:break what lazy gits on the forums 23 hours a day, etc. etc.
True, it's an improvement over Marc Jacobs' disappointingly competent grammar. But I'm sensing a bit too little "oi mate tahts teh pisstake!!1!" and a bit too much doing it for the fans.

4.6. Lacking a certain je ne sais quoi.

Try it with more IRAQ KKK WARPLANE DUPLATES next time.
Ratty - I like ya and you're (not YOUR) a clever guy and all, but -

huh?

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Between the direction this thread has taken and the Pats win, it's like Christmas has come way early this year.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Christmas has always beffudled me.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

signing off
The Rat Patrol reissue has been discussed on here quite often, along with plenty other aspects of the Clash. This is a Clash discussion forum, after all. I can't understand what you've got your knickers in a twist about.

ps. I bet Matey's great on the drums. You don't play with flaming drumsticks unless you're quite competent.

There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Heston wrote: You don't play with flaming drumsticks unless you're quite competent.
Well, he might have set them on fire by mistake.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Inder forgot to take his new-poster herpes medication. It always leads to eruptions of dickheads with poor grammar skills. And, in this case, a charming fellow who equates Rat Patrol From Fort Bragg with "PUNK ROCK."
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:Inder forgot to take his new-poster herpes medication. It always leads to eruptions of dickheads with poor grammar skills. And, in this case, a charming fellow who equates Rat Patrol From Fort Bragg with "PUNK ROCK."
Obviously suffering from cool confusion.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia