The first time you heard CtC

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Safe European Home
Junco Partner

The first time you heard CtC

Post by Safe European Home »

The first time I heard Cut the Crap i had no backstory on the new members. I had never heard anything quite like it. It provoked emotions of confusion,humor,and sheer terror. Its been my favorite album ever since.
IMCT-the funniest guys on the breadline

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Re: The first time you heard CtC

Post by Flex »

I don't know if I remember the first time I heard it (I remember narrowly avoiding buying it as my first Clash album). It's just become such an embedded part of my existence (you know, existentially speaking) that I can't imagine a life outside of Its presence.

It is the alpha and the omega.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

coffeepotman
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by coffeepotman »

I got the 12 inch This is England first and quite liked it. When I got CTC I think I went into shock.

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

Safe European Home wrote:It provoked emotions of confusion,humor,and sheer terror. Its been my favorite album ever since.
And this, friends, is why we love The Clash so much we hate them.

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

I don't really remember the first time, but CTC ended up being the only CD I took with me to camp once. For 3 months. On an island in the Pacific (Vancouver island, but still — it was in the middle of forest).

:cool:

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

I remember it only too well. I walked into a record shop in Tottenham Court Road and saw it for the first time. I had heard This Is England and loved it and the cover of CTC hinted at other gems inside. I ran home to Russel Square, slapped it on the turntable and cranked up the sound and the rest as they say is history or at least should be confined to history. Disappointment only matched by my first hearing of Earthquake Weather. The higher the expectation the deeper the fall :disshame:

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Bought the cassette when it came out. I wasn't a punk fan yet, but I knew the radio-friendly and MTV-friendly songs. I was confused and bored by what I heard and soon sold it. It took years for me to get another copy, by that time having acquired a number of comedy albums to my collection.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

I bought it on vinyl the day it was released. It was the first Clash album released since I'd gotten into them, so I was very excited, especially after hearing the This Is England single. I rushed home on the bus, slightly confused by the wretched sleeve and the sinister inner-sleeve communique.

I distinctly remember the opening bars of Dictator, and thinking there was something wrong with my copy, there seemed to be eight songs going on at once. My eyebrows suddenly raised at the first off-key horn squonk, and I realized this was no London Calling.

In time I grew to like it, though it was really put in the shade by the first BAD album at the time.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

I didn't grow to like and haven't to this day despite owning it on vinyl (and on CD) for over 25 years. Every few years I give it another go thinking that it can't be all that bad but............

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

I picked it up long, long after having picked up all the other Clash CDs and the BAD and Havana 3ams that I could track down. I listened to it for a bit, then put it away, then half-listened to it while I was revising a couple of times. I then filed it away and never listened to it until our live blogging.

http://ccontrol.blogspot.com/2010/06/li ... -crap.html

I tried to dig it out this morning and some benevolent soul had removed it from it's case and left no clues as to where I'd find it. I put on Global a Go-Go instead.

Now that's a nice way to start a day.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

My story was pretty much like Dr. M's.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:My story was pretty much like Dr. M's.
Gen X powers, activate!
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Gen X powers, activate!
Kill the Millenials!
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

JennyB wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Gen X powers, activate!
Kill the Millenials!
I'm in.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Gen X powers, activate!
Kill the Millenials!
Hey, Hoy, I've got a cup of Bruce juice for you. (Get ready, J, take him out at the knees.)