The Clash 2 Observations Thread

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
101Walterton
The Best

Re: The Clash 2 Observations Thread

Post by 101Walterton »

Flex wrote:
20 Aug 2018, 4:39pm
matedog wrote:
20 Aug 2018, 4:26pm
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Clash_discography

TIL "Are You Red...y" made it to #85 on the Australian singles charts in 85.
australia is totally insane.
Did they tour there or something??

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

101Walterton wrote:
20 Aug 2018, 4:53pm
Flex wrote:
matedog wrote:

The explanation (confirming Flex's assertion) in one picture:
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

matedog wrote:

Shoulda been a SMASH.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Heston

Post by Heston »

101Walterton wrote:
20 Aug 2018, 4:53pm
Flex wrote:
matedog wrote:

They visited Australia once in 1982.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

Really surprises me that This Is England was their best-selling single in Ireland (not counting the re-releases).
Who pfaffed the pfaff? Who got pfaffed tonight?

Heston

Post by Heston »

Olaf wrote:
20 Aug 2018, 5:32pm
Really surprises me that This Is England was their best-selling single in Ireland (not counting the re-releases).
Even more bizarrely, the Swedish made The Call Up and This Is Radio Clash their biggest hits!

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Olaf wrote:
20 Aug 2018, 5:32pm
The Irish charts could be funny. As a kid I remember a song called One Day at a Time Sweet Jesus being No.1 for almost a year (kid you not). We did have the Rats but think punk was a bit slower getting to the south of Ireland as opposed to the north where you had the undertones and the fingers. Plus the Clash played twice here in 84 and were getting a lot of airplay so I think we were merely finally giving them their due.

deny
Long Time Jerk

Post by deny »

Heston wrote:
20 Aug 2018, 5:21pm
matedog wrote:

Shoulda been a SMASH.
I don't know whether you are being sarcastic there Heston but I do like some of the live versions.

Cheers

Mike
Joining the Street Parade

Heston

Post by Heston »

deny wrote:
20 Aug 2018, 7:07pm
Heston wrote:
matedog wrote:

Shoulda been a SMASH.
I don't know whether you are being sarcastic there Heston but I do like some of the live versions.

Cheers

Mike
No mate, I was totally serious lol. I actually think it could have been a bigger hit than This Is England with the right mix (ie. a louder Joe vocal). As much as we all dislike it now, that '1985' sound wasn't too different to what Dead Or Alive were having hits with at the time, and it is a very catchy song. This Is England is great but rather morose and not really a 'radio' song.

I do like the live versions of "Are You Red...y" as well, they really should have recorded it (and the rest of the album) like that.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Heston wrote:
20 Aug 2018, 7:27pm
deny wrote:
Heston wrote:
matedog wrote:

Shoulda been a SMASH.

Cheers

Mike
No mate, I was totally serious lol. I actually think it could have been a bigger hit than This Is England with the right mix (ie. a louder Joe vocal). As much as we all dislike it now, that '1985' sound wasn't too different to what Dead Or Alive were having hits with at the time, and it is a very catchy song. This Is England is great but rather morose and not really a 'radio' song.

I do like the live versions of "Are You Red...y" as well, they really should have recorded it (and the rest of the album) like that.
Dead Or Alive weren't a patch on the Clash!!

Heston

Post by Heston »

101Walterton wrote:
20 Aug 2018, 8:19pm
Heston wrote:
deny wrote:
Heston wrote:
matedog wrote:

Shoulda been a SMASH.

Cheers

Mike

Well of course mate haha. My point being they were having big hits like You Spin Me Right Round with a sound not so dissimilar to Are You Red...y.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Heston wrote:
20 Aug 2018, 8:22pm
101Walterton wrote:
Heston wrote:
deny wrote:
Heston wrote:

Shoulda been a SMASH.

Cheers

Mike

Well of course mate haha. My point being they were having big hits like You Spin Me Right Round with a sound not so dissimilar to Are You Red...y.
You are being one eyed about this.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

When I joined Columbia House back in 85—practically a rite of passage back then—that Dead or Alive album was one of my first ten selections for a penny (not one of my preferred picks, but rounding out the ten). It was not good. A single and eight or nine b-sides.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Heston

Post by Heston »

101Walterton wrote:
20 Aug 2018, 8:23pm
Heston wrote:
20 Aug 2018, 8:22pm
101Walterton wrote:
Heston wrote:
deny wrote:

Cheers

Mike

You are being one eyed about this.
Fuck, I searched for the pun as well. Forgot about the eye patch!

Heston

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Aug 2018, 8:25pm
When I joined Columbia House back in 85—practically a rite of passage back then—that Dead or Alive album was one of my first ten selections for a penny (not one of my preferred picks, but rounding out the ten). It was not good. A single and eight or nine b-sides.
Oh God, they were shit. But contrast and compare these two songs and tell me Bernie's finger wasn't slightly on the pulse with CtC...