The Clash 2 Observations Thread

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: The Clash 2 Observations Thread

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
20 Aug 2018, 8:29pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Aug 2018, 8:25pm
When I joined Columbia House back in 85—practically a rite of passage back then—that Dead or Alive album was one of my first ten selections for a penny (not one of my preferred picks, but rounding out the ten). It was not good. A single and eight or nine b-sides.
Oh God, they were shit. But contrast and compare these two songs and tell me Bernie's finger wasn't slightly on the pulse with CtC...

The problem is that You Spin Me Round is competently done and Fingerpoppin' is … not. And Bernie believed he was shakin' shit up massively, and he was just truing to emulate a bland trend, and doing it poorly.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Aug 2018, 8:33pm
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
When I joined Columbia House back in 85—practically a rite of passage back then—that Dead or Alive album was one of my first ten selections for a penny (not one of my preferred picks, but rounding out the ten). It was not good. A single and eight or nine b-sides.
Oh God, they were shit. But contrast and compare these two songs and tell me Bernie's finger wasn't slightly on the pulse with CtC...

The problem is that You Spin Me Round is competently done and Fingerpoppin' is … not. And Bernie believed he was shakin' shit up massively, and he was just truing to emulate a bland trend, and doing it poorly.
Yeah, true. I still think Are You Red...y could have been a decent sized hit with a more focused mix.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Heston wrote:
20 Aug 2018, 8:26pm
101Walterton wrote:
20 Aug 2018, 8:23pm
Heston wrote:
20 Aug 2018, 8:22pm
101Walterton wrote:
20 Aug 2018, 8:19pm
Heston wrote:
20 Aug 2018, 7:27pm

No mate, I was totally serious lol. I actually think it could have been a bigger hit than This Is England with the right mix (ie. a louder Joe vocal). As much as we all dislike it now, that '1985' sound wasn't too different to what Dead Or Alive were having hits with at the time, and it is a very catchy song. This Is England is great but rather morose and not really a 'radio' song.

I do like the live versions of "Are You Red...y" as well, they really should have recorded it (and the rest of the album) like that.
Dead Or Alive weren't a patch on the Clash!!
Well of course mate haha. My point being they were having big hits like You Spin Me Right Round with a sound not so dissimilar to Are You Red...y.
You are being one eyed about this.
Fuck, I searched for the pun as well. Forgot about the eye patch!
I just heard that penny drop from here :mrgreen:

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Heston wrote:
20 Aug 2018, 8:40pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Yeah, true. I still think Are You Red...y could have been a decent sized hit with a more focused mix.
The only good thing about You Spin Me Round is that it is better than the cover version (lowest compliment possible).

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

101Walterton wrote:
20 Aug 2018, 8:43pm
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

The only good thing about You Spin Me Round is that it is better than the cover version (lowest compliment possible).
I like it as melodramatic kitsch. I don't turn the radio over when it comes on.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Silent Majority wrote:
21 Aug 2018, 3:07am
101Walterton wrote:
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:

The original or the recent cover?

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

101Walterton wrote:
21 Aug 2018, 3:44am
Silent Majority wrote:
21 Aug 2018, 3:07am
101Walterton wrote:
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

The original or the recent cover?
The original. The recent one is worthless shit.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

Low Down Low wrote:
20 Aug 2018, 6:21pm
Olaf wrote:
20 Aug 2018, 5:32pm
Really surprises me that This Is England was their best-selling single in Ireland (not counting the re-releases).
The Irish charts could be funny. As a kid I remember a song called One Day at a Time Sweet Jesus being No.1 for almost a year (kid you not). We did have the Rats but think punk was a bit slower getting to the south of Ireland as opposed to the north where you had the undertones and the fingers. Plus the Clash played twice here in 84 and were getting a lot of airplay so I think we were merely finally giving them their due.
Just in time to catch them at their musical peak!

I'm glad you made me look up One Day at a Time though, not that it's such a great song but it has a pretty interesting history.
Who pfaffed the pfaff? Who got pfaffed tonight?

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

More focused = completely remixed by someone with half a brain cell.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Olaf wrote:
21 Aug 2018, 11:47am
Low Down Low wrote:
20 Aug 2018, 6:21pm
Olaf wrote:
20 Aug 2018, 5:32pm
Really surprises me that This Is England was their best-selling single in Ireland (not counting the re-releases).
The Irish charts could be funny. As a kid I remember a song called One Day at a Time Sweet Jesus being No.1 for almost a year (kid you not). We did have the Rats but think punk was a bit slower getting to the south of Ireland as opposed to the north where you had the undertones and the fingers. Plus the Clash played twice here in 84 and were getting a lot of airplay so I think we were merely finally giving them their due.
Just in time to catch them at their musical peak!

I'm glad you made me look up One Day at a Time though, not that it's such a great song but it has a pretty interesting history.
Oh yeah it has for sure, nothing against the song at all I hasten to add. I'd actually forgotten it was written by Kris Kristofferson. But in 79 I was really getting into the charts, there was a whole wave of great new rock music coming through and here we were every sunday, eagerly listening to the chart rundown, "And STILL No.1 Gloria and One Day At A Time." Imagine a whole year of that, I mean come on, why not give someone else a go sweet jesus!