Clash songs similar to others artist`songs

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Re: Clash songs similar to others artist`songs

Post by Heston »

Kory wrote:
04 Apr 2018, 4:30pm
Heston wrote:
04 Apr 2018, 4:07pm
Kory wrote:
04 Apr 2018, 4:02pm
Heston wrote:
04 Apr 2018, 3:56pm
Kory wrote:
04 Apr 2018, 3:50pm
They have a big young fanbase over here. My bandmate is a teacher and tells me loads of the young lads like Oasis. He actively leads them toward the Clash and the Jam and has had a few success stories.
Is that kind of thing common for the UK? In the States, once a band has been around for like 7 years, they are dad rock.
I think the retro scene is quite healthy over here, for better or worse.
I suppose that's better than forgetting the past, even if it means we're reminded of some of the dreck as well.
I think young people are less ageist now than my generation used to be. I used to think of bands like the Stones as being irrelevant fossils when I was 16, when they were only in their late thirties. Yet you see plenty of teens going to Who and Stones concerts now.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
04 Apr 2018, 4:37pm
I think young people are less ageist now than my generation used to be. I used to think of bands like the Stones as being irrelevant fossils when I was 16, when they were only in their late thirties. Yet you see plenty of teens going to Who and Stones concerts now.
When I teach my rock class, I canvas students for their tastes and most have been into 60s and 70s bands. My working theory has been parental influence.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 Apr 2018, 4:48pm
Heston wrote:
When I teach my rock class, I canvas students for their tastes and most have been into 60s and 70s bands. My working theory has been parental influence.
Yeah, I think that "Father to son" thing is a phenomena that wasn't around when I was in my teens. I hated my Dad's music and would openly laugh at his record collection. He would also scoff at my music but I used to catch him off guard singing Death Or Glory. :mrgreen:
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
04 Apr 2018, 5:28pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
Yeah, I think that "Father to son" thing is a phenomena that wasn't around when I was in my teens. I hated my Dad's music and would openly laugh at his record collection. He would also scoff at my music but I used to catch him off guard singing Death Or Glory. :mrgreen:
My parents definitely had no use for rock. My dad liked old country, my mother was more into Big Band era songs.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
When I saw Weller the other day the majority of the audience was 50 something men (and women) however I was surprised how many young people were there and kids wearing The Jam T shirts although they wouldn’t have been born when The Jam split.
I think there is a ‘cooling off’ period between a band being Dad Rock and then retro cool again.

All puns in this post were at the intention of the writer.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
It's a difficult call really regarding the parental thing. My mum had Sweet/Slade/T.Rex/Yardbirds/Donovan records which became mine and I stll love to this day. At a certain age back then you could only be as cool as what your parents listened to. Nowadays (the computer age) much has changed and you no longer need your parents record collection. There are many more outlets to listen to music for free (Youtube etc) and loads of sites informing you what they consider to be cool. That top 10 for example with all the Oasis tracks will influence someone somewhere. Oasis like them or loathe them are very much like The Beatles in terms of what your parents listened to. I will also add that the overkill surrounding them here at least would affect a lot of the younger audience as music played on jukeboxes in drinking establishments in much the same way as Slade/T.Rex affected me.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

daredevil
Unknown Immortal

Post by daredevil »

Heston wrote:
04 Apr 2018, 3:39pm
Marky Dread wrote:
04 Apr 2018, 3:35pm
oliver wrote:
04 Apr 2018, 12:04pm
Top 100 British songs of all time http://charts.radiox.co.uk/2018/

10) I Bet You Look Good On The Dancefloor - Arctic Monkeys
9) Champagne Supernova - Oasis
8) There is a Light That Never Goes Out - The Smiths
7) Slide Away - Oasis
6) Wonderwall - Oasis
5) Bittersweet Symphony - The Verve
4) I Am The Resurrection - Stone Roses
3) Don't Look Back In Anger - Oasis
2) Bohemian Rhapsody - Queen
1) Live Forever - Oasis

How on earth?
No Sex Pistols in the entire 100....bullshit two bob list!
I wonder who they canvassed? I couldn't be bothered to read but there are some glaring omissions and an insane Oasis bias. "Slide Away" doesn't strike me as a top ten song of anything.
I'm surprised there isn't a song by The Kinks on that list.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
I wonder if that's a regional thing, too. When we first moved here, I was shocked to learn that most people my age only listened to classic rock (this was in the late 80s). And their kids now mainly listen to classic rock. I'm not talking about the Kinks, either. It's like the cycle of abuse.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
05 Apr 2018, 9:51am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
I wonder if that's a regional thing, too. When we first moved here, I was shocked to learn that most people my age only listened to classic rock (this was in the late 80s). And their kids now mainly listen to classic rock. I'm not talking about the Kinks, either. It's like the cycle of abuse.
The strangest thing I've found is that I haven't had a single student who's been into any punk or post-punk from the 70s or 80s. Not a one.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 Apr 2018, 10:18am
JennyB wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
The strangest thing I've found is that I haven't had a single student who's been into any punk or post-punk from the 70s or 80s. Not a one.
That is crazy. Not even new wave? No Smiths or Cure fans?
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
05 Apr 2018, 10:22am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 Apr 2018, 10:18am
JennyB wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
That is crazy. Not even new wave? No Smiths or Cure fans?
A couple Smiths fans along the way. They generally broken down into 60s/70s classic rock fans or contemporary hip hop, pop, or indie fans, with a few country fans thrown in. Many have a familiarity with punk/post-punk, but they aren't fans.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
22 Mar 2013, 11:50am
Silent Majority wrote:
Heston wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
jayrok wrote:1-2 Crush on You = Twist And Shout. Both are shit
Who doesn't like Twist and Shout? That's a great song.
Indeed. I think Crush on You is pretty neat as well.
Yeah, I like it a lot, but I can understand someone finding it a little cheesy. Whereas Twist and Shout, both the Beatles and Isleys versions are emblematic of why I listen to music at all.
Not gonna argue with that. Twist and Shout is brilliantly raw and represents all that is great about Rock n Roll music.
I've just been texting Deny discussing what tracks borrowed what from where. When I remembered this old thread and fucking hell Heston is applauding a song from before I was even born. Wonders never cease.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

Sounds like The Jags were Clash fans —

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Inder wrote:
20 Apr 2020, 2:59pm

Football fans more like. I only played The Jags album just yesterday funny enough.

I thought about Remote Control obviously but that whole beat is a 70s football chant.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Marky Dread wrote:
20 Apr 2020, 3:22pm
Inder wrote:
20 Apr 2020, 2:59pm

Football fans more like. I only played The Jags album just yesterday funny enough.

I thought about Remote Control obviously but that whole beat is a 70s football chant.
But yeah Clash fans.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia