Scottish bootlegs

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
simplehumblechap
Corner Soul

Re: Scottish bootlegs

Post by simplehumblechap »

Olaf wrote:Good luck, especially with selling the gig that never happened.
for your information mouth, I informed graham jones over 3 weeks ago (!) that the glasgow uni tape is actually blank owing to the fact that i had prepared the tape for recording (including marking the details on the cassette box) prior to the cancalltion of the gig. the blank tape (in the box marked with the date of the gig) then remained amongst the other tapes in the collection, leading it to be listed along with all the others.

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

Like I said, good luck with selling them.
Who pfaffed the pfaff? Who got pfaffed tonight?

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Did the Clash play Edinburgh in 1983 or is it a typo in the original post?

By the way, I hope these gigs filter into circulation sooner or later, there's no two words that annoy me more than "private collection."
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:Did the Clash play Edinburgh in 1983 or is it a typo in the original post?

By the way, I hope these gigs filter into circulation sooner or later, there's no two words that annoy me more than "private collection."
Everything eventually leaks out. It's just unfortunate that private interest in this case wins out over an opportunity to make a kind gesture to fans.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Toppers Boppers
Long Time Jerk

Post by Toppers Boppers »

Whatever you decide to do with these tapes Steven, just do the right thing and keep them bloody SAFE. Let us know what Graham says.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

simplehumblechap wrote:Hi folks
No i didn't disappear - I was off on holiday trying to catch a bit of the old skin cancer.
the tapes are still here and are safe. Ive been reading up on how to get them onto cd (a few of you pm'd me kindly offering this service which is cool but I would like to do it myself. If I can't get the best results though I may drop you a note!)
I've invested in equipment so am trying my hand at it.

To let you all know I might be putting the tapes on ebay because since i first posted about them here Ive had incredible financial offers for them. I wont say what ive been offered but let just say that if people seriously want to give me such money for a set of dusty old tapes I'm not really prepared to argue with them. lol Especially since I've just moved into a new house and my motor tax is due in October.
Maybe you see flogging them on ebay as "not punk" or whatever, but I never really cared for the attitudes on punk in the first place, (neither did the origginal punks who all eneded up rich and fat from the proceeds of their work!)

Ill keep this board posted about any ebay developments. Although If you buy them you must know that you can get the original tapes, but that I'll be keeping cdr copies for myself. :)

Steven
Hey Steven, thanks for the update.

As a fan first, I'm concerned with these being distributed equitably and fairly. Still, they are your tapes and I understand the appeal. If you do decide to throw them up on ebay, just notify us here so we have a chance to bid.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Chuck Mangione
Spitting Image

Post by Chuck Mangione »

matedog wrote:
simplehumblechap wrote:Hi folks
No i didn't disappear - I was off on holiday trying to catch a bit of the old skin cancer.
the tapes are still here and are safe. Ive been reading up on how to get them onto cd (a few of you pm'd me kindly offering this service which is cool but I would like to do it myself. If I can't get the best results though I may drop you a note!)
I've invested in equipment so am trying my hand at it.

To let you all know I might be putting the tapes on ebay because since i first posted about them here Ive had incredible financial offers for them. I wont say what ive been offered but let just say that if people seriously want to give me such money for a set of dusty old tapes I'm not really prepared to argue with them. lol Especially since I've just moved into a new house and my motor tax is due in October.
Maybe you see flogging them on ebay as "not punk" or whatever, but I never really cared for the attitudes on punk in the first place, (neither did the origginal punks who all eneded up rich and fat from the proceeds of their work!)

Ill keep this board posted about any ebay developments. Although If you buy them you must know that you can get the original tapes, but that I'll be keeping cdr copies for myself. :)

Steven

Hey Steven, thanks for the update.

As a fan first, I'm concerned with these being distributed equitably and fairly. Still, they are your tapes and I understand the appeal. If you do decide to throw them up on ebay, just notify us here so we have a chance to bid.
And to also make sure that whoever buys the original tapes, whether they're from these forums or not, that they make sure those shows get/got uploaded (and/or that they're willing and capable to upload them just in case you mistakenly forgot to upload your CD-R copy of a show[s]). Basically, just make sure each and every (not being greedy, it's just that every single show is vital) show gets uploaded and [whoever is in custody] take very good care of the tapes/shows.

Good to have you back.
Also, how much are you asking for those Jam and Damned?
Thanks.

Chuck Mangione
Spitting Image

Post by Chuck Mangione »

Double post.

TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by TeddyB Not Logged In »

I really can't imagine why anyone would be interesting in paying "incredible" money for these. It's not like The Clash are not well-represented on live tape, or that these are of superior quality.

CorwoodRep
Unknown Immortal

Post by CorwoodRep »

My suspicion is that there are no tapes.
"Put down the meth, boy." - TeddyB, 2013.

Chairman Ralph
Long Time Jerk

Post by Chairman Ralph »

Billy Joel wrote:My suspicion is that there are no tapes.
Mine too: that said, this discussion prompted me to revisit my tape box, as I have one that's not on that list -- purporting to come from Edinburgh University '77. It's got to be fall '77, because it has the setlist of the time (London's Burning/Complete Control/1977/Jail Guitar Doors/Remote Control/Capital Radio/Hate and War/Police and Thieves/The Prisoner): about 25 minutes, give or take. I got it when I went to London, back in '89. However, when I looked at BMC, Edinburgh Uni doesn't appear, so I'm assuming it's a mis-marked copy of another gig -- but even if it's not -- I'm hardly imagining that it's gonna take the place of a pension plan... :mrgreen: Anyone?

white man
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by white man »

TeddyB Not Logged In wrote:I really can't imagine why anyone would be interesting in paying "incredible" money for these. It's not like The Clash are not well-represented on live tape, or that these are of superior quality.
I would dare to say they would only be of interest(financially) to people on here.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Incredible financial offers.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

rcs
Unknown Immortal

Post by rcs »

Chairman Ralph wrote: I'm hardly imagining that it's gonna take the place of a pension plan... :mrgreen: Anyone?
maybe my 200.5k plan
If you don't hate the Clash, you don't love them enough - Olaf

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:Incredible financial offers.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft