Scottish bootlegs

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Re: Scottish bootlegs

Post by Olaf »

I think it's a case of

Who pfaffed the pfaff? Who got pfaffed tonight?

Hammy
Dirty Punk

Post by Hammy »

Hi Steve,
let me know how much you get for any single tape, (i'm the guy who had the Apollo 'Rude Boy' tape that's been dismissed as a hoax).

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

I'd be delighted to hear how much he's made on these.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

What a load of haggis.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Safe European Home
Junco Partner

Post by Safe European Home »

H
IMCT-the funniest guys on the breadline

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Safe European Home wrote:H
Bomb.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Hammy
Dirty Punk

Post by Hammy »

Tut, tut ...what would your guru Joe have made of such Scottish bashing.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Hammy wrote:Tut, tut ...what would your guru Joe have made of such Scottish bashing.
Didn't realise anyone was bashing Scotland only someone who is of a greedy nature. Shows up here bragging about a bunch of tapes to see if there was any interest. Really a Clash forum like they might be interested...fuck off!

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

Hammy wrote:Tut, tut ...what would your guru Joe have made of such Scottish bashing.
He would say a grimy audience recording has no currency except as tape trade for somebody else's grimy audience recording, and to stop being naive and/or disingenuous thinking people will pay good money for this or that a tape-trading fan site is going to respond to ransom threats. See the London Calling Rock Band multi-tracks thread or your pick of any of the 75 eBay scam threads on here to see how well that goes over. We know what circa-'77 audience recording quality is because every single show is catalogued and traded. If you ain't Mickey Foote peddling the stuff you taped off the 'board for the band's archives or aren't risking lawsuit from your bosses at the TV/radio station for leaking a broadcast master from the archives...you don't have something A-level enough quality to have one cent's profit in it. New show or none.

Want to circulate...make a trade with someone here (there are plenty of folks here eighteen-deep in rare stuff), or contact Graham at http://www.blackmarketclash.com to deal with the most impeccably trustworthy archivist in the land instead of a bunch of us messageboard assholes. If neither is any fun for hostage-taking thrills, no skin off our backs. A tape no one's willing to share is just as unheard as every other non-circulating one. Nothing of additional significance is lost.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Rat Patrol wrote:
He would say a grimy audience recording has no currency except as tape trade for somebody else's grimy audience recording, and to stop being naive and/or disingenuous thinking people will pay good money for this or that a tape-trading fan site is going to respond to ransom threats. See the London Calling Rock Band multi-tracks thread or your pick of any of the 75 eBay scam threads on here to see how well that goes over. We know what circa-'77 audience recording quality is because every single show is catalogued and traded. If you ain't Mickey Foote peddling the stuff you taped off the 'board for the band's archives or aren't risking lawsuit from your bosses at the TV/radio station for leaking a broadcast master from the archives...you don't have something A-level enough quality to have one cent's profit in it. New show or none.

Want to circulate...make a trade with someone here (there are plenty of folks here eighteen-deep in rare stuff), or contact Graham at http://www.blackmarketclash.com to deal with the most impeccably trustworthy archivist in the land instead of a bunch of us messageboard assholes. If neither is any fun for hostage-taking thrills, no skin off our backs. A tape no one's willing to share is just as unheard as every other non-circulating one. Nothing of additional significance is lost.
Brilliantly put across RP. Now where did I put my eloquence manual?

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

dave202
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by dave202 »

I remember Wendy! I'd been to the gig in the Caird Hall in Dundee, January 1980, and went to a local disco, Junction 9, afterwards. Chatting to a couple of other punters who had been to see The Clash, we were approached by a Cockney-type who asked for a cigarette. We said no. He asked if we knew who he was. I told him, "You're the tosser who fell from the speaker stack during 'White Riot' aren't you?" Mick left without a fag.

Junction 9 was a 'rock' disco, Led Zep and Deep Purple being the mainstays, a bit of Lynyrd Skynyrd and Dylan sometimes, but Andy Pearson looked after me and this night he put on the 12" version of 'London Calling'. I was up and away, dancing with myself, until a beauty came up and started dancing with me. No minger, and no Dundonian, I was thinking who the hell she was. As the track faded out and the intro of 'Armagideaon Time' rumbled in, she said, "Dance to this!" Like I would refuse. There is a bit where she gasps on the track, and she told me it was her. Curiousity got to me, "Who are you?" I asked. "Wendy. My boyfriend's in the band," she said. "Shite! Not Mick Jones, I've just rubbished him," I replied. "No, Topper," Whew!

Wendy took me up,introduced me to Topper and we had a great wee chinwag. Unknown to me at the time, Joe and Paul were downstairs at the Central Bar, and rather sadly Joe never got the chance to meet me. My loss more than his.

Leaving the Junction with my mate John, he got interviewed by a tv crew from Nationwide, a BBC show of the time. John had flared jeans, cowboy boots, a cheese-cloth shirt and brown velvet jacket. He looked as un-punk as you could get, if that exists as a phrase. The asked him what he thought of The Clash. "Shite," he answered, "Black Sabbath Rule!" It was never used on television.

What a night though! See The Clash and Mickey Dread, meet Mick, insult him, get a pint off of Topper and a dance off of his girl, and then in a rather surreal moment on the way home, played football in the City Square against some of the punters waiting for Genesis tickets which were due to go on sale the following day. We got a policeman to referree for a few minutes, he was the only guy with a whistle. Loud chants of "Who's the bastard in the dark blue?" were met with a smile and a wave.

bmc
Dirty Punk

Post by bmc »

What happened to all the Scottish bootlegs? Seems to have disappeared a long time ago and no sign…

NoMoreHugh
Long Time Jerk
Location: Home is a black leather jacket fitting sweetly to my brain

Post by NoMoreHugh »

Why do people feel the need to get personal against people because they dont want to share Bootlegs ?

The bootlegs are worthless and always sound awful anyway so who cares but if you want to hear them i wouldnt think being rude to people would achieve that.

I remember about 5 years ago someone from the CSI site was really treated badly hear and i know he has some fantastic studio material of Carbon silicon with full drums all playing faster and more exciting than the final releases . Why that stuff was never used is beyond me as it sounds amazing. Nearest i have heard to the clash.

I have to say there are some really kind people on this site that do share and you have to say they are legendary but ...

No one has a given right to have any bootleg stuff belonging to someone else - there is sometimes good reasons out of respect why they are not shared.

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

NoMoreHugh wrote:Why do people feel the need to get personal against people because they dont want to share Bootlegs ?

The bootlegs are worthless and always sound awful anyway so who cares but if you want to hear them i wouldnt think being rude to people would achieve that.

I remember about 5 years ago someone from the CSI site was really treated badly hear and i know he has some fantastic studio material of Carbon silicon with full drums all playing faster and more exciting than the final releases . Why that stuff was never used is beyond me as it sounds amazing. Nearest i have heard to the clash.

I have to say there are some really kind people on this site that do share and you have to say they are legendary but ...

No one has a given right to have any bootleg stuff belonging to someone else - there is sometimes good reasons out of respect why they are not shared.
I agree with most of what you're saying, but these kinds of people are asking for ass-kicking:

1. The profiteers who withhold for absurd sums of money. But that's not a tape-trading issue to begin with.

2. People who boast and taunt about all the gold they've got but refuse to share. If you want to keep your recordings private, keep your thoughts private too. Don't talk about it unless somebody else asks or forces the issue, and dispense with your feelings quickly and matter-of-factly. People who feed their egos from that are acting like assholes, and should be called out for it.

3. People who blackmail or milk the things they don't want to share for personal leverage. i.e. "I've got a motherlode of this, and I never share...but if you internet assholes aren't nice to me and don't do exactly what I say and don't let ME be the biggest internet asshole around...the 0.001% chance I *might* share closes and I take my ball and go home." That's dirty pool, and if the game is rigged so you won't share what you already don't plan to share you're an asshole for trying to terrorize people with it.

4. People who insincerely trade for a rare tape under the guise of sharing it, then horde and/or be an asshole once they've got it in their collection. That's an abuse of the tape-trading community's trust, especially when the original taper may want it shared and want somebody else to do the sharing (usually because they don't personally know any reputable traders or want to get involved with the mechanics of it). If the original intent is to set it free, somebody who thwarts that intent is doing wrong. Hard to prove, however...the 3rd party has to have verifiable proof that the hording intermediary pulled a fast one to make this charge stick.

That's about it. And all of those conditions have one thing in common: people being all-around, general-purpose assholes for the sake of being assholes. It doesn't truly have anything to do with their bootlegs. As long as you're polite about it and don't be an asshole, what you do with your personal recordings is your business and the tape-trading community will respect that. People who don't respect that are acting like ignorant clods or need to learn themselves some tape-trading etiquette.

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

bmc wrote:What happened to all the Scottish bootlegs? Seems to have disappeared a long time ago and no sign…
Fake. The guy purporting to have that motherlode was just using it to jerk and bully people around for kicks. And try to entrap some fool into parting money in a scam. Not only on this board, but a couple individual experienced traders have dealt with this asshole too or chased fruitless leads spread by him. Their conclusion after all those frustrating dealings was that it's all a hoax.

IMCT hasn't gotten one whiff of these rumors since this thread originally started, so the rumors seem to be long dead and debunked.