Bruce's London Calling

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Re: Bruce's London Calling

Post by Heston »

Billy Joel wrote:I like Springstern well enough, I just find that particular cover really grating, showcasing a lot of his vocal limitations/annoying idiosyncrasies, and the saxophone is perhaps the worst complement possible for that song.
Joelston.

It's absolutely terrible.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

drowninghere
Long Time Jerk

Post by drowninghere »

matedog wrote:
Billy Joel wrote:Brilliant gesture, and a terrible, terrible goddamn cover by any definition.
Mediocre? Sure. Terrible? That seems like an unreasonably strong reaction.
[youtube][/youtube]

I can't tell what you find so appalling about it other than the fact that it is someone you feel so negatively about covering someone you feel so strongly about.
I like it. Didn't even know about this - thanks for posting. Seems like a thoughtful, non-cliched tribute. To me, instantaneously one thousand times more appealing than the London Calling cover. Does it suddenly turn horrible at some point?

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Wolter wrote:I caved and watched.

Well sort of. I didn't even make it to "The Ice Age is coming," before closing the window in disgust.

God. Awful.
I finally broke down and watched. I don't hate Bruce or anything, but damn, that was terrible. I play LC on the guitar better than he did, and I suck.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Whoops, doble post.
Last edited by matedog on 25 Jun 2010, 2:31am, edited 1 time in total.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

matedog

Post by matedog »

Billy Joel wrote:I like Springstern well enough, I just find that particular cover really grating, showcasing a lot of his vocal limitations/annoying idiosyncrasies, and the saxophone is perhaps the worst complement possible for that song.
Let's maintain perspective here- who the hell covers Mescaleros tunes? Let alone a major act on a major stage. Yeah his voice is idiosyncratic in a completely different way than Joe was, but that's missing the point. I don't mind the sax, knowing Bruce and Clarence's relationship, it's nice to have his mate open the show with him providing an instrument not used on the original recording.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by TeddyB Not Logged In »

It was a lovely gesture, but wasn't Bruce's idea, it came from Michael Eavis's daughter. Of course it was Bruce who carried it out, but it's not like he said "hey, I love that Coma Girl, we should play that". He does truly admire Joe though.

matedog

Post by matedog »

Heston wrote:
TeddyB Not Logged In wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkumCXjWA2U

The final mix sounds a little better...
An over-impassioned Springsteen is bad enough, but that Gypsy on backing vocals is just awful. Who let that fucker near a mic? He didn't even know the words.
eumaas wrote: :mad:

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

matedog wrote:
Heston wrote:
TeddyB Not Logged In wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkumCXjWA2U

The final mix sounds a little better...
An over-impassioned Springsteen is bad enough, but that Gypsy on backing vocals is just awful. Who let that fucker near a mic? He didn't even know the words.
eumaas wrote: :mad:
gipsy-creams.jpg
gipsy-creams.jpg (50.74 KiB) Viewed 3738 times
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

simo
Long Time Jerk

Post by simo »

Here's a more respectable Coma Girl cover...more true to form but I like it. There's some nice guitar in there.

[youtube][/youtube]

Chuck Mangione
Spitting Image

Post by Chuck Mangione »

Speaking of Coma Girl and tributes, this is also nice and interesting.
Pro skater Jason Adams song for his skate part in Enjoi's "Bag of Suck" is Coma Girl by Joe Strummer and The Mescaleros. The skate film (Bag of Suck) is pretty old (2004?) so I'm thinking it was a tribute to Joe.
[youtube][/youtube]
First song is Love Me Tender by Elvis, Coma Girl starts at 1:09.

Chuck Mangione
Spitting Image

Post by Chuck Mangione »

simo wrote:Here's a more respectable Coma Girl cover...more true to form but I like it. There's some nice guitar in there.

[youtube][/youtube]
I've seen this one. MUCH better tribute/cover than Broos Springstream.

stayfree
Corner Soul

Post by stayfree »

Yeah look man the Boss is great, even strummer himself was a massive fan, check this out:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2009/ju ... lastonbury

yetaca
Bang Ice Geezer

Post by yetaca »

stayfree wrote:Yeah look man the Boss is great, even strummer himself was a massive fan, check this out:

Are you the same 'stayfree' that existed on here many moons ago that was a little kid and you'd get called maxi-pad or something and then get angry??

stayfree
Corner Soul

Post by stayfree »

yetaca wrote:
stayfree wrote:Yeah look man the Boss is great, even strummer himself was a massive fan, check this out:

Are you the same 'stayfree' that existed on here many moons ago that was a little kid and you'd get called maxi-pad or something and then get angry??
Hello yetaca,

Unfortunately not, I just signed up from the link from that rockin facebook group 'Loving the Clash' who post relentlessly on the only band that matters. I suppose 'stay free' was not as individual as I first thought, you can call me 'maxi-pad' if it makes you feel better though, how long has this site been going? I dig it.

CorwoodRep
Unknown Immortal

Post by CorwoodRep »

matedog wrote:
Let's maintain perspective here- who the hell covers Mescaleros tunes?
Pearl Jam did way better than Brooce. Way better. And Pearl Jam sucks.

Ted Leo and that dude from the Foo Fighters, also.
"Put down the meth, boy." - TeddyB, 2013.