The Clash observations thread.

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Kory
Unknown Immortal

Re: The Clash observations thread.

Post by Kory »

Silent Majority wrote:
08 Dec 2022, 6:28pm
Kory wrote:
08 Dec 2022, 2:06pm
Silent Majority wrote:
08 Dec 2022, 5:12am
Kory wrote:
07 Dec 2022, 3:42pm

I'm positive we've talked about this book before, but I can't find it using the search (even by putting the title in quotes). Can anyone find the thread where this book is assessed?
I liked it, it was like an alphabetised chat about every song with an enthusiastic Clash fan over a pint.
Ah, so it's not chronological?
No, it's been over a decade but I distinctly recall an Armigideon Time to .... Zafe European Home format.
That seems like a strange organizational style for a book like this where the author might want people to understand the songs in context. Well, sounds like I should check it out either way.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

https://333sound.com/upcoming-releases/

Looks like 33 1/3 is getting a Sandinista! entry. I hope it's 3 times longer than the longest book in the series. No details yet on what to expect from the approach, so hopefully it's not a throwaway or some really personal testament from the author.

Edit: looks like he's a podcaster of some kind: https://anchor.fm/youforgotone

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
14 Dec 2022, 4:18pm

Looks like 33 1/3 is getting a Sandinista! entry. I hope it's 3 times longer than the longest book in the series. No details yet on what to expect from the approach, so hopefully it's not a throwaway or some really personal testament from the author.

The last sixth of the book will be skipped by most people.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Dec 2022, 5:04pm
Kory wrote:

The internet will be awash with people opining on the best ways to edit the book down to two chapters.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
14 Dec 2022, 5:23pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:

The internet will be awash with people opining on the best ways to edit the book down to two chapters.
While people here will wish it had an extra 200 pages.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Dec 2022, 5:24pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:

In true spirit, a few pages will be written by his kids.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Low Down Low wrote:
14 Dec 2022, 5:53pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:

And some in Hebrew.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Dec 2022, 6:00pm
Low Down Low wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

And some in Hebrew.
sdrawkcab yleritne nettirw eb lliw retpahc eno dnA.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Re:The Clash observations thread.

Post by Low Down Low »

Low Down Low wrote:
14 Dec 2022, 6:08pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Dec 2022, 6:00pm
Low Down Low wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:

And some in Hebrew.
sdrawkcab yleritne nettirw eb lliw retpahc eno dnA.
Ah fuck, I'm only getting the joke now. Penny belatedly dropping :oops:

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Before I found that the S! book was coming out, I had an idea that I might have pitched to the publisher (if I was a good writer) about how most people really hate the album when they first hear it, and then how they come to terms with it (or don't) dictates whether they become a genre slut or not.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
22 Dec 2022, 7:45pm
Before I found that the S! book was coming out, I had an idea that I might have pitched to the publisher (if I was a good writer) about how most people really hate the album when they first hear it, and then how they come to terms with it (or don't) dictates whether they become a genre slut or not.
That's a neat idea. I assume someone has written about it—perhaps confined to academic articles—but how we use genre is quite important. Genre is largely a function of marketing—segmenting audiences to more efficiently target them—but audiences use them, too, to build connections within the music and to other audiences. But it can be a trap when, in effect, we fully accept the marketers' purpose—to be predictable and targets. As consumers, our greatest weapon (or defense, I guess) is being unpredictable, so accepting bands that fuck with genre is really cool. But the essence of fandom is "more of this or else." Like I said, it's a neat idea.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Dec 2022, 7:52pm
Kory wrote:
That's a neat idea. I assume someone has written about it—perhaps confined to academic articles—but how we use genre is quite important. Genre is largely a function of marketing—segmenting audiences to more efficiently target them—but audiences use them, too, to build connections within the music and to other audiences. But it can be a trap when, in effect, we fully accept the marketers' purpose—to be predictable and targets. As consumers, our greatest weapon (or defense, I guess) is being unpredictable, so accepting bands that fuck with genre is really cool. But the essence of fandom is "more of this or else." Like I said, it's a neat idea.
I've been thinking about genre a lot since reading that trip-hop book. A lot of the bands (from Bristol, particularly) didn't like the tag or the association. I think they resented that a journalist came up with the umbrella term and they wanted to think they were all unique (which I understand to a degree), but I think they'd be hard-pressed to make a case that they didn't belong together in people's minds in some way—they are all pretty obviously using the same elements in their sound. As you say, it's easier to talk to other fans of the stuff when you have a name for it, but it also must be like sandpaper when you, the artist, get thrown into a "movement" without thinking you were even a part of one.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
23 Dec 2022, 2:14pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Dec 2022, 7:52pm
Kory wrote:
I've been thinking about genre a lot since reading that trip-hop book. A lot of the bands (from Bristol, particularly) didn't like the tag or the association. I think they resented that a journalist came up with the umbrella term and they wanted to think they were all unique (which I understand to a degree), but I think they'd be hard-pressed to make a case that they didn't belong together in people's minds in some way—they are all pretty obviously using the same elements in their sound. As you say, it's easier to talk to other fans of the stuff when you have a name for it, but it also must be like sandpaper when you, the artist, get thrown into a "movement" without thinking you were even a part of one.
It's funny how much bands hate being considered part of a genre or a scene. Punk bands, grunge bands, no wave bands—over and over they hate the term and deny any connection to any other band. Which, okay, I get not wanting to be lumped in without having a say in it, but the people in these bands are also fans and I'll bet they had no problem identifying genres they liked and lumped various artists together and/or excluded others. Human beings categorize by our very nature.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Kory wrote:

I'm positive we've talked about this book before, but I can't find it using the search (even by putting the title in quotes). Can anyone find the thread where this book is assessed?
Meant to post this awhile ago, but here’s a random page from the book as an example.
Attachments
EC704A33-4C3D-4069-9AA2-D4A7B438789D.jpeg
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

matedog wrote:
23 Dec 2022, 5:36pm
Kory wrote:

Meant to post this awhile ago, but here’s a random page from the book as an example.
Boy, he doesn't like Kingston Advice much, huh? Are they all roughly that short and tossed off?