The Clash observations thread.

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
101Walterton
The Best

Re: The Clash observations thread.

Post by 101Walterton »

C1ashCityRockr wrote:
28 Oct 2018, 2:34pm
101Walterton wrote:
28 Oct 2018, 2:18pm
C1ashCityRockr wrote:
28 Oct 2018, 1:24pm
Kory wrote:
10 Jul 2018, 4:58pm
Well, I'm thoroughly enjoying my Clash tour of London. Today I crossed off Rehearsals (plus the location of the first album cover, obviously), and Wilmcote House (plus the Westway, obviously). It's much better doing this stuff with my wife who will put up with it, rather than the friend I was here with last time.
Do you mind sharing where else you went? I'm heading to London this week and figure I'll hit some sites. I've made some Clash pilgrimages of sorts already—Elgin, Wilmcote, Rehearsals, the old awful mural (RIP), Strummer subway station, etc—but I'm sure there are places I didn't think to go.
Is that The Elgin pub or Elgin Avenue?
If you didn’t make it last time I’d suggest The Chippenham pub on the corner of Shirland Road, Walterton Road and Chippenham Road.
Upstairs is where the Charlie Pigdog Club was where 101ers had a residency. Across the road is where 101 Walterton Road used to be (and my old flat at 89 Chippenham Road 😉).
At the other end of Chippenham Road is (or was) Windsor Castle pub where they played and where the Johnny machine in Protex Blue was.
You can also walk from there to Warrington Crescent where London SS started.
Thanks a lot for these suggestions. Right, I meant Elgin Ave and 101 Walterton (I'll check out Elgin pub this time around). I didn't realize that Chippenham pub was across the street! The first time I went was 2015, so I guess it may have still been open at the time. What a shame... Didn't think to go to Windsor Castle pub or the London SS spot, so I'll try to make that too.
As far as I know The Chippenham is still open but I think the Windsor Castle is closed.

C1ashCityRockr
Dirty Punk

Post by C1ashCityRockr »

101Walterton wrote:
28 Oct 2018, 2:38pm
C1ashCityRockr wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
C1ashCityRockr wrote:
Kory wrote:
Well, I'm thoroughly enjoying my Clash tour of London. Today I crossed off Rehearsals (plus the location of the first album cover, obviously), and Wilmcote House (plus the Westway, obviously). It's much better doing this stuff with my wife who will put up with it, rather than the friend I was here with last time.
Do you mind sharing where else you went? I'm heading to London this week and figure I'll hit some sites. I've made some Clash pilgrimages of sorts already—Elgin, Wilmcote, Rehearsals, the old awful mural (RIP), Strummer subway station, etc—but I'm sure there are places I didn't think to go.
If you didn’t make it last time I’d suggest The Chippenham pub on the corner of Shirland Road, Walterton Road and Chippenham Road.
Upstairs is where the Charlie Pigdog Club was where 101ers had a residency. Across the road is where 101 Walterton Road used to be (and my old flat at 89 Chippenham Road 😉).
At the other end of Chippenham Road is (or was) Windsor Castle pub where they played and where the Johnny machine in Protex Blue was.
Thanks a lot for these suggestions. Right, I meant Elgin Ave and 101 Walterton (I'll check out Elgin pub this time around). I didn't realize that Chippenham pub was across the street! The first time I went was 2015, so I guess it may have still been open at the time. What a shame... Didn't think to go to Windsor Castle pub or the London SS spot, so I'll try to make that too.
As far as I know The Chippenham is still open but I think the Windsor Castle is closed.
Looks like it was recently closed :( "As at Sept 2018 the ground floor/cellar is reported to soon become a Coop minimart. Most interior has been ripped out, but Coop claims to be trying to preserve the remaining tilework & mirrors." (https://whatpub.com/pubs/WLD/16265/chip ... maida-vale)

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

C1ashCityRockr wrote:
28 Oct 2018, 2:47pm
101Walterton wrote:
C1ashCityRockr wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
C1ashCityRockr wrote:

Looks like it was recently closed :( "As at Sept 2018 the ground floor/cellar is reported to soon become a Coop minimart. Most interior has been ripped out, but Coop claims to be trying to preserve the remaining tilework & mirrors." (https://whatpub.com/pubs/WLD/16265/chip ... maida-vale)
Yet another one gone 😞
If you are going to Warrington Crescent for the London SS squat, round the corner is the Prince Alfred, good old fashion pub and very similar to The Chippenham. Only found out the other day that Sid was in there with Glenn Matlock the day before he left for his fateful trip to America.

C1ashCityRockr
Dirty Punk

Post by C1ashCityRockr »

101Walterton wrote:
28 Oct 2018, 4:03pm
C1ashCityRockr wrote:
28 Oct 2018, 2:47pm
101Walterton wrote:
C1ashCityRockr wrote:
101Walterton wrote:

Yet another one gone 😞
If you are going to Warrington Crescent for the London SS squat, round the corner is the Prince Alfred, good old fashion pub and very similar to The Chippenham. Only found out the other day that Sid was in there with Glenn Matlock the day before he left for his fateful trip to America.
Great, I'll be sure to have a pint there.

By the way, if you have any other tips (especially for Halloween night), do share! I'm thinking of catching Jon Spencer at Rough Trade East on Nov 2. But other than that, walking around, and some time at the BL, plans are pretty non-existent.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

C1ashCityRockr wrote:
Kory wrote:
There's loads of stuff here. The site isn't the easiest to navigate but follow the links at the bottom of each page...

http://www.theclash.org.uk/TheClash.htm
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Heston wrote:
30 Oct 2018, 3:21am
C1ashCityRockr wrote:
Kory wrote:
There's loads of stuff here. The site isn't the easiest to navigate but follow the links at the bottom of each page...

Wow. That's quite the labor of love...but very cool!
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

WestwayKid wrote:
30 Oct 2018, 6:44am
Heston wrote:
C1ashCityRockr wrote:
Kory wrote:

Don J's site is great and he constantly adds to it.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston

Post by Heston »

Marky Dread wrote:
30 Oct 2018, 10:53am
WestwayKid wrote:
Heston wrote:
C1ashCityRockr wrote:
Kory wrote:

He did well to find out the location of the Sandinista cover shot, great piece of detective work.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

deny
Long Time Jerk

Post by deny »

Heston wrote:
30 Oct 2018, 12:28pm
Marky Dread wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Heston wrote:
C1ashCityRockr wrote:

He did well to find out the location of the Sandinista cover shot, great piece of detective work.
Hasn't some one else done the same with Combat Rock?
Joining the Street Parade

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

deny wrote:
30 Oct 2018, 12:38pm
Heston wrote:
30 Oct 2018, 12:28pm
Marky Dread wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Heston wrote:

Hasn't some one else done the same with Combat Rock?
Always amazed me how they got that old disused yorkshire rail line to look like Thailand. ;)

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

C1ashCityRockr
Dirty Punk

Post by C1ashCityRockr »

Heston wrote:
C1ashCityRockr wrote:
Kory wrote:

Thanks. That was a major resource when I designed my first little pilgrimage. It is indeed a bit difficult to navigate, but it's so rich—and I kind of appreciate the Angelfire design aesthetic. I'm off tomorrow to revisit and try to find some new spots. Thanks again, all.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Mick is a double for his Dad :scared:

Heston

Post by Heston »

C1ashCityRockr wrote:
30 Oct 2018, 4:01pm
and I kind of appreciate the Angelfire design aesthetic
Did someone mention Angerfire aesthetics?

http://bernardrhodes.com/yoursay.html

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
30 Oct 2018, 6:53pm
C1ashCityRockr wrote:

An insight into the madness of the human mind.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
30 Oct 2018, 6:53pm
C1ashCityRockr wrote:

advice@bernardrhodes.com

Whether it's about hosting a dinner party, buying a new car, or fucking up a great band, Bernie can help you!
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft