The Clash observations thread.

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: The Clash observations thread.

Post by Marky Dread »

Kory wrote:
08 Nov 2017, 9:12pm
Searching "live Clash" on YouTube doesn't bring up too much, even if I append a year. Is there any other resource for streaming or downloading live footage of the band (complete or near-complete shows are ideal, obvs)? I like watching these on weekends, but it's pretty hard to come by a bootleg DVD anymore.
There isn't a great deal of live footage that's the reason your search amounts to little. Is there anythhing in particular you are looking for?

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Marky Dread wrote:
08 Nov 2017, 9:16pm
Kory wrote:
Searching "live Clash" on YouTube doesn't bring up too much, even if I append a year. Is there any other resource for streaming or downloading live footage of the band (complete or near-complete shows are ideal, obvs)? I like watching these on weekends, but it's pretty hard to come by a bootleg DVD anymore.
There isn't a great deal of live footage that's the reason your search amounts to little. Is there anythhing in particular you are looking for?
Nah, I just have the Tokyo and Jersey performances, and the Paris one that I still need a PAL DVD player for...I was just jonesing for some more. I watched the Munich one, but that seems to be it, really.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Kory wrote:
08 Nov 2017, 9:21pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Kory wrote:
Nah, I just have the Tokyo and Jersey performances, and the Paris one that I still need a PAL DVD player for...I was just jonesing for some more. I watched the Munich one, but that seems to be it, really.
There's very little else in that quality. The rest is all grainy black and white footage. Other than what's officially out there from TV performances etc.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Marky Dread wrote:
08 Nov 2017, 9:23pm
Kory wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Kory wrote:
There's very little else in that quality. The rest is all grainy black and white footage. Other than what's officially out there from TV performances etc.
What about the Clash on TV comp? Tons of great color footage on that, thiugh tv performances as you mention.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

matedog wrote:
09 Nov 2017, 1:14am
Marky Dread wrote:
Kory wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Kory wrote:
What about the Clash on TV comp? Tons of great color footage on that, thiugh tv performances as you mention.
Yeah I have that one too, but I was hoping for more full shows because I like watching them bloom.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Kory wrote:
09 Nov 2017, 6:27pm
matedog wrote:
09 Nov 2017, 1:14am
Marky Dread wrote:
Kory wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Yeah I have that one too, but I was hoping for more full shows because I like watching them bloom.
As I said mate there really isn't anything else unless some new find comes to light.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

River
Long Time Jerk

Post by River »

Listening through June 18th of the Hollywood Palladium shows. Wow, this one is really good. They sound really excited to play, Terry has some pretty good moments, and just overall they're playing really well. I think this one is a hidden gem in the Casbah tour. I also think the tape runs a bit fast (definitely the wrong pitch, had to correct that one) but I think the faster tape really adds something to the recording. Shows a bit how maybe some of these songs might've sounded with Topper. Like Casbah for instance, I could see it going at about the tempo it is in this recording. Hard and fast compared to what it was later on in 82, bit slower and kind of laid back.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

River wrote:
14 Nov 2017, 7:36pm
Listening through June 18th of the Hollywood Palladium shows. Wow, this one is really good. They sound really excited to play, Terry has some pretty good moments, and just overall they're playing really well. I think this one is a hidden gem in the Casbah tour. I also think the tape runs a bit fast (definitely the wrong pitch, had to correct that one) but I think the faster tape really adds something to the recording. Shows a bit how maybe some of these songs might've sounded with Topper. Like Casbah for instance, I could see it going at about the tempo it is in this recording. Hard and fast compared to what it was later on in 82, bit slower and kind of laid back.
Is that the "Stinkfoot in Hollywood" bootleg?

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

River
Long Time Jerk

Post by River »

Marky Dread wrote:
14 Nov 2017, 8:57pm
River wrote:
Yes it is.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

River wrote:
14 Nov 2017, 9:38pm
Marky Dread wrote:
River wrote:
Yes it is.
Cheers I will add this to the remasters series. :approve:

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Marky Dread wrote:
14 Nov 2017, 10:41pm
River wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
River wrote:
Yes it is.
Please name it something else though.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Kory wrote:
15 Nov 2017, 10:45pm
Marky Dread wrote:
River wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
River wrote:
Yes it is.
It sounds like a Zappa boot title.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Wolter wrote:
15 Nov 2017, 11:56pm
Kory wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
River wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Yes it is.
OK it's new title is "Stinky Pizza in Hollywood".

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Wolter wrote:
15 Nov 2017, 11:56pm
Kory wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
River wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Yes it is.
It just sounds like Zappa's boots.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

I finally picked up a copy of Return of the LGIT, which I was excited for because I'm so late to the party on replacing my original version. I noticed though, that it does away with the few images that pop up in the body of the text (the concert posters, etc), which disappointed me a bit. Anyone familiar enough with both versions of the book that can say whether the "new" one is really worth replacing the old one with? Does it really have that much more info?