The Clash observations thread.

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: The Clash observations thread.

Post by Marky Dread »

deny wrote:
24 Nov 2018, 6:39pm
Cliff Clash
Nah Elvis Richard.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

deny wrote:
24 Nov 2018, 6:39pm
Cliff Clash
That song was Radio 2's song of the week earlier this year. It is absolutely putrid.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

daredevil wrote:
24 Nov 2018, 5:43pm
Red Angel wrote:
24 Nov 2018, 2:01pm
Speaking of similarities (no plagiarism), there is a song by the Clash that looks like this. Do you remember which one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxWVJd7AwW0

P.S.
let me know how to post a video :oops:
Train In Vain?
I thought that with the intro but Look Here?

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

101Walterton wrote:
24 Nov 2018, 11:35pm
daredevil wrote:
24 Nov 2018, 5:43pm
Red Angel wrote:
24 Nov 2018, 2:01pm
Speaking of similarities (no plagiarism), there is a song by the Clash that looks like this. Do you remember which one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxWVJd7AwW0

P.S.
let me know how to post a video :oops:
Train In Vain?
I thought that with the intro but Look Here?
Kingston Advice.

Red Angel
Junco Partner

Post by Red Angel »

Yes, Kingston Advice. I listened to the song of Pink Fairies, released in 1972, after the Clash song, quite occasionally and I immediately remembered something. Never thought however of plagiarism. :naughty:
Music is the only thing that matters

IkarisOne
Unknown Immortal

Post by IkarisOne »

I had a dream late night that it came out that Terry had actually played the drums on Combat Rock using Topper's tunings. It was a big secret among the group. My wife was curious as what all this was about and I explained that Topper's snare went "pah" and Terry's went "pum." Matey showed up-- this all took place in my old bass player's crib-- and was very cross with me and claimed I was making it all up.

Absolutely true story.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

IkarisOne wrote:
25 Nov 2018, 3:14pm
I had a dream late night that it came out that Terry had actually played the drums on Combat Rock using Topper's tunings. It was a big secret among the group. My wife was curious as what all this was about and I explained that Topper's snare went "pah" and Terry's went "pum." Matey showed up-- this all took place in my old bass player's crib-- and was very cross with me and claimed I was making it all up.

Absolutely true story.
Haha, glad I'm making it into Terry/Topper dreams. I hope I provided a sensible counter argument about it actually being Topper.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Red Angel
Junco Partner

Post by Red Angel »

IkarisOne wrote:

Absolutely true story.
In the evening it is advisable to eat moderately....... :mrgreen:
I like both drummers, in the same way
Music is the only thing that matters

IkarisOne
Unknown Immortal

Post by IkarisOne »

matedog wrote:
26 Nov 2018, 11:50am
IkarisOne wrote:

Absolutely true story.
Haha, glad I'm making it into Terry/Topper dreams. I hope I provided a sensible counter argument about it actually being Topper.
Glad I have you to keep me on the straight and narrow... :mrgreen:

drowninghere
Long Time Jerk

Post by drowninghere »

Death or Glory is a hell of a song, and has such a classic vibe to it that I'm thinking its probably one of the most underrated songs in the canon - is it in anybody's 'top ten' so to speak? I've certainly never considered it at that level, but wondering exactly why now.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

drowninghere wrote:
22 Dec 2018, 3:15pm
Death or Glory is a hell of a song, and has such a classic vibe to it that I'm thinking its probably one of the most underrated songs in the canon - is it in anybody's 'top ten' so to speak? I've certainly never considered it at that level, but wondering exactly why now.
Yeah nobody really talks about it but it's got tons of guts. The bridge is fantastic.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

I (sadly) rarely make it into record shops...but I was in one the other day and as I was browsing I noticed that while they had every Clash CD...they were all the 1999 remasters. Were the 2013 remasters ever released as single discs in the US? I picked them all up as part of the Sound System box - which I bought on Amazon. Just thought it was interesting that they were selling the 1999 discs instead of the 2013 discs.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

WestwayKid wrote:
28 Dec 2018, 1:55pm
I (sadly) rarely make it into record shops...but I was in one the other day and as I was browsing I noticed that while they had every Clash CD...they were all the 1999 remasters. Were the 2013 remasters ever released as single discs in the US? I picked them all up as part of the Sound System box - which I bought on Amazon. Just thought it was interesting that they were selling the 1999 discs instead of the 2013 discs.
I believe they were, I remember seeing them at Everyday Music.

edit: yes, Discogs confirms this.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

WestwayKid wrote:
Most likely explanation is they've just never sold through stock of the '99 issues.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
28 Dec 2018, 2:08pm
WestwayKid wrote:
Most likely explanation is they've just never sold through stock of the '99 issues.
The even more likelier explanation is that it's yet another example of shoddy Clash quality control abusing the fans. Fucking Mick.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft