The Clash observations thread.

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Re: The Clash observations thread.

Post by matedog »

Kory wrote:
20 Oct 2017, 1:20pm
matedog wrote:
20 Oct 2017, 10:09am
matedog wrote:
19 Oct 2017, 3:12pm
Flex wrote:
19 Oct 2017, 3:10pm
matedog wrote:
19 Oct 2017, 3:01pm
Ugh, rhyming "prison" with "prison." So close to being a good line.
You're never going to be a Black Flag superfan with that attitude.
I was trying to think of another example and only know of one off the top of my head:
I walk these streets
A loaded six-string on my back
I play for keeps 'cause I might not make it back
:shifty:
Was listening to S! this morning and was reminded of this as well:
But on the drummers face, there is a look of dread
As he drums away 400 years of dread

I thought to myself, "Joe is such a wordsmith, but this is a crime Bruce would never commit." Until I remembered,
Don't turn me home again
I just can't face myself alone again
I think the Bruce example is acceptable. It doesn't seem to be so much about rhyming as about expressing an emotion or telling a story. Repetition is very effective if it's done well, I think.
It comes across a bit clumsy though. Why not "face myself alone tonight" or something that doesn't rhyme and is a different word? I love repetition and partial repetition, just has to be more clever than that.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

matedog wrote:
20 Oct 2017, 1:44pm
Kory wrote:
matedog wrote:
matedog wrote:
Flex wrote:
19 Oct 2017, 3:10pm

You're never going to be a Black Flag superfan with that attitude.
I was trying to think of another example and only know of one off the top of my head:
I walk these streets

I thought to myself, "Joe is such a wordsmith, but this is a crime Bruce would never commit." Until I remembered,
Don't turn me home again
I think the Bruce example is acceptable. It doesn't seem to be so much about rhyming as about expressing an emotion or telling a story. Repetition is very effective if it's done well, I think.
It comes across a bit clumsy though. Why not "face myself alone tonight" or something that doesn't rhyme and is a different word? I love repetition and partial repetition, just has to be more clever than that.
I think there's some value in saying again again though. Its starkness (not adding anything additional) drives home the despair. It's a little darker that way, which is probably just a personal preference.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

January 2, 1982 (Tokyo) is a fun-as-hell show. They're clearly having a great time on stage.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Kory wrote:
20 Oct 2017, 2:22pm
matedog wrote:
20 Oct 2017, 1:44pm
Kory wrote:
matedog wrote:
matedog wrote:

I walk these streets

Don't turn me home again
I think there's some value in saying again again though. Its starkness (not adding anything additional) drives home the despair. It's a little darker that way, which is probably just a personal preference.
Also, the rhyme on the Bruce one is actually a slant on home/alone.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

More of a question than an observation - but also not deserving of its own thread. On "The Beautiful People Are Ugly Too" there is that part where Joe talks about "The Fulham Connection 2" and I've always been curious about that reference. I'm hoping someone London based can fill me in on the significance (I'm just an ignorant American, ha)! All I know is Fulham is an area of west London and according to Wikipedia it is considered a prime area to live. The song is (I've always believed) about someone from a good part of town getting caught up with drugs and then exposed.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

WestwayKid wrote:
26 Oct 2017, 7:21am
More of a question than an observation - but also not deserving of its own thread. On "The Beautiful People Are Ugly Too" there is that part where Joe talks about "The Fulham Connection 2" and I've always been curious about that reference. I'm hoping someone London based can fill me in on the significance (I'm just an ignorant American, ha)! All I know is Fulham is an area of west London and according to Wikipedia it is considered a prime area to live. The song is (I've always believed) about someone from a good part of town getting caught up with drugs and then exposed.
It's a reference to the movie The French Connection II.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Marky Dread wrote:
26 Oct 2017, 8:17am
WestwayKid wrote:
Thank you! Great film, by the way! Gene Hackman is one of the best.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

WestwayKid wrote:
26 Oct 2017, 8:45am
Marky Dread wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
The first movie is a favourite of mine.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

You know you're boss when someone cool writes a song about you!

Marky - agree 100% on French Connection. Great film. Second one wasn't too shabby, either.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Marky Dread wrote:
26 Oct 2017, 11:17am
WestwayKid wrote:
26 Oct 2017, 8:45am
Marky Dread wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
The first movie is a favourite of mine.
And my Dad. He took us to Marseille because of that film. Took us 2 days to drive there.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

I like the fact that the Clash named their tours: 16 Tons Tour, Pearl Harbour Tour, Sort It Out Tour, Impossible Mission Tour, Take the Fifth Tour...and so on.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

WestwayKid wrote:
26 Oct 2017, 2:52pm

You know you're boss when someone cool writes a song about you!

Marky - agree 100% on French Connection. Great film. Second one wasn't too shabby, either.
I am a Big Robyn Hitchcock fan from the Soft Boys onwards.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by TeddyB Not Logged In »

Marky Dread wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
In point of fact, the song was actually titled "The Fulham Connection 2", just as 'Kill Time' was titled "Idle in Kangaroo Court W1". Don't really know why "Idle" lost it's post code for 'Sound System' or why 'Fulham' got its title changed to the chorus lyric. I asked Mick and he more or less shrugged, but it might have something to do with Topper.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

TeddyB Not Logged In wrote:
26 Oct 2017, 5:27pm
Marky Dread wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
In point of fact, the song was actually titled "The Fulham Connection 2", just as 'Kill Time' was titled "Idle in Kangaroo Court W1". Don't really know why "Idle" lost it's post code for 'Sound System' or why 'Fulham' got its title changed to the chorus lyric. I asked Mick and he more or less shrugged, but it might have something to do with Topper.
Did Topper write them? I don't have my copy on me right now.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Searching "live Clash" on YouTube doesn't bring up too much, even if I append a year. Is there any other resource for streaming or downloading live footage of the band (complete or near-complete shows are ideal, obvs)? I like watching these on weekends, but it's pretty hard to come by a bootleg DVD anymore.