The Clash observations thread.

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: The Clash observations thread.

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
25 Aug 2022, 4:09pm
Marky Dread wrote:
25 Aug 2022, 3:50pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
25 Aug 2022, 3:47pm
matedog wrote:
25 Aug 2022, 12:34pm
Guns on the Roof has to be the biggest discrepancy between great lyrics and bad instrumental in their discography right? I'm trying to think of an example of the inverse: bad lyrics and great music? Perhaps RAD, but Paul's voice might be throwing me off a good lyric.
Depends on your opinion of "Lovers Rock" for music, but maybe that?
The thing with "Lovers Rock" is it's written totally tongue in cheek. So I like the dig at all those "Hey baby" Barry White type of things.
I've never interpreted it that way because the band always came across as eminently sincere. The idea of a joke song just doesn't ring true for me. I'm not dismissing the idea, mind you, but it's very un-Clash.
These lyrics are incredibly tongue in cheek.

Oh you Western man, you're free with your seed
When you make lover's rock
But woops, there goes the strength that you need
To make real cool lover's rock.

It's a clear dig at all the male posturing and machismo. And the "Lovers Rock" reggae that was popular when the band were into the real heavy dub reggae. The song is a complete play on all those "Lovers Rock" guys that took themselves way too seriously.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
25 Aug 2022, 5:14pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
matedog wrote:
Guns on the Roof has to be the biggest discrepancy between great lyrics and bad instrumental in their discography right? I'm trying to think of an example of the inverse: bad lyrics and great music? Perhaps RAD, but Paul's voice might be throwing me off a good lyric.
The thing with "Lovers Rock" is it's written totally tongue in cheek. So I like the dig at all those "Hey baby" Barry White type of things.
I've never interpreted it that way because the band always came across as eminently sincere. The idea of a joke song just doesn't ring true for me. I'm not dismissing the idea, mind you, but it's very un-Clash.

It's a clear dig at all the male posturing and machismo. And the "Lovers Rock" reggae that was popular when the band were into the real heavy dub reggae. The song is a complete play on all those "Lovers Rock" guys that took themselves way too seriously.
Yup, your interpretation works. I'm just hung up on how that kind of playfulness doesn't fit with the band's style. They weren't humourless by any means, but they're weren't lighthearted either.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
25 Aug 2022, 5:32pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Yup, your interpretation works. I'm just hung up on how that kind of playfulness doesn't fit with the band's style. They weren't humourless by any means, but they're weren't lighthearted either.
Yeah I don't see the song as a joke song as the band never went down that road where they would do a throwaway song when they can get a message across.

The tongue in cheek lyrics are addressing a serious issue. That being the softer "Lover's Rock" reggae gave just as much power to the women performers as the heavier dub stuff gave credibility to the guys. This track is making a mockery about the guys who used "Lover's Rock" as a way of attracting a female audience is an overly sexist manner.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
25 Aug 2022, 5:47pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
25 Aug 2022, 5:32pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Yeah I don't see the song as a joke song as the band never went down that road where they would do a throwaway song when they can get a message across.

The tongue in cheek lyrics are addressing a serious issue. That being the softer "Lover's Rock" reggae gave just as much power to the women performers as the heavier dub stuff gave credibility to the guys. This track is making a mockery about the guys who used "Lover's Rock" as a way of attracting a female audience is an overly sexist manner.
That's fair. Well, ya lurn sumthin' evry day!
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

matedog wrote:
I like the instrumental.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Kory wrote:
26 Aug 2022, 5:58pm
matedog wrote:
I like the instrumental.
Me too. As a song I much prefer it to Clash City Rockers and I Can't Explain.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
26 Aug 2022, 7:01pm
Kory wrote:
26 Aug 2022, 5:58pm
matedog wrote:
I like the instrumental.
Me too. As a song I much prefer it to Clash City Rockers and I Can't Explain.
Crazy talk.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Don't think this has been mentioned yet, but Bob Dylan has a book coming out called The Philosophy of Modern Song where he writes about a bunch of songs he finds particularly interesting (at least, that's supposed to be the premise. With Bob who the fuck knows what it'll end up being). Anyways, the chapter list was released the other day and check out the song pick at the end on the bottom left side of the table of contents:

Besides LC, a very interesting selection of songs. Got an Elvis Costello in there leading things off. Real curious what it ends up being (and what Dylan ends up writing about The Clash).
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
29 Aug 2022, 10:59am
Don't think this has been mentioned yet, but Bob Dylan has a book coming out called The Philosophy of Modern Song where he writes about a bunch of songs he finds particularly interesting (at least, that's supposed to be the premise. With Bob who the fuck knows what it'll end up being). Anyways, the chapter list was released the other day and check out the song pick at the end on the bottom left side of the table of contents:

Besides LC, a very interesting selection of songs. Got an Elvis Costello in there leading things off. Real curious what it ends up being (and what Dylan ends up writing about The Clash).
You're such a tease. I was hoping it would be "Play To Win."

white man
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by white man »

Flex wrote:
29 Aug 2022, 10:59am

I wonder if Big River is the Jimmy Nail song

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

white man wrote:
29 Aug 2022, 11:44am
I wonder if Big River is the Jimmy Nail song
I think one would assume it's the Johnny Cash song of same name, but Bob covering the Jimmy Nail song is the sort of thing I could see him doing as a twist.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

white man
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by white man »

very good article here on The Clash Instrumentation. It's been given the thums up by Brenda Siegelman
https://equipboard.com/band/the-clash?f ... Td8q71ThSU

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

white man wrote:
07 Sep 2022, 2:54am
very good article here on The Clash Instrumentation. It's been given the thums up by Brenda Siegelman
https://equipboard.com/band/the-clash?f ... Td8q71ThSU
Mick Jones: MXR Simp

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

I'd never seen this footage before, it made me think it would be cool to see a whole filmed show from this vantage point—unprofessionally shot, jostled, raw. Just the way to see the band, perhaps.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Kory wrote:
10 Nov 2022, 4:36pm

I'd never seen this footage before, it made me think it would be cool to see a whole filmed show from this vantage point—unprofessionally shot, jostled, raw. Just the way to see the band, perhaps.
Yeah posted here before mate.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia