The Clash observations thread.

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: The Clash observations thread.

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
22 Nov 2018, 3:49pm
101Walterton wrote:
22 Nov 2018, 3:03pm
Heston wrote:
21 Nov 2018, 7:12pm
Why the fuck did Glyn Johns cut the sax solo out of Should I Stay for Combat Rock? Just listening to the RP version and it kicks all kinds of ass/arse.
And when did the lyrics change to more radio friendly?
Mick reluctantly re-recorded the vocal at Johns' request when it was earmarked as a single. Gotta admit I prefer the more assertive vocal in the official version.
I prefer the Rat Patrol version lock stock. It sounds more fun and like a party song. Almost all of Rat Patrol sounds better than Combat Rock to me. There are a few edits I would've made nixing the stupid bongo intro to RtC would be one as that's completely superfluous.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

IkarisOne
Unknown Immortal

Post by IkarisOne »

Heston wrote:
21 Nov 2018, 7:20pm
IkarisOne wrote:
20 Nov 2018, 1:20am
I remember when I first heard "The Call Up" thinking it sounded so familiar to me. It took 38 years to put my finger on it. Not so much the melody but the groove and the mood.

First of all that's a really good song and I don't think I've heard it before.

I can see what you mean in places, some similar chord movements and drum feel, but the mood is a bit too jolly for me in comparison. The Call Up is one of the most morose sounding records I've ever heard. The fact they released it as the lead off single from Sandinista is even more outrageous than Sandinista itself. Utter lunacy. I do love it as an album track though, and the Sound System remaster gave it the sound it had always been crying out for.
Oh, it's one of my very favorite tracks from the Seventies. The live playing is a bit more jaunty than the single version, which is more downbeat. It has a very Roxy Music kind of feel, which I understand was a bit off their usual beaten path.

I do wonder if Joe ever crossed paths with these blokes during his 101ers days. Fun fact- they were managed by Miles Copeland.

TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by TeddyB Not Logged In »

I don’t know if this song was an influence on The Call Up, but it was a major song in the 70’s in the UK and Mick would have certainly known it. Weren’t they on Sire in the U.S.?

Red Angel
Junco Partner

Post by Red Angel »

Heston wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Heston wrote:
Why the fuck did Glyn Johns cut the sax solo out of Should I Stay for Combat Rock? Just listening to the RP version and it kicks all kinds of ass/arse.
Mick reluctantly re-recorded the vocal at Johns' request when it was earmarked as a single. Gotta admit I prefer the more assertive vocal in the official version.
Do you mean that album version and single version have a defferent vocal? or no? :?:
Music is the only thing that matters

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Red Angel wrote:
24 Nov 2018, 9:37am
Heston wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Heston wrote:
Do you mean that album version and single version have a defferent vocal? or no? :?:
No, I meant I prefer the single/Combat Rock vocal over the Rat Patrol one. Though I prefer the mix in the Rat Patrol version with the extra sax and more party vibe as Marky mentioned.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Red Angel
Junco Partner

Post by Red Angel »

Heston wrote:
24 Nov 2018, 10:18am
Red Angel wrote:
24 Nov 2018, 9:37am
Heston wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Heston wrote:
No, I meant I prefer the single/Combat Rock vocal over the Rat Patrol one. Though I prefer the mix in the Rat Patrol version with the extra sax and more party vibe as Marky mentioned.
Thank you for the clarification! I had misunderstood ... :approve:

IkarisOne
Unknown Immortal

Post by IkarisOne »

TeddyB Not Logged In wrote:
24 Nov 2018, 4:01am
I don’t know if this song was an influence on The Call Up, but it was a major song in the 70’s in the UK and Mick would have certainly known it. Weren’t they on Sire in the U.S.?
They were indeed, sir. As was Ivan Julian, oddly enough. Funny how all the circles seem to converge, no?

Red Angel
Junco Partner

Post by Red Angel »

Speaking of similarities (no plagiarism), there is a song by the Clash that looks like this. Do you remember which one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxWVJd7AwW0

P.S.
let me know how to post a video :oops:

Heston

Post by Heston »

Red Angel wrote:
24 Nov 2018, 2:01pm
Speaking of similarities (no plagiarism), there is a song by the Clash that looks like this. Do you remember which one?

P.S.
Remove the 's' from https.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Red Angel
Junco Partner

Post by Red Angel »

Thanks I tried but I'm not capable. I will try when I have more time

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

IkarisOne wrote:
23 Nov 2018, 12:02pm
Heston wrote:
21 Nov 2018, 7:20pm
IkarisOne wrote:
20 Nov 2018, 1:20am
I remember when I first heard "The Call Up" thinking it sounded so familiar to me. It took 38 years to put my finger on it. Not so much the melody but the groove and the mood.

First of all that's a really good song and I don't think I've heard it before.

I can see what you mean in places, some similar chord movements and drum feel, but the mood is a bit too jolly for me in comparison. The Call Up is one of the most morose sounding records I've ever heard. The fact they released it as the lead off single from Sandinista is even more outrageous than Sandinista itself. Utter lunacy. I do love it as an album track though, and the Sound System remaster gave it the sound it had always been crying out for.
Oh, it's one of my very favorite tracks from the Seventies. The live playing is a bit more jaunty than the single version, which is more downbeat. It has a very Roxy Music kind of feel, which I understand was a bit off their usual beaten path.

I do wonder if Joe ever crossed paths with these blokes during his 101ers days. Fun fact- they were managed by Miles Copeland.
Two things. I can imagine being back in the 1970s and watching the Christmas Top of the Pops. My Gran would have definitely said lovely hair, wasted on a boy. Second, parts of it remind me of another song, maybe Time of the Season by the Zombies?

Heston

Post by Heston »

Red Angel wrote:
24 Nov 2018, 2:12pm
Yeah, just copy and paste then remove the s...

Can't think of what song it sounds like at the moment.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Heston wrote:
24 Nov 2018, 2:18pm
Red Angel wrote:
24 Nov 2018, 2:12pm
Yeah, just copy and paste then remove the s...

Can't think of what song it sounds like at the moment.
I immediately heard this though took me a while to identify the song, just kept hearing the chorus over and over in my head. Every song that was sung or recorded sounds like at least one other song.

daredevil
Unknown Immortal

Post by daredevil »

Red Angel wrote:
24 Nov 2018, 2:01pm

P.S.
Train In Vain?

deny
Long Time Jerk

Post by deny »

Cliff Clash
Attachments
Cliff.jpg
Cliff.jpg (41.76 KiB) Viewed 3810 times