The Clash observations thread.

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
101Walterton
The Best

Re: The Clash observations thread.

Post by 101Walterton »

Red Angel wrote:
13 May 2019, 2:28am
I would like to ask you, what is better in a bootleg the quality of the concert or the quality of the recording? What percentage? 70-30, 80-20, 60-40, 50-50, 40-60, ....? This leads to different opinions.
Quality definitely important for me or else it is a once only listen.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

I usually need both sound quality and performance to be solid to give multiple listens. It can be a little gritty or a little shitty, but if the bones aren’t there on either one, it’ll stay on the metaphorical shelf unless it’s a specifically unique show/performance.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Red Angel wrote:
I would like to ask you, what is better in a bootleg the quality of the concert or the quality of the recording? What percentage? 70-30, 80-20, 60-40, 50-50, 40-60, ....? This leads to different opinions.
That's a good question. There's that great Akron 82 soundboard that I never listen to because Terry is a garbage drummer, but my favorite all time Clash boot is the Scandinavium 5/24/80 show which is hardly pristine. So performance is more important than sound quality, but the quality has to be at least decent.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

I'd say 70-30 performance over sound.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

matedog wrote:
13 May 2019, 10:22am
Red Angel wrote:
That's a good question. There's that great Akron 82 soundboard that I never listen to because Terry is a garbage drummer, but my favorite all time Clash boot is the Scandinavium 5/24/80 show which is hardly pristine. So performance is more important than sound quality, but the quality has to be at least decent.
Yeah, thinking about it, as much as I need both, I prefer a slightly bad sounding shit-hot performance to a pristine performance that is clearly sub-par, so performance is probably at least 2/3 of it for me.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

I hate bootlegs I never listen to them. :shifty:

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

matedog wrote:
Red Angel wrote:
Akron really suffers from the lack of crowd noise. I heard This Is Radio Clash from it recently and they nail it. There are a few good 82 shows with Terry, I think you're being a bit harsh on him.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
13 May 2019, 11:52am
matedog wrote:
Red Angel wrote:
Akron really suffers from the lack of crowd noise. I heard This Is Radio Clash from it recently and they nail it. There are a few good 82 shows with Terry, I think you're being a bit harsh on him.
Yeah ''garbage'' is a bit harsh. Compared to Topper most competent drummers pale into insignificance.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Red Angel
Junco Partner

Post by Red Angel »

I didn't want to discuss the quality of the individual performance because they are personal opinions, but the relationship between performance and recording quality. Inder understood, I say 60-40.

P.S. One of my favorite shows is Kampuchea Concert (27 Dec 79), but I like a lot too Brixton Fair Deal (11 Jul 82), but in the end listen gladly all the concerts recorded in a decent way. :mrgreen:
Music is the only thing that matters

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

1. You guys are overly critical of an ok boot from a band that has actually had some objectively shitty performances. This one is fine.
2. I was talking about the DVD since it's one of I think 4 filmed full performances by them.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Kory wrote:
13 May 2019, 12:42pm
1. You guys are overly critical of an ok boot from a band that has actually had some objectively shitty performances. This one is fine.
2. I was talking about the DVD since it's one of I think 4 filmed full performances by them.
1. Not overly critical mate as there are simply so many other better performances.

2. As others have said it's been available for ages as a bootleg DVD in pristine quality.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Chuck Mangione
Spitting Image

Post by Chuck Mangione »

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Heston wrote:
matedog wrote:
Red Angel wrote:
It runs a bit slow too.

Hell, the Lyceum Sound System tracks sound like shit due to lack of crowd noise and similar non-mix job.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

matedog wrote:
13 May 2019, 2:02pm
Heston wrote:
matedog wrote:
Red Angel wrote:
It runs a bit slow too.

Hell, the Lyceum Sound System tracks sound like shit due to lack of crowd noise and similar non-mix job.
The lack of mixing on the Lyceum tracks was very disappointing, especially when we'd seen what could be done.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

matedog wrote:
13 May 2019, 2:02pm
Heston wrote:
matedog wrote:
Red Angel wrote:
It runs a bit slow too.

I thought I sorted this on the remaster I did. Oh well never mind

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia