The Clash observations thread.

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
C1ashCityRockr
Dirty Punk

Re: The Clash observations thread.

Post by C1ashCityRockr »

Heston wrote:
30 Oct 2018, 6:53pm
C1ashCityRockr wrote:
30 Oct 2018, 4:01pm
and I kind of appreciate the Angelfire design aesthetic
Did someone mention Angerfire aesthetics?

http://bernardrhodes.com/yoursay.html
Haha brilliant. Needs more comic sans.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

C1ashCityRockr wrote:
31 Oct 2018, 6:33pm
Heston wrote:
C1ashCityRockr wrote:

Sans comic.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

C1ashCityRockr
Dirty Punk

Post by C1ashCityRockr »

Marky Dread wrote:
C1ashCityRockr wrote:
Heston wrote:
C1ashCityRockr wrote:

Sans comic.
Cosmic Nas.

IkarisOne
Unknown Immortal

Post by IkarisOne »

I remember when I first heard "The Call Up" thinking it sounded so familiar to me. It took 38 years to put my finger on it. Not so much the melody but the groove and the mood.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Why the fuck did Glyn Johns cut the sax solo out of Should I Stay for Combat Rock? Just listening to the RP version and it kicks all kinds of ass/arse.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Heston

Post by Heston »

IkarisOne wrote:
20 Nov 2018, 1:20am
I remember when I first heard "The Call Up" thinking it sounded so familiar to me. It took 38 years to put my finger on it. Not so much the melody but the groove and the mood.

First of all that's a really good song and I don't think I've heard it before.

I can see what you mean in places, some similar chord movements and drum feel, but the mood is a bit too jolly for me in comparison. The Call Up is one of the most morose sounding records I've ever heard. The fact they released it as the lead off single from Sandinista is even more outrageous than Sandinista itself. Utter lunacy. I do love it as an album track though, and the Sound System remaster gave it the sound it had always been crying out for.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Heretical thought when listening to “Eyes Without a Face” a few minutes ago: maybe Cut the Crap’s production was less if an inept attempt to replicate Mick’s success with BAD and more an inept attempt to replicate Billy Idol’s even greater success.

Because it sure as shit sounds a lot like the “dub” version of TIE done more commercially.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Wolter wrote:
21 Nov 2018, 10:27pm
Heretical thought when listening to “Eyes Without a Face” a few minutes ago: maybe Cut the Crap’s production was less if an inept attempt to replicate Mick’s success with BAD and more an inept attempt to replicate Billy Idol’s even greater success.

Because it sure as shit sounds a lot like the “dub” version of TIE done more commercially.
i feel like i've just been red pilled or something.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:

While Bernie wanted commercial success like BI, the psychological angle of competition with the banished Mick "Snowball" Jones was almost certainly greater.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Heston wrote:
21 Nov 2018, 7:12pm
Why the fuck did Glyn Johns cut the sax solo out of Should I Stay for Combat Rock? Just listening to the RP version and it kicks all kinds of ass/arse.
And when did the lyrics change to more radio friendly?

Heston

Post by Heston »

101Walterton wrote:
22 Nov 2018, 3:03pm
Heston wrote:
Mick reluctantly re-recorded the vocal at Johns' request when it was earmarked as a single. Gotta admit I prefer the more assertive vocal in the official version.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
22 Nov 2018, 3:49pm
101Walterton wrote:
Heston wrote:
Mick reluctantly re-recorded the vocal at Johns' request when it was earmarked as a single. Gotta admit I prefer the more assertive vocal in the official version.
So we can still blame Mick for not being assertive? The IMCT Blame Mick principle stays intact.

deny
Long Time Jerk

Post by deny »

Heston wrote:
22 Nov 2018, 3:49pm
101Walterton wrote:
Heston wrote:
He sounds stoned to me just like Joe on KYR on the Rat sessions
Joining the Street Parade

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Nov 2018, 7:12am
Wolter wrote:

While Bernie wanted commercial success like BI, the psychological angle of competition with the banished Mick "Snowball" Jones was almost certainly greater.
Although think about this: Billy came out of a band with Snowball’s buddy. And he was a hanger on back in the day that suddenly was more famous in America than the Clash ever were.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:
22 Nov 2018, 5:01pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Nov 2018, 7:12am
Wolter wrote:

Although think about this: Billy came out of a band with Snowball’s buddy. And he was a hanger on back in the day that suddenly was more famous in America than the Clash ever were.
Hmmm, if we want to really explore this along that line, maybe there's some SIgue Sigue Sputnik envy there. Flaunt It hadn't been released yet, but they were active in the early 80s. The idea of Bernie being envious and insane is understood, so, sure perhaps it goes wider than the immediate band's circle.