I like the 1984 Clash-2

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
vrouwenverwarmer
Dirty Punk

I like the 1984 Clash-2

Post by vrouwenverwarmer »

I'm sorry, but I really like the 1984 Clash-2 shows best, full power and energie!

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Re: I like the 1984 Clash-2

Post by matedog »

As much as I love GEED, I can't support Clash 2 wholeheartedly. I was listening to the 1984-12-06 show and Joe does all this shouting and forgets lyrics on Cap Radio and London's Burning. The band keeps charging along like a well oiled machine, but it is just lacking.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

matedog wrote:As much as I love GEED, I can't support Clash 2 wholeheartedly. I was listening to the 1984-12-06 show and Joe does all this shouting and forgets lyrics on Cap Radio and London's Burning. The band keeps charging along like a well oiled machine, but it is just lacking.
Dec 84 ain't so great, but Feb-May was pretty damn good.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

matedog

Post by matedog »

Wolter wrote:
matedog wrote:As much as I love GEED, I can't support Clash 2 wholeheartedly. I was listening to the 1984-12-06 show and Joe does all this shouting and forgets lyrics on Cap Radio and London's Burning. The band keeps charging along like a well oiled machine, but it is just lacking.
I see glimpses of greatness on that show and it is such a unique set list, but it's more of a let down than anything. I endorse May 84 Clash 2 over anything else. The new tunes in the earlier sets don't do it for me.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

matedog wrote:
Wolter wrote:
I see glimpses of greatness on that show and it is such a unique set list, but it's more of a let down than anything. I endorse May 84 Clash 2 over anything else. The new tunes in the earlier sets don't do it for me.
May's definitely the peak.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

matedog

Post by matedog »

Wolter wrote:
matedog wrote:
Wolter wrote:
May's definitely the peak.
The tunes featured on GEED are the only versions of the new tunes I think are legitimately good. There are performances of the old songs throughout that I can cherry pick though.

IkarisOne
Unknown Immortal

Post by IkarisOne »

vrouwenverwarmer wrote:I'm sorry, but I really like the 1984 Clash-2 shows best, full power and energie!
Well, there once was a time when you'd be among friends here. In earlier days this board was a defacto '84 tour fan club.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Nothing wrong with the shows they are great, it just aint the Clash though.

matedog

Post by matedog »

IkarisOne wrote:
vrouwenverwarmer wrote:I'm sorry, but I really like the 1984 Clash-2 shows best, full power and energie!
Well, there once was a time when you'd be among friends here. In earlier days this board was a defacto '84 tour fan club.
What's not to love?
[youtube][/youtube]

simo
Long Time Jerk

Post by simo »

Just listened to GEED. Mostly good, but the backing vocals at the end of Safe European Home are hilarious.

matedog

Post by matedog »

simo wrote:Just listened to GEED. Mostly good, but the backing vocals at the end of Safe European Home are hilarious.
Someone on Snews said it sounded like the Village People Macho Man chanting vocals. I found that highly amusing.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

simo wrote:backing vocals are hilarious.
Sums up the whole of Clash II for me.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Jimmy Jazz
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Jimmy Jazz »

simo wrote:Just listened to GEED. Mostly good, but the backing vocals at the end of Safe European Home are hilarious.
I like Clash II but I tend to only listen to their songs... not them doing real Clash songs. Other then "One More Time" and maybe one or two others, there's not much of a reason to.

daredevil
Unknown Immortal

Post by daredevil »

The 84-85 Clash were an amazing live band, nothing wrong with liking them.
Regarding the performances of the songs 77-82, Some are great (Clampdown, OMT)
and some are bad or unlistenable (WMN, Bankrobber).

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

daredevil wrote:
The 84-85 Clash were an amazing live band, nothing wrong with liking them.
Regarding the performances of the songs 77-82, Some are great (Clampdown, OMT)
and some are bad or unlistenable (WMN, Bankrobber).
I always thought What's My Name was pretty much ok live. RTC, Washington Bullets and Corner Soul were the main live offenders for me.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board