clash images washed up on the internet's seashore

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
101Walterton
The Best

Re: clash images washed up on the internet's seashore

Post by 101Walterton »

101Walterton wrote:
12 Oct 2017, 2:58pm
Marky Dread wrote:
12 Oct 2017, 2:45pm
101Walterton wrote:
12 Oct 2017, 2:38pm
Marky Dread wrote:
12 Oct 2017, 1:00pm
matedog wrote:
12 Oct 2017, 12:33pm

Marky, I didn't know you went to that show. What were your thoughts?
I was fourteen and although I was tough little fucker I did feel nervous there was a huge amount of people and everyone was getting crushed. I thought it was poorly planned and the sound was crap at least where I was standing it sounded crap. Joe should never had let Pursey on stage to shout out White Riot. It was my first Clash show and I remember loads of us marching up towards Victoria Park behind RAR banners. Years later I learned Billy Bragg was on that march. Although I thought The Clash were great the sound seemed to wash over in waves. I think the sound improved by the time Tom Robinson Band took the stage or maybe my ears just adjusted.

Here's a great site that can say it all better than I can.

http://www.ukrockfestivals.com/victoria-park-1978.html

It mentions an unknown band entertaining the marchers leaving Trafalgar Square but It was Misty In Roots and The Ruts on that flat bed truck. You can clearly see Ruts guitarist Paul Fox (RIP) and drummer Dave Ruffy in the picture. I think Purple Hayes (RIP) mentioned to me he was also at Victoria Park wish I had known him back then. It was a memorable day and some great bands Clash/TRB/X-Ray Spex/Steel Pulse. I don't remember seeing Patrick Fitzgerald who was probably the first act on so maybe I missed him. I also don't recall the all star jam at the end with Tom Robinson/Aswad/Jimmy Pursey so I most likely missed it having to get back to Paddington for the train.

I just recently downloaded the gig from the megalist hoping for something listenable but it sounds terrible which is a real shame. Just have to make do with all fake Rude Boy overdubbed takes.
That ‘sliding doors’ thing with PH is funny and makes you wonder how often those things happen.
PH and I were both on the beach in Swanage at the Radio 1 Roadshow when TRB played.
How many times did we cross paths in Reading. Or how many times did you chase us around the Butts or the battles st Elm Park.
Yeah I guess we'll never know. I was at swanage in the early 80's and that Road Show was there. I think the DJ was Gary Davis. When I met PH along with Maj for the BAD gig I thought how much PH and I were similar in our attitudes and backgrounds and how we would've been good mates if we'd have met sooner. PH was a real salt of the earth character and I liked him instantly and the same has to said about Murph a real genuine nice geezer.
The TRB show was Peter Powell.
Also PH and I used to drink in the same pub in Ruislip when I lived there and he was in Hayes.
Sorry Marky my mistake the TRB show with Peter Powell that PH was also at was Weymouth 1983.
I got confused as I was also at the 1982 show in Swanage.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
matedog wrote:
12 Oct 2017, 12:33pm

Marky, I didn't know you went to that show. What were your thoughts?
I was fourteen and although I was tough little fucker I did feel nervous there was a huge amount of people and everyone was getting crushed. I thought it was poorly planned and the sound was crap at least where I was standing it sounded crap. Joe should never had let Pursey on stage to shout out White Riot. It was my first Clash show and I remember loads of us marching up towards Victoria Park behind RAR banners. Years later I learned Billy Bragg was on that march. Although I thought The Clash were great the sound seemed to wash over in waves. I think the sound improved by the time Tom Robinson Band took the stage or maybe my ears just adjusted.

It mentions an unknown band entertaining the marchers leaving Trafalgar Square but It was Misty In Roots and The Ruts on that flat bed truck. You can clearly see Ruts guitarist Paul Fox (RIP) and drummer Dave Ruffy in the picture. I think Purple Hayes (RIP) mentioned to me he was also at Victoria Park wish I had known him back then. It was a memorable day and some great bands Clash/TRB/X-Ray Spex/Steel Pulse. I don't remember seeing Patrick Fitzgerald who was probably the first act on so maybe I missed him. I also don't recall the all star jam at the end with Tom Robinson/Aswad/Jimmy Pursey so I most likely missed it having to get back to Paddington for the train.

I just recently downloaded the gig from the megalist hoping for something listenable but it sounds terrible which is a real shame. Just have to make do with all fake Rude Boy overdubbed takes.
That ‘sliding doors’ thing with PH is funny and makes you wonder how often those things happen.
PH and I were both on the beach in Swanage at the Radio 1 Roadshow when TRB played.
How many times did we cross paths in Reading. Or how many times did you chase us around the Butts or the battles st Elm Park.
Yeah I guess we'll never know. I was at swanage in the early 80's and that Road Show was there. I think the DJ was Gary Davis. When I met PH along with Maj for the BAD gig I thought how much PH and I were similar in our attitudes and backgrounds and how we would've been good mates if we'd have met sooner. PH was a real salt of the earth character and I liked him instantly and the same has to said about Murph a real genuine nice geezer.
Also PH and I used to drink in the same pub in Ruislip when I lived there and he was in Hayes.
Yes you are correct it was Peter Powell but I don't remember TRB playing so I think it was later than when PH and yourself was there. My girlfriends father owned a property there so we would spend the summer hols there. But you were not aware of each other until here, right?

Just read your last post and 1982 was definitely the year. Still not sure if I remember TRB but just Tom on his own solo around the time of War Baby perhaps?

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Marky Dread wrote:
12 Oct 2017, 3:14pm
101Walterton wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Yes you are correct it was Peter Powell but I don't remember TRB playing so I think it was later than when PH and yourself was there. My girlfriends father owned a property there so we would spend the summer hols there. But you were not aware of each other until here, right?

Just read your last post and 1982 was definitely the year. Still not sure if I remember TRB but just Tom on his own solo around the time of War Baby perhaps?
TRB was 83 in Weymouth and yes I remember he did an accusative version of War Baby which was in the charts at the time and would explain why he was there.
I don’t remember much sbout 82 in Swanage other than I was there??

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:
12 Oct 2017, 5:01pm
Marky Dread wrote:
12 Oct 2017, 3:14pm
101Walterton wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
101Walterton wrote:

TRB was 83 in Weymouth and yes I remember he did an accusative version of War Baby which was in the charts at the time and would explain why he was there.
I don’t remember much sbout 82 in Swanage other than I was there??
Well you were obviously spying on me. ;)

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Very cool to hear your memories Marky and Wally, and also those about Purple Hayes. Cheers, lads.
Strong shoes is what we got and when they're hot they're hot!
- Marky Dread and his fabulous Screaming Blue Messiahs

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Marky Dread wrote:
11 Oct 2017, 1:33pm
Kory wrote:
11 Oct 2017, 1:23pm
Marky Dread wrote:
11 Oct 2017, 1:06pm
Kory wrote:
11 Oct 2017, 12:29pm
Marky Dread wrote:
14 Apr 2017, 6:55pm

:cool:
I wound up ordering this. While I recognize it's a very small publisher, I have to say I'm pretty disappointed with the printing quality. Kinko's-level. Good shots, though.
Kory are they all B&W prints/photos?
I'll have to double-check. I only looked at it once, but I believe so.
Cheers mate.

They are indeed all black and white.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Kory wrote:
14 Oct 2017, 6:25pm
Marky Dread wrote:
11 Oct 2017, 1:33pm
Kory wrote:
11 Oct 2017, 1:23pm
Marky Dread wrote:
11 Oct 2017, 1:06pm
Kory wrote:
11 Oct 2017, 12:29pm

I wound up ordering this. While I recognize it's a very small publisher, I have to say I'm pretty disappointed with the printing quality. Kinko's-level. Good shots, though.
Kory are they all B&W prints/photos?
I'll have to double-check. I only looked at it once, but I believe so.
Cheers mate.

They are indeed all black and white.
Thanks for the info mate appreciated.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Someone from Clash on Parole on fb posted a ton of busking photos I hadn't seen before:
There's a bunch more too.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

matedog wrote:
16 Jan 2018, 11:15am
Someone from Clash on Parole on fb posted a ton of busking photos I hadn't seen before:
There's a bunch more too.
These are great! Thanks for sharing. I'll definitely check out the rest. Say what you want about the final version of the band...but I've always thought the busking tour was pretty inspired.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Inder wrote:
04 Feb 2018, 3:00pm
I’ve seen this one before in either a Specials or Madness book.

soundslikemurder
Corner Soul

Post by soundslikemurder »

The Good Swede wrote:
09 Mar 2014, 10:37pm
…now and then there is a photo that I haven't seen before…
When and where could this be from?
This one is from a gig in Nice, France at the Theatre de Verdure, 30 May 1980 ;)

matedog

Post by matedog »

soundslikemurder wrote:
07 May 2018, 12:59am
The Good Swede wrote:
This one is from a gig in Nice, France at the Theatre de Verdure, 30 May 1980 ;)
A lot of skin at that show.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
07 May 2018, 10:12am
soundslikemurder wrote:
The Good Swede wrote:
Don't tell that Hammy fellow!
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

matedog

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 May 2018, 10:56am
matedog wrote:
07 May 2018, 10:12am
soundslikemurder wrote:
The Good Swede wrote:
Don't tell that Hammy fellow!
Was that the "edgelord" who was trying to "trigger" us with flippant homophobia?