Joe's shirt off his back

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
dstrummer
Corner Soul

Joe's shirt off his back

Post by dstrummer »

Greetings,

A close friend of mine was actually able to get Joe to give her his shirt when he was in San Francisco many years back. She knows of my devotion to all things Clash and luckily for me she gave the shirt to me this year as a gift.

I am wondering if anyone out there has ever seen a photo of Joe wearing this shirt with The Clash, The Mescaleros, and or during his "wilderness years." I would totally appreciate it if you would pass along a photo or a link. I am hoping to frame the shirt with a photo next to it. (no, its not for sale on eBay, nor will it ever be)

Thanks in advance.

D
Attachments
Joe's shirt.jpg
Let Fury Have the Hour

101Walterton
The Best

Re: Joe's shirt off his back

Post by 101Walterton »

Nice one !! Have you tried Clash Photo Rockers site ?

BR16ADE_R055E
Unknown Immortal

Post by BR16ADE_R055E »

dstrummer wrote:I am wondering if anyone out there has ever seen a photo of Joe wearing this shirt with The Clash,
Nice! I know the shirt wasn't worn when Joe was in The Clash. I can't think when, though.

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

BR16ADE_R055E wrote:
dstrummer wrote:I am wondering if anyone out there has ever seen a photo of Joe wearing this shirt with The Clash,
Nice! I know the shirt wasn't worn when Joe was in The Clash. I can't think when, though.
Looks sort of like what he was wearing during the Asbury Park shows in '82 because of the shoulder patches, although that shirt was white. Maybe similar era. Compare with the photos linked to on this thread: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=209 .

BR16ADE_R055E
Unknown Immortal

Post by BR16ADE_R055E »

Rat Patrol wrote:
BR16ADE_R055E wrote:
Looks sort of like what he was wearing during the Asbury Park shows in '82 because of the shoulder patches, although that shirt was white. Maybe similar era. Compare with the photos linked to on this thread: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=209 .
I see what you mean about the epaulettes, but it's not from that period. Those shirts from '82 were made by Alex Michon, and this shirt was apparently made by Lion Apparel. Joe wore a 17 1/2 neck size shirt?

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

BR16ADE_R055E wrote:
Rat Patrol wrote:
BR16ADE_R055E wrote:
I see what you mean about the epaulettes, but it's not from that period. Those shirts from '82 were made by Alex Michon, and this shirt was apparently made by Lion Apparel. Joe wore a 17 1/2 neck size shirt?
Jesus Briggy. You are clearly the RP of Clash fashion.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

matedog wrote:
BR16ADE_R055E wrote:
Rat Patrol wrote:
BR16ADE_R055E wrote:
fashion with a pashion even.

BR16ADE_R055E
Unknown Immortal

Post by BR16ADE_R055E »

matedog wrote:
BR16ADE_R055E wrote:
Rat Patrol wrote:
BR16ADE_R055E wrote:
Thanks, but I'm just a Clash student.

dstrummer
Corner Soul

Post by dstrummer »

The shirt is mighty big, I figured that it had to be from his Meskies period. Joe told my friend that it is an "old shirt" of his and he wanted her to have it. It was a couple of years before his untimely passing. Unfortunately, Joe's diet of buttery vegetables, beer, and champagne did create a gut to hold up his telecaster during his late years. I am just hoping that there is a photo out there somewhere with him wearing it.

Peace.

David
Let Fury Have the Hour

shag

Post by shag »

Lion Apparel makes uniforms for law enforcement, fire and rescue, military etc.
looks like cop/security guard shirt.