Rationalising Sandinista!

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Re: Rationalising Sandinista!

Post by Silent Majority »

Though both should probably have been b-sides. Let me get to work on my Sandinista!

It's going to be a downloadable thought exercise.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Junkie Slip is an abomination.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Silent Majority wrote:Love Hitsville, prefer Lose This Skin.
love both songs. Hitsville could've been so much more.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

BR16ADE_R055E
Unknown Immortal

Post by BR16ADE_R055E »

Marky Dread wrote:
I dig the lyrics and music on LTS, just not Tymon's voice. If Mick sang the song, I would've loved it.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

BR16ADE_R055E wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
I dig the lyrics and music on LTS, just not Tymon's voice. If Mick sang the song, I would've loved it.
Agreed. Like the tune but just don't like Tymon's vocals it sounds like it is on the wrong speed.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Here's my Broadway remix - the single the Clash released to build anticipation for their upcoming album, La Revolucion. There are, of course, no children singing at the end of this.

http://depositfiles.com/files/9zcnlnjl5
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Chuck Mangione
Spitting Image

Post by Chuck Mangione »

BR16ADE_R055E wrote:
JennyB wrote:I heard Shitsville on Sirius/XM's First Wave today.
"Hitsville U.K." isn't so bad, even w/ Ellen's vocals. I prefer her vocals to Tymon's in "Lose This Skin."
Me too.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Marky Dread wrote:
When Mick performed it with his daughter a few years back, it was actually great.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

JennyB wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
When Mick performed it with his daughter a few years back, it was actually great.
Yes I thought that was good as well, I've always liked Hitsville.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

I like the vocals on Lose This Skin just fine.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

msza2
Junco Partner

Post by msza2 »

Heston wrote:Any Sandinista tracklist without Something About England is a crime against humanity.
IMO SAE is a key track in any rationalization of Sandinista!, because it's the best song not to sound like the Clash. Giving it a spot on there is similar to, as Flex suggested, sticking IFTL on the US S/T. Some people go for it, while others find the aesthetics too contrasting. Though it's quality would merit inclusion, it's one of the several top-tier songs (among RW and LGC) that would tip a 1LP S! mix too far from their "organic" sound at the time.

I think my tracklist, Sand! --Side A: Mag 7, Leader, SMG, OMT, Call Up, Washington Bullets; Side B: POMB, Kingston, Corner, Charlie, UIH, Broadway, SP -- actually sounds, from start to finish, like it really did come from the minds of the same band that released London Calling a mere 363 days earlier, and I can see the logical progression in each from the White Riot single. I just feel that SAE would spoil that effect.

On another note, a 1LP S! has got to be sequenced differently from the order in which the remaining songs appeared. Broadway does not sound like a Clash song following Call up and WB, but it does following IUH. Charlie and the Call Up are the other big one's that need to be placed delicately. Otherwise they just don't sound like the Clash. There is a specific philosophical term to describe this effect, but i can't recall the name. The Greeks always harped on about it.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

msza2 wrote:
Heston wrote:Any Sandinista tracklist without Something About England is a crime against humanity.
IMO SAE is a key track in any rationalization of Sandinista!, because it's the best song not to sound like the Clash. Giving it a spot on there is similar to, as Flex suggested, sticking IFTL on the US S/T. Some people go for it, while others find the aesthetics too contrasting. Though it's quality would merit inclusion, it's one of the several top-tier songs (among RW and LGC) that would tip a 1LP S! mix too far from their "organic" sound at the time.
Have to disagree with this. SAE does sound like the Clash and fits perfectly on Sandinista alongside songs like Somebody Got Murdered. IFTL on US s/t is another issue altogether.

Chairman Ralph
Long Time Jerk

Post by Chairman Ralph »

I like the vocals on Lose This Skin just fine.
I never had a problem with 'em, either -- Tymon Dogg's voice is what it is, and you either like, it or you don't, I suppose.
Have to disagree with this. SAE does sound like the Clash and fits perfectly on Sandinista alongside songs like Somebody Got Murdered. IFTL on US s/t is another issue altogether.
Agreed: SAE was one of the tracks that made an immediate impression on me, as soon as I heard it. To me, it's one of the Clash's all-time best "big topic" songs -- hell, who else would have attempted to summarize the UK's postwar decline in three-and-a-half-minutes, or thereabouts?

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Hello,

Supply side economic research states competition among individual entities ("tracks") will bring about maximum benefits to all classes of listeners and ... sorry, just realized it's Rationalizing Sandinista not Nationalizing Sandinista...carry on.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

gkbill wrote:Hello,

Supply side economic research states competition among individual entities ("tracks") will bring about maximum benefits to all classes of listeners and ... sorry, just realized it's Rationalizing Sandinista not Nationalizing Sandinista...carry on.
+1
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"