Terrible Clash Covers

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Colin
Junco Partner

Re: Terrible Clash Covers

Post by Colin »

I have a Brazilian cover of Clampdown (in Portuguese) that I quite enjoy, insofar as it sounds eerily like the original, except it's in Portuguese.
Everyone and everything that wasn't a stupendous badass was dead.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Why do all these supposed "professional" artists seem to make a pig's ear of the songs by the supposed "unprofessional" Clash?
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Heston wrote:Why do all these supposed "professional" artists seem to make a pig's ear of the songs by the supposed "unprofessional" Clash?
'Cuz they don't got the spirit, baby.

Even thought I said it amusingly, I am serious about the sentiment. The Clash are great because they captured the zeitgeist, were more than the sum of their parts, had that attitude, etc.

Proverbially, it's why we don't play these games on paper.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

obsoleteshock
Dirty Punk

Post by obsoleteshock »

Worst by far: London's Burning by Silverchair. They did things to this song that could quite possibly qualify having them classified as registered sex offenders.

Aside from that:

Worst
White Man in Hammersmith Palais - 311 (Burning London)
Train in Vain - Third Eye Blind (Burning London)
Will 2k - Will Smith (not a cover, but a horrendous use of Rock the Casbah for a sample)

Best
Lost in the Supermarket - Afghan Wigs (Burning London)
Straight to Hell - Lily Allen (controversial, but at least it is an original spin on the song, and I quite like it)
Guns of Brixton - The Arcade Fire (lots of live versions on Youtube)
Clampdown - Indigo Girls (Burning London - another controversial one, but I actually like Clampdown as a protest folk song - imagine what Bob Dylan could do with it)
Rock the Casbah - Racid Taha (The Future is Unwritten)

Heston

Post by Heston »

Flex wrote:
Heston wrote:Why do all these supposed "professional" artists seem to make a pig's ear of the songs by the supposed "unprofessional" Clash?
'Cuz they don't got the spirit, baby.

Even thought I said it amusingly, I am serious about the sentiment. The Clash are great because they captured the zeitgeist, were more than the sum of their parts, had that attitude, etc.

Proverbially, it's why we don't play these games on paper.
It was a loaded question, and you're right again Flex.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Don't forget the Sharleen Spitari cover of Should I Stay(?). That was a fun thread. Last public utterance of Mensa Steve, I think.
"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back in Whittier, they're not much bigger than two meters.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex

Post by Flex »

Heston wrote:It was a loaded question, and you're right again Flex.
I think I'll just confine myself to answering loaded questions so I can always get the right answer. :shifty:

Pex Lives!

Flex

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:Don't forget the Sharleen Spitari cover of Should I Stay(?). That was a fun thread. Last public utterance of Mensa Steve, I think.
Oh HAHAHAHAHAHA! I remember that one.

And the shit I drunkenly posted and then thought better of.

Addendum: If anyone ever thinks i have a stick up my ass over P.C. words or whatever, they should read that thread. It's like... the worst stereotypes of a P.C. freak come true except out of the mouth of an insanely ignorant pseudo-libertarian. I might have to go read it for shits and giggles.

Pex Lives!

Heston

Post by Heston »

obsoleteshock wrote:Worst by far: London's Burning by Silverchair. They did things to this song that could quite possibly qualify having them classified as registered sex offenders.
Well said, but you spoilt it by mentioning that fat, incontinent pastry chef, Rachid Taha.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote: And the shit I drunkenly posted and then thought better of.

Addendum: If anyone ever thinks i have a stick up my ass over P.C. words or whatever, they should read that thread. It's like... the worst stereotypes of a P.C. freak come true except out of the mouth of an insanely ignorant pseudo-libertarian. I might have to go read it for shits and giggles.
I think that was during the ALCS last year. I dared you to do it in the game chat but never thought it would happen. And like true Internet warriors, we live to sing songs about it.
"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back in Whittier, they're not much bigger than two meters.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Heston

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:I think that was during the ALCS last year. I dared you to do it in the game chat but never thought it would happen. And like true Internet warriors, we live to sing songs about it.
I've been posting here for 6 years and I still don't understand a word of that.

Flex

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:I think that was during the ALCS last year. I dared you to do it in the game chat but never thought it would happen. And like true Internet warriors, we live to sing songs about it.
I sort of regret pussying out. On the other hand, I don't regret that I very likely avoided getting tracked down and shot.

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
I sort of regret pussying out. On the other hand, I don't regret that I very likely avoided getting tracked down and shot.
Like Biafra on No More Cocoons about crank-calling newspapers after the Challenger blew up: We gave up the idea. Same old excuse: what if we get caught?

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

obsoleteshock wrote:Worst by far: London's Burning by Silverchair. They did things to this song that could quite possibly qualify having them classified as registered sex offenders.

Aside from that:

Best

Guns of Brixton - The Arcade Fire (lots of live versions on Youtube)
Totally forgot about that solid cover
[youtube][/youtube]
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

CorwoodRep
Unknown Immortal

Post by CorwoodRep »

I liked Sleater-Kinney's cover of Tommy Gun a lot, because it was just so damned earnest.

The Costello version of Straight to Hell is excellent and I'd like to hear a flushed-out studio take of that same general arrangement without people fucking up/truncating the lyrics.

The Pogues with Shane on vocals did a pretty rave-up version of I Fought The Law, too. I mean, yeah, it was already a cover, but they were clearly ripping off the Clash arrangement.

I can't think of that many Clash covers I've properly heard off-hand, but that one Nouvelle Vague cover of Guns of Brixton, that's awful. The Dropkicks version of Career Opportunities sounds almost like a horrible metal song.
"Put down the meth, boy." - TeddyB, 2013.