Asbury Park photos

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Asbury Park photos

Post by Rat Patrol »

http://www.go2jo.com/?p=242

Pretty fuckin' awesome set of photos from the Asbury Park three-night stand in '82, posted by the photographer on his blog.

daredevil
Unknown Immortal

Re: Asbury Park photos

Post by daredevil »

Those are awesome photos. You can look at the samples without watermarks. Thanks to the photographer for uploading these
to his blog.

Post by Guest »

Hi ...

I'm the photographer ... Joe Streno. Glad you liked my photos. Were any of you at those shows? Can you identify any of the fans in the party photos? I'll take all the help I can get! :)

If you were there, or know any of those people .... leave a comment on my blog post http://www.go2jo.com/?p=242.

I don't mind putting up my photos without watermarks ... as long as folks don't repost or reuse them without my permission.

Otherwise ... thanks for stopping by & posting about my blog here. :)

There will be more to come. So stop back, and FeedBurn my RSS feed, or you can use FeedBurn to have new post links eMailed to you. I will NEVER sell eMail addresses.

Thanks ... Joe

go2jo
Corner Soul

Post by go2jo »

Hi ...

(Sorry I wasn't logged into my new account before I post the previous reply.)

I'm the photographer ... Joe Streno. Glad you liked my photos. Were any of you at those shows? Can you identify any of the fans in the party photos? I'll take all the help I can get! :)

If you were there, or know any of those people .... leave a comment on my blog post http://www.go2jo.com/?p=242.

I don't mind putting up my photos without watermarks ... as long as folks don't repost or reuse them without my permission.

Otherwise ... thanks for stopping by & posting about my blog here. :)

There will be more to come. So stop back, and FeedBurn my RSS feed, or you can use FeedBurn to have new post links eMailed to you. I will NEVER sell eMail addresses.

Thanks ... Joe
Joe Streno
Asbury Park NJ
http://www.go2jo.com

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

Welcome to the board, and great photos. Was one of your photos used on a picture disc? Must have been taken at the same time if it wasn't you.

JulieJazz
Resident Luddite and Crank

Post by JulieJazz »

Those are great pics...especially the live ones!

dd_
Sightsee MC

Post by dd_ »

Thanks go2jo. Those are excellent photos.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Great shots. Do you have any interesting stories regarding the band?
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

go2jo
Corner Soul

Post by go2jo »

Thanks again for all the "thanks & praise". :) Thanks to Rat for the original post. Rat ... how did you find my blog? A search on the Clash?

The only pictures that were ever published were the one "NG" pic of Paul from Bonds in "Teenage Kicks" magazine and maybe some of the party pics from Asbury (though I never got copies of those mags ... sadly.). You also have to realize that I've seen similar pics of the boys in front of the "Mad-O-Rama" because there were several photographers there at the time. I've seen them too and wondered ... how did that person get MY photo??? ; ) So other pics you'll see might be similar but from a slightly different angle. Joe and Mick were always good at taking a moment to look and focus on one photographer, even though there were many. They would look dead into the camera, let you get a shot or two and then do the same for another. I think Joe was especially aware of this, Mick too as you can see in some of the other photos where Mich & Joe are looking dead on. Paul on the other hand ... he was just "there" ... and if you were lucky, or in a one on one ... then you had his attention. But in group shots ... not so much.

The stories I have about the band are ones about taking some of the pics of Joe backstage at Bonds. Also meeting Joe briefly at Electric Lady Land Studios in NYC where they were recording Combat Rock. I was there to meet with Kosmo to show him my Bonds pics of the band. But stuff like that I'll probably save for my blog. :)

Thanks again for all the hits! And they keep on coming ....
Joe Streno
Asbury Park NJ

BR16ADE_R055E
Unknown Immortal

Post by BR16ADE_R055E »

go2jo wrote:Thanks again for all the "thanks & praise". :) Thanks to Rat for the original post. Rat ... how did you find my blog? A search on the Clash?

The only pictures that were ever published were the one "NG" pic of Paul from Bonds in "Teenage Kicks" magazine and maybe some of the party pics from Asbury (though I never got copies of those mags ... sadly.). You also have to realize that I've seen similar pics of the boys in front of the "Mad-O-Rama" because there were several photographers there at the time. I've seen them too and wondered ... how did that person get MY photo??? ; ) So other pics you'll see might be similar but from a slightly different angle.
Rat Patrol probably saw your post on the Strummer News Message Board. Many of us are members of both boards.

You're right, a few Bob Gruen's photos of the band at the Asbury Park amusement park look similar. It's really nice to see both yours and Bob's photos of the event.

snoh
Corner Soul

Post by snoh »

Ah brings back some good memories. And I always that the Clash only played 2 shows, but now realize it was 3. I was at one of the shows where the cherry bomb went off. Like Joe the photog, I don't remember much about the show after all these years. Thanks for the great photos.

go2jo
Corner Soul

Post by go2jo »

snoh wrote:Ah brings back some good memories. And I always that the Clash only played 2 shows, but now realize it was 3. I was at one of the shows where the cherry bomb went off. Like Joe the photog, I don't remember much about the show after all these years. Thanks for the great photos.
Yeah ... I don't remeber the cherry bomb. Oh well ... might have smoked one too many spliffs that night. Or I was intent on taking photos. But really .... how loud could a cherry bomb be in the middle of a Clash show? Did they stop the show? If it was in the middle of Safe European Home or White Riot .. how could you possibly hear it? I really don't remeber. But hey ... if Jonesy remembers it happening after all these years of playing ... it must have happened! ; )

All I know is I was there. I have picture to prove it. But like everything else ... memories are fleeting. So take lots of pictures! Better yet ... video!

Thanks again ... Joe
Joe Streno
Asbury Park NJ

Dirty Harry
Junco Partner

Post by Dirty Harry »

Cheers these photos are excellent!

I always love looking at clash photos and pics from 1982, For some reason they just looked so great around this time
Somebody was trying to tell me that CDs are better than vinyl because they don't have any surface noise. I said, "Listen, mate, "life" has surface noise."

go2jo
Corner Soul

Bonds Photos

Post by go2jo »

Hi all ....

Thank you all for all your visits to my blog ... and especially those who have left comments there. :)

I've posted another article on my blog http://www.go2jo.com talking about one of the photos I took backstage at Bonds. The post is called "The Future is Unwritten ... The Past Has Been Stolen" The photo I talk about is an unpublished photo of Joe Strummer I took backstage at Bonds NYC 1981. I have posted a tiny colorized version of the original I took. I'm not sure, If I'll post the original photo, after reading the post, you'll know why. I'd appreciate your feedback.

Thanks ... Joe :)
Joe Streno
Asbury Park NJ