Footage of The Clash in SF '79

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
BR16ADE_R055E
Unknown Immortal

Footage of The Clash in SF '79

Post by BR16ADE_R055E »

Last night I attended the Target Video show at the Pacific Film Archive in Berkeley (http://www.bampfa.berkeley.edu/film/FN17017). There was a lot of great footage from the '70s & early '80s (Dead Kennedys, Flipper, Black Flag, X, The Nuns, Avengers, The Mutants, Bush Tetras, Siouxsie & The Banshees, etc.), most of which I had never seen before. Target was selling t-shirts (I bought one) in the lobby, and on the back of the t-shirt are logos of bands Target filmed, including The Clash.

I asked Target Video's Joe Rees when and where he filmed The Clash. He replied: a couple of shows, including Geary Temple in San Francisco '79 and at the Target studio on Van Ness. I asked him if the Geary Temple footage was ever released on video in the early '80s, and he said "yes," but I've never heard of that release. One would think it would've showed up on bootleg videos/DVDs, on YouTube, etc., and also Graham doesn't mention the existence of the footage on BMC. It must've been available for a very limited time in '84 when Target Video started releasing videos. Anyway, I told Joe that I hope that Target Video's footage of The Clash will be released on DVD.

Target Video's site: http://www.targetvideo.net
Target Video's MySpace: http://www.myspace.com/targetvideo
Last edited by BR16ADE_R055E on 21 Jun 2008, 12:20am, edited 1 time in total.

Jimmy Jazz
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Re: Footage of The Clash in SF '79

Post by Jimmy Jazz »

Interesting. :shifty:

AdamRamone
Dirty Punk

Post by AdamRamone »

what is this "joe" guy's address? :shifty:
big business it dont like you

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Neato. How was it filmed? I'm hoping this is above Punk Rock Film quality.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

BR16ADE_R055E
Unknown Immortal

Post by BR16ADE_R055E »

Jimmy Jazz wrote:Interesting. :shifty:
Why the :shifty:? There's no reason to doubt him. Target Video's stuff on DVD (through MVD) include: Dead Kennedys, Iggy Pop, Screamers, Devo (in Petaluma), Flipper, The Stranglers, Ramones (Winterland '78 & Civic Center '79) on It's Alive: 1974-1996, and TSOL (just saw it at Amoeba).

EDIT: I forgot The Cramps @ Napa State on DVD, too.
Last edited by BR16ADE_R055E on 22 Jun 2008, 4:51pm, edited 1 time in total.

BR16ADE_R055E
Unknown Immortal

Post by BR16ADE_R055E »

matedog wrote:Neato. How was it filmed? I'm hoping this is above Punk Rock Film quality.
I didn't ask him that question, but judging by the footage I've seen on the DVDs mentioned above this post, I'm guessing that the quality is pretty good, if not great.

Jimmy Jazz
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Jimmy Jazz »

BR16ADE_R055E wrote:
Jimmy Jazz wrote:Interesting. :shifty:
Why the :shifty:? There's no reason to doubt him. Target Video's stuff on DVD (through MVD) include: Dead Kennedys, Iggy Pop, Screamers, Devo (in Petaluma), Flipper, The Stranglers, Ramones (Winterland '78 & Civic Center '79) on It's Alive: 1974-1996, and TSOL (just saw it at Amoeba).
Can't it just be that it's my favorite smiley to use? :shifty:

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Jimmy Jazz wrote:Can't it just be that it's my favorite smiley to use? :shifty:
It is, objectively speaking, the best of the smilies. :shifty:
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Flex wrote:
Jimmy Jazz wrote:Can't it just be that it's my favorite smiley to use? :shifty:
It is, objectively speaking, the best of the smilies. :shifty:
Oh...yeah...definitely... :shifty:
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

:mrgreen:

I'm a Mr. Green fan.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

BostonBeaneater wrote::mrgreen:

I'm a Mr. Green fan.
You would be :shifty:

:mrgreen:
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

BR16ADE_R055E wrote:
20 Jun 2008, 6:01pm
Last night I attended the Target Video show at the Pacific Film Archive in Berkeley (http://www.bampfa.berkeley.edu/film/FN17017). There was a lot of great footage from the '70s & early '80s (Dead Kennedys, Flipper, Black Flag, X, The Nuns, Avengers, The Mutants, Bush Tetras, Siouxsie & The Banshees, etc.), most of which I had never seen before. Target was selling t-shirts (I bought one) in the lobby, and on the back of the t-shirt are logos of bands Target filmed, including The Clash.

I asked Target Video's Joe Rees when and where he filmed The Clash. He replied: a couple of shows, including Geary Temple in San Francisco '79 and at the Target studio on Van Ness. I asked him if the Geary Temple footage was ever released on video in the early '80s, and he said "yes," but I've never heard of that release. One would think it would've showed up on bootleg videos/DVDs, on YouTube, etc., and also Graham doesn't mention the existence of the footage on BMC. It must've been available for a very limited time in '84 when Target Video started releasing videos. Anyway, I told Joe that I hope that Target Video's footage of The Clash will be released on DVD.

Bumping this old ass thread after stumbling on this in the supermarket discussion.

Gil, do you know if there was ever any traction on this? Obviously nothing has been released, but might be worth reaching out again. There website wasn't 'updated too long ago, but is still very old school.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

BR16ADE_R055E
Unknown Immortal

Post by BR16ADE_R055E »

matedog wrote:
09 Mar 2021, 3:24pm
BR16ADE_R055E wrote:
20 Jun 2008, 6:01pm

Bumping this old ass thread after stumbling on this in the supermarket discussion.

Gil, do you know if there was ever any traction on this? Obviously nothing has been released, but might be worth reaching out again. There website wasn't 'updated too long ago, but is still very old school.
The last time I saw Joe was in 2015. I recall him saying that he shot the footage while on the balcony, which was shaking a lot. The floor boards below were bouncing. As a result, the footage looks very shaky. He mentioned something about trying to fix the shaky footage. He and I are friends on FB. Maybe I should ask again.