Two Festhalle '84 Concert Reviews (Translated): Now On Mohawk's Revenge FB Page

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Chairman Ralph
Long Time Jerk

Two Festhalle '84 Concert Reviews (Translated): Now On Mohawk's Revenge FB Page

Post by Chairman Ralph »

Heads up to everybody: I have posted two concert reviews from the Bern '84 gig on the Mohawk's Revenge Facebook page. I'll be glad to do it here, if everybody wants, but I figure you can just as easily head there, and see what they're all about.

Both are post- gig reviews, one from the Berner Zeitung (2/27/84), while I'm not sure about the provenance for the other -- looks like the same paper, but it has to be a different source. Any insight on that would be great.

My sister translated them for me as part of the background/research work I was doing, along with Mark, for We Are The Clash. None of them made it into the book, for all the usual technical reasons -- hey, maybe they'll make into mine, if I do another book, on my own recognizance -- but they offer yet another interesting glimpse of how the critical fraternity was looking at all this whole thing called Clash II.

WE DON'T MISS MJ I.jpg
WE DON'T MISS MJ I.jpg (37.42 KiB) Viewed 1572 times
WE DON'T MISS MJ II.jpg
WE DON'T MISS MJ II.jpg (47.97 KiB) Viewed 1572 times

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: Two Festhalle '84 Concert Reviews (Translated): Now On Mohawk's Revenge FB Page

Post by Marky Dread »

Chairman Ralph wrote:
10 Mar 2024, 7:52pm
Heads up to everybody: I have posted two concert reviews from the Bern '84 gig on the Mohawk's Revenge Facebook page. I'll be glad to do it here, if everybody wants, but I figure you can just as easily head there, and see what they're all about.

Both are post- gig reviews, one from the Berner Zeitung (2/27/84), while I'm not sure about the provenance for the other -- looks like the same paper, but it has to be a different source. Any insight on that would be great.

My sister translated them for me as part of the background/research work I was doing, along with Mark, for We Are The Clash. None of them made it into the book, for all the usual technical reasons -- hey, maybe they'll make into mine, if I do another book, on my own recognizance -- but they offer yet another interesting glimpse of how the critical fraternity was looking at all this whole thing called Clash II.

WE DON'T MISS MJ I.jpg

WE DON'T MISS MJ II.jpg
Thanks for the translations. I'm still baffled why they get called Clash II.

Doesn't happen to other bands. They were not even the second incarnation of The Clash.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Re: Two Festhalle '84 Concert Reviews (Translated): Now On Mohawk's Revenge FB Page

Post by Low Down Low »

Marky Dread wrote:
23 Mar 2024, 6:42am
Chairman Ralph wrote:

WE DON'T MISS MJ I.jpg

WE DON'T MISS MJ II.jpg

Doesn't happen to other bands. They were not even the second incarnation of The Clash.
I'm guessing it was coined by an American after Crap was released and associating it with a number two.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Low Down Low wrote:
23 Mar 2024, 9:57am
Marky Dread wrote:
23 Mar 2024, 6:42am
Chairman Ralph wrote:

WE DON'T MISS MJ I.jpg

WE DON'T MISS MJ II.jpg

I'm guessing it was coined by an American after Crap was released and associating it with a number two.
🤣

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Chairman Ralph
Long Time Jerk

Post by Chairman Ralph »

Well, exactly. One of the ironies of that whole situation is how many seemed to forget that the Clash started as a five-piece -- a point Joe reminds his interlocutor on that picture disk interview, whose title escapes me at the moment.

As far as the Clash II monicker goes, that seems like more of a British term.

I honestly don't remember it being used over here, back in the day. The earliest Clash II reference that I can recall seeing in print is that two-part sitdown of the back catalog that NME did with Joe and Paul in 1988. That's the first time I remember seeing that term, and thinking, "Hm, guess somebody's trying to draw a line under this era, aren't they?"

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Chairman Ralph wrote:
30 Mar 2024, 9:05pm

Well, exactly. One of the ironies of that whole situation is how many seemed to forget that the Clash started as a five-piece -- a point Joe reminds his interlocutor on that picture disk interview, whose title escapes me at the moment.

As far as the Clash II monicker goes, that seems like more of a British term.

I honestly don't remember it being used over here, back in the day. The earliest Clash II reference that I can recall seeing in print is that two-part sitdown of the back catalog that NME did with Joe and Paul in 1988. That's the first time I remember seeing that term, and thinking, "Hm, guess somebody's trying to draw a line under this era, aren't they?"
I can maybe understand that from say Mick and Paul's perspective but not from the fans.

I think fans have simply latched onto that name because of the BAD and BAD II thing which is kind of ironic. But either way they were "The Clash" in name at least even if you disliked the idea of CtC and that line-up.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Chairman Ralph
Long Time Jerk

Post by Chairman Ralph »

I can maybe understand that from say Mick and Paul's perspective but not from the fans.

I think fans have simply latched onto that name because of the BAD and BAD II thing which is kind of ironic. But either way they were "The Clash" in name at least even if you disliked the idea of CtC and that line-up.
Well, from my perspective, when it came to getting tickets for my gig, at MSU, I don't recall anyone in our circle of friends who went -- about five or six of us, all squeezed into one subcompact beater -- debating whether to go, with only the "old firm" of Strummer & Simonon resent. if anything, it was a bigger incentive, and the curiosity factor was just too strong to ignore.

What would that new band sound like? This being the pre-Internet era, you had to buy the record, and/or the ticket, and find out for yourself. So, to me, it was writers who coined that term, whenever they were reaching for some type of jook for whatever angle of the week that they were pushing.

But you're right, whatever anyone said, they were still the Clash, from the standpoint of the name, and of course, playing those songs. It'd be interesting to see how Mick's departure would play out today, in an era of bands circling the globe with just two (The Damned, before Rat rejoined recently), one (Black Flag, The Godfathers), or no original members left (Dr. Feelgood). I suspect it'd be different, since you don't see the same degree of anguish or outrage that greeted a key member's departure back in the day.