Whats left?

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Re: Whats left?

Post by Heston »

Heston wrote:
21 Jan 2024, 7:48pm
Blackmarketclash wrote:
20 Jan 2024, 7:36pm
I suspect there is a considerable amount left but its not a priority for anyone. The 13th evening at Bonds was a multi camera pro shoot and probably on the CoB reels. I suspect there is a considerable amount of TV material that is currently LQ or incomplete.

The CoB reels are one fo two things. Transferred, all 20 or so reels, or not transferred because baking them and transferring them is to costly?

I suspect too that if the band puts out an appeal for soundboards, whilst not to the standards they may wish, a considerable number will appear. They are not the sort of thing you chuck away unless your an ELO fan who accidentally found himself doing the sound that night. The Clash were special.

Funny how the Asbury Park video got split into two, common and rare, but all from the same source. I don't believe they turned the board or the cameras off at Athens. The temptation for a quiet personal copy would have been too much.
What is the deal with Asbury Park? I'm sure I read some footage exists which doesn't seem to be in common circulation.
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=13896&p=671073&hilit=Asbury#p671073
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Mark^Bastard
Sightsee MC

Post by Mark^Bastard »

The other day I saw an article online where some chicken farmer had processed millions of eggs and found a round egg. Apparently they are that rare. I found a fucking round egg and I've cracked maybe 100 eggs in my whole life. What a waste of good luck!

So let me say some things that are unlikely but more likely than finding a round egg.

1 - A mint proper release of Rat Patrol that Mick put together with full blessing of the label, JS's estate and the surviving members. Exactly what it would have been if it were released. All the love given to cover art etc.
2 - A remaster of GEER that changes the production to something less what it is. More breath and space. More of a re-engineering than re-mastering if that makes sense. Dunno if that's even possible without overdubs (which I would be against). Maybe the same again with the songs themselves being different / added to (reducing length, adding in songs that could have been on it from the same era). Again Mick being in charge would be good. This one is very unlikely and controversial but I'd like it.
3 - An actual exhaustive anthology release. Like Sound System got 95% of the way there but I'd like a non stone unturned approach. There's a decent amount of songs like the ones from Clash on Broadway that didn't make it for no good reason. I could make a playlist but it'd be cool to have one boxset that makes the rest of my records collect dust.

danbot
Dirty Punk

Post by danbot »

I would guess there must be some alternate takes from the studio albums. Certainly for GEER at least, given Sandy Pearlman's perfectionist tendencies.

joe darkie
Corner Soul

Post by joe darkie »

Clash with Joe Ely at Hope & Anchor 1980

“IS THE 'LOST JAM' FINALLY ON ITS WAY?

0NFebruary 24, 1980, The Clash joined Joe Ely on stage at the Hope & Anchor in Islington. Ely and his band had already supported The Clash around London that month and would go on to record Live Shots at The Venue. But the Hope & Anchor session was unplanned. "We had a couple of days when we weren't doing anything, so we asked The Clash if they wanted to do some jamming," recalls Ely, who later appeared with them at Bond's. "We just started playing things we knew, like old Buddy Holly songs and rockabilly stuff. And Clash things too, like 'Jimmy Jazz'and'l Fought The Law'. You had two complete bands playing on this little tiny stage about the size of a mattress. It's real interesting, because it's got this reggae influence and then the sound of Lubbock, Texas, where I come from-kind of a western dustbowl feel, with steel guitar, accordion and country music from the '50s and '60s. And we recorded the whole thing. We've talked to CBS about releasing it and right now we're in the middle of deciding what to do with it. It's amazing how good it sounds."

joe darkie
Corner Soul

Post by joe darkie »

And Bonds of course..

THE BOND'S EXPERIENCE ON RECORD AND FILM

IN the absence of a definitive official document of The Clash at Bond's, we're left to sift and sort through a number of different sources. The band's show on June 9, 1981, originally aired by local FM radio, has been widely bootlegged over the years. Three Sony-recorded songs from the final night of the residency - "Train In Vain", "The Guns Of Brixton" and a particularly vicious "Complete Control"-fetched up on 1999's From Here To Eternity: Live. Despite its promising title, 1991 boxset Clash On Broadway features just one ond's recording: "Lightning Strikes (Not Once But Twice)". Don Letts' proposed film of the New York trek, Clash On Broadway, exists only in truncated form on 2000's Westway To The World DVD. "The Clashhad asked me to come along and document the event on film," Letts explains today. "In the demise of the whole Clash mess later on, Bernie [Rhodes, manager] left the negatives in a lab and didn't pay the bill. Unbelievably, they were destroyed. Luckily I managed to salvage some of it, because lhada cutting copy under my bed. In fact, there's stuff sitting around that I'm waiting for the boys to make their mind up as to what we can do with it. Personally, I can't wait!"

motorsmell
Junco Partner

Post by motorsmell »

joe darkie wrote:
24 Jan 2024, 9:30am

0NFebruary 24, 1980, The Clash joined Joe Ely on stage at the Hope & Anchor in Islington. Ely and his band had already supported The Clash around London that month and would go on to record Live Shots at The Venue. But the Hope & Anchor session was unplanned. "We had a couple of days when we weren't doing anything, so we asked The Clash if they wanted to do some jamming," recalls Ely, who later appeared with them at Bond's. "We just started playing things we knew, like old Buddy Holly songs and rockabilly stuff. And Clash things too, like 'Jimmy Jazz'and'l Fought The Law'. You had two complete bands playing on this little tiny stage about the size of a mattress. It's real interesting, because it's got this reggae influence and then the sound of Lubbock, Texas, where I come from-kind of a western dustbowl feel, with steel guitar, accordion and country music from the '50s and '60s. And we recorded the whole thing. We've talked to CBS about releasing it and right now we're in the middle of deciding what to do with it. It's amazing how good it sounds."
That sounds wicked!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

motorsmell wrote:
24 Jan 2024, 1:33pm
joe darkie wrote:

That sounds wicked!
Been wanting to hear this for ages. The "Live Shots" album has great sound.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

motorsmell
Junco Partner

Post by motorsmell »

Marky Dread wrote:
24 Jan 2024, 1:58pm
motorsmell wrote:
joe darkie wrote:

That sounds wicked!
I had zero idea about it until now, why its not yet been released is insanity!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

motorsmell wrote:
24 Jan 2024, 2:06pm
Marky Dread wrote:
24 Jan 2024, 1:58pm
motorsmell wrote:
joe darkie wrote:

That sounds wicked!
I had zero idea about it until now, why its not yet been released is insanity!
I expect it all comes down to being able to sell it for a healthy return. Record companies don't give a shit about how great something maybe to a fan base but if it can make any money. And sadly unless this session is attached to something else that will sell then I wouldn't hold your breath too long.

Still we hope...

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Red Angel
Junco Partner

Post by Red Angel »

After they gave birth to "Combat Rock / The People's Hall" I have no hope. :cry:
Music is the only thing that matters

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Red Angel wrote:
26 Jan 2024, 4:01pm
After they gave birth to "Combat Rock / The People's Hall" I have no hope. :cry:
I'm still smarting at what a waste of time and effort that was.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Heston wrote:
26 Jan 2024, 4:13pm
Red Angel wrote:
I had almost forgotten, but now I'm seething again.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Kory wrote:
26 Jan 2024, 7:29pm
Heston wrote:
Red Angel wrote:
You ain't gonna get anything more than what you've already got.

Maybe a touch of an upgrade in sound quality but not much else.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
26 Jan 2024, 7:36pm
Kory wrote:
Heston wrote:
Red Angel wrote:
You ain't gonna get anything more than what you've already got.

Maybe a touch of an upgrade in sound quality but not much else.
That's my guess. Maybe there'll be another blast of remasters in the next decade, perhaps packaged with a period-specific live album—in other words, a modest version of your sets—but I can't see anything actually new ever emerging. That Rat Patrol fluke was an amazing moment never to be duplicated.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Kory wrote:
Heston wrote:
Red Angel wrote:
I'm seething more that i hadn't forgotten than if i had forgotten and had just being reminded.