Whats left?

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
motorsmell
Junco Partner

Re: Whats left?

Post by motorsmell »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Jan 2024, 7:53pm
Marky Dread wrote:
26 Jan 2024, 7:36pm
Kory wrote:
26 Jan 2024, 7:29pm
Heston wrote:
26 Jan 2024, 4:13pm
Red Angel wrote:
26 Jan 2024, 4:01pm
After they gave birth to "Combat Rock / The People's Hall" I have no hope. :cry:
I'm still smarting at what a waste of time and effort that was.
I had almost forgotten, but now I'm seething again.
You ain't gonna get anything more than what you've already got.

Maybe a touch of an upgrade in sound quality but not much else.
That's my guess. Maybe there'll be another blast of remasters in the next decade, perhaps packaged with a period-specific live album—in other words, a modest version of your sets—but I can't see anything actually new ever emerging. That Rat Patrol fluke was an amazing moment never to be duplicated.
Unfortunately I tend to agree, sounds system was supposedly mick's final word on the clash and it seems like he holds the key to most things. I can't remember any clash member doing any publicity for the last "big" release Proples hall so Sony obviously had all those tapes anyway and forced the release. I can understand Mick, Paul and Topper not wanting to flog a dead horse with endless compilations etc (there's enough of those as it is) but I can only asume Mick has plenty of quality tapes left and could release somthing of worth if he wanted to...I can't see Sony refusing to release more LTD edition stuff it's gotta be Mick not wanting to do anymore. Hopefully Dark Horse will serve us better with the Strummer archive.

TimBucknall1978
Corner Soul

Post by TimBucknall1978 »

I was doing some research for an unrelated project and WXRT not only have Chicago 79 but they recorded it in 4 channel for quadraphonic broadcast so we could get a Clash concert in surround if Mick & Paul were in to it

King BIscuit lost their multi channel masters in a fire but WXRT have them stashed away gathering dust just waiting for the a representative of the band to retrieve them

also it seems Ken Rasek the engineer at WXRT recorded a lot of stuff in quad for his own amusement , stuff that was never intended to be broadcast
the list is still being reconstructed but the Chicago 82 & 84 shows could be in his stash too

unlikely to ever get an official release because its Clash 2 but rumours that Swedish Radio recorded 2/17/84
it used to be very easy to get stuff from their archives, they even used to publish a list of what they held but they've since tightened up

Paris Sept 81 is the one i really want to hear in pristine quality

If The official Clash aren't interested we are at least getting a steady stream of grey market releases so if it exists we can hold out a bit of hope of getting it

aza
Bang Ice Geezer

Post by aza »

got that this is not exactly clash, but so curious what the Soul Vendors sounded like- anyone know if a tape is even floating around? someone must have recorded..

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

aza wrote:
30 Jan 2024, 12:53pm
got that this is not exactly clash, but so curious what the Soul Vendors sounded like- anyone know if a tape is even floating around? someone must have recorded..
The group that backed Jackie Mittoo?

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

aza
Bang Ice Geezer

Post by aza »

ah maybe im blanking on what that side band of Joe's was called- the ska/soul cover band '80 or '81...

white man
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by white man »

motorsmell wrote:
27 Jan 2024, 4:55am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Jan 2024, 7:53pm
Marky Dread wrote:
26 Jan 2024, 7:36pm
Kory wrote:
26 Jan 2024, 7:29pm
Heston wrote:

I had almost forgotten, but now I'm seething again.
You ain't gonna get anything more than what you've already got.

Maybe a touch of an upgrade in sound quality but not much else.
That's my guess. Maybe there'll be another blast of remasters in the next decade, perhaps packaged with a period-specific live album—in other words, a modest version of your sets—but I can't see anything actually new ever emerging. That Rat Patrol fluke was an amazing moment never to be duplicated.
Unfortunately I tend to agree, sounds system was supposedly mick's final word on the clash and it seems like he holds the key to most things. I can't remember any clash member doing any publicity for the last "big" release Proples hall so Sony obviously had all those tapes anyway and forced the release. I can understand Mick, Paul and Topper not wanting to flog a dead horse with endless compilations etc (there's enough of those as it is) but I can only asume Mick has plenty of quality tapes left and could release somthing of worth if he wanted to...I can't see Sony refusing to release more LTD edition stuff it's gotta be Mick not wanting to do anymore. Hopefully Dark Horse will serve us better with the Strummer archive.
I recall that we got a very positive indication that Sony were not the problem.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Heston wrote:
Red Angel wrote:
After they gave birth to "Combat Rock / The People's Hall" I have no hope. :cry:
I was pleasantly surprised that we had a brand new (albeit instrumental) outtake of He Who Dares or Is Tired. Has me hopeful that there are more outtakes that we were otherwise unaware of.

But yeah, otherwise, fuck this compilation.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

matedog wrote:
31 Jan 2024, 5:27pm
Heston wrote:
Red Angel wrote:
I was pleasantly surprised that we had a brand new (albeit instrumental) outtake of He Who Dares or Is Tired. Has me hopeful that there are more outtakes that we were otherwise unaware of.

But yeah, otherwise, fuck this compilation.
"Outside Bonds" is laughing at you.🤣

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

yetaca
Bang Ice Geezer

Post by yetaca »

That new version of know your rights is great tho. My favorite version. Also made it better to understand what those early live versions were supposed to sound like. Especially the vocals

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

I seem to remember someone telling me that Rob Harper had a bunch of (rehearsal?) tapes that he used to learn/remember some of the songs for the Anarchy Tour, I think.

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

That elusive London SS tape, too. Wasn't Campino supposed to have a copy?
Who pfaffed the pfaff? Who got pfaffed tonight?

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Inder wrote:
03 Feb 2024, 12:12am
I seem to remember someone telling me that Rob Harper had a bunch of (rehearsal?) tapes that he used to learn/remember some of the songs for the Anarchy Tour, I think.
Not a bunch of tapes but a single tape of rehearsals is my understanding. Though I'm sure I've read he couldn't find it.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Olaf wrote:
03 Feb 2024, 2:34am
Both Mick and Tony have copies. Also TeddyB mentioned here previously that the tape was cleaned up when Tony had the first Generation X album remastered. Though there are no plans to release the tape.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

yetaca wrote:
02 Feb 2024, 2:51am
That new version of know your rights is great tho. My favorite version. Also made it better to understand what those early live versions were supposed to sound like. Especially the vocals
I agree that was cool to have.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

Marky Dread wrote:
03 Feb 2024, 4:51am
Olaf wrote:
03 Feb 2024, 2:34am
Both Mick and Tony have copies. Also TeddyB mentioned here previously that the tape was cleaned up when Tony had the first Generation X album remastered. Though there are no plans to release the tape.
Guess there's a reason why both Mick and Tony are reluctant to share it, and we'll have to respect that.
Who pfaffed the pfaff? Who got pfaffed tonight?