What was the consensus surrounding Sandanista after its release in 81' amongst the Clash fanbase?

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Guest1

What was the consensus surrounding Sandanista after its release in 81' amongst the Clash fanbase?

Post by Guest1 »

I'm curious about this. Was there a huge backlash? Seems like most people embraced it. Those who were more close minded probably got off board with them after LC anyhow. Still I could see S! being hugely jarring just the same. I know for me personally it took years of fandom and maturity for me to finally warm up to it.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Re: What was the consensus surrounding Sandanista after its release in 81' amongst the Clash fanbase?

Post by Heston »

RockNRollWhore wrote:
09 Apr 2021, 3:29am
I'm curious about this. Was there a huge backlash? Seems like most people embraced it. Those who were more close minded probably got off board with them after LC anyhow. Still I could see S! being hugely jarring just the same. I know for me personally it took years of fandom and maturity for me to finally warm up to it.
I think in the UK it was mostly met with ridicule.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

JohnS
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Re: What was the consensus surrounding Sandanista after its release in 81' amongst the Clash fanbase?

Post by JohnS »

RockNRollWhore wrote:
I can't say it was a consensus, but yes, it wasn't well received by anyone I knew, and was slated in the press. I didn't buy it, until I got a CD player ten years later! It didn't have a signature single, or anthemic album track, and you just felt 'THREE LPs? there's got to be filler here...'
With hindsight, I wouldn't change it for the world, but at the time it was too much, too soon, and it paled compared to London Calling (which was still fresh, don't forget, not like these days when sometimes bands take years to release albums)
Ignore Alien Hors d'oeuvres

Guest1

Post by Guest1 »

JohnS wrote:
09 Apr 2021, 4:54am
RockNRollWhore wrote:
I can't say it was a consensus, but yes, it wasn't well received by anyone I knew, and was slated in the press. I didn't buy it, until I got a CD player ten years later! It didn't have a signature single, or anthemic album track, and you just felt 'THREE LPs? there's got to be filler here...'
With hindsight, I wouldn't change it for the world, but at the time it was too much, too soon, and it paled compared to London Calling (which was still fresh, don't forget, not like these days when sometimes bands take years to release albums)
I mean in all honesty they had to evolve. Trying to make another LC would be a futile effort. Perhaps they could have thrown a few more rockier numbers in the mix to even things out but you can't force inspiration. That was the headspace they were in at the time and honestly it made for a great record. There's so much going on production wise, with all the sounds and effects and reverb and such. It's an audiophiles wet dream. I really wish there was a making of Sandinista documentary. Some weeks it takes the top spot as my favorite Clash record.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

It was my first Clash album after becoming a fan. I think all I'd heard at that point was hitsville and bankrobber so had no real idea what the clash should sound like. Pretty much loved it unconditionally and then moved onto the other stuff.

As for reception, I'd wonder how they were ever going to follow LC anyway? Next record was always going to be problematic and almost inevitably compared unfavourably. In hindsight, i think they did a weird and fabulous thing, but of course didn't feel that way to most at the time.

Guest1

Post by Guest1 »

Low Down Low wrote:
09 Apr 2021, 5:51am
It was my first Clash album after becoming a fan. I think all I'd heard at that point was hitsville and bankrobber so had no real idea what the clash should sound like. Pretty much loved it unconditionally and then moved onto the other stuff.

As for reception, I'd wonder how they were ever going to follow LC anyway? Next record was always going to be problematic and almost inevitably compared unfavourably. In hindsight, i think they did a weird and fabulous thing, but of course didn't feel that way to most at the time.
I mean if they had gotten stuck in the rut of anthemic punk tunes/ska songs every record they would just be proto-Rancid now wouldn't they be? ;)
But yeah it was just a logical evolution. Wouldn't have mattered what they did really it was always going to be unfavorably compared. They were always too soulful a band to go down the Joy Division post punk type route either. That frigidness wouldn't have served them well. Imagine if they went full on hardcore punk? lol

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

I suppose logistically there were two alternative routes. A single album packed with killer tunes that the critics, however hard they tried, would have found difficult to fault. I'm sure they'd have nitpicked anyway, about thinness of the sound, thematic subjects, or whatever else might occur to them. Or fill it out for the double and inevitably it would be an inferior version of its predecessor.

So ultimately i think they made a brave and ingenious decision, if the critics were going to give them a pasting anyway, then just go ahead and give them the easy ammunition. Let them have a field day. If anything, i think it might have helped gel the band even tighter together but...well....bernie...

Guest1

Post by Guest1 »

Low Down Low wrote:
09 Apr 2021, 6:25am
I suppose logistically there were two alternative routes. A single album packed with killer tunes that the critics, however hard they tried, would have found difficult to fault. I'm sure they'd have nitpicked anyway, about thinness of the sound, thematic subjects, or whatever else might occur to them. Or fill it out for the double and inevitably it would be an inferior version of its predecessor.

So ultimately i think they made a brave and ingenious decision, if the critics were going to give them a pasting anyway, then just go ahead and give them the easy ammunition. Let them have a field day. If anything, i think it might have helped gel the band even tighter together but...well....bernie...
It simply doesn't work as a single or double either. The sprawl is part of the charm. I feel like the official version of CR is lacking for that very reason. Rat Patrol strangely just feels so much more cohesive and fleshed out.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

RockNRollWhore wrote:
09 Apr 2021, 6:47am
Low Down Low wrote:
09 Apr 2021, 6:25am

It simply doesn't work as a single or double either. The sprawl is part of the charm. I feel like the official version of CR is lacking for that very reason. Rat Patrol strangely just feels so much more cohesive and fleshed out.
If we could turn clock back and change one thing, releasing RPFFB somewhere close to micks conception would be pretty close to top of my list. To paraphrase Kevin Keegan, i would just love it if that had happened.

coffeepotman
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by coffeepotman »

I loved it the day I bought it, all 6 sides of it. It just got weirder and weirder, didn't know where it was going but by the end it was quite a trip. Turned me on to all sorts of new sounds and musical ideas

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

When I first heard S! I was kinda underwhelmed. Made a 45 min. "Best Of" tape and took it back to the record shop. Didn't get my money back, but was allowed to pick some other record.
Last edited by Olaf on 09 Apr 2021, 11:16am, edited 1 time in total.
Who pfaffed the pfaff? Who got pfaffed tonight?

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Olaf wrote:
09 Apr 2021, 11:15am
When I first heard S! I was kinda underwhelmed. Made a 45 min. Best Of tape and took it back to the record shop. Didn't get my money back, but was allowed to pick some other record.
Your feelings now?
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

It's no GEER.

Seriously, I love it, but I derive very little pleasure from Side 6.
Who pfaffed the pfaff? Who got pfaffed tonight?

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

I bought it the day it was released. Some tracks took longer to get into. But it's one of my most played records ever. I love every groove of that album. I could go back to it and hear something new. Never boring!

Fuck all the silly little punk rockers that only wanted 1-2-3-4.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Love it too. There's only really 2 songs i can't get into out of 36 which is a good innings in any language. More than down with S6 too. Version City, LIF, SOS, Version Pardner - like all of these. And on a tangent, Mikey Dreads SOS is superlative.