Clash Live Series (Only an idea)

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Kory
Unknown Immortal

Re: Clash Live Series (Only an idea)

Post by Kory »

For the record, I got it right away. It's not easy being a super genius but it pays off sometimes.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

So is it Bonds? Just audio, or video too? Or 'Clash On Broadway' complete? Dudes, I'm dyin ovah heah...
Strong shoes is what we got and when they're hot they're hot!
- Marky Dread and his fabulous Screaming Blue Messiahs

white man
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by white man »

;)

Red Angel
Junco Partner

Post by Red Angel »

I imagine that almost everyone (even me) prefer to have full concerts released, but I must admit that the idea of one, or more, compilations with songs from various periods, well mixed as FHTE, has its charm.
Music is the only thing that matters

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

TeddyB Not Logged In wrote:
16 Jan 2020, 10:26pm
🤫
Teddy, any sense on whether/how COVID will be affecting whatever this release is?

TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by TeddyB Not Logged In »

Kory wrote:
15 Apr 2020, 3:41pm
🤫
Teddy, any sense on whether/how COVID will be affecting whatever this release is?
No. I haven't discussed this kind of stuff with Mick since the weird times began. I imagine it would do though. There's no fifty year copyright issue looming and I think proper promotion of this release would encompass things inconducive to social distancing. That said, again, I don't know, nor do I know how close it is/was to being finished. I shall say no more.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

15 Apr 2020, 7:52pm
Kory wrote:
15 Apr 2020, 3:41pm
🤫
No. I haven't discussed this kind of stuff with Mick since the weird times began. I imagine it would do though. There's no fifty year copyright issue looming and I think proper promotion of this release would encompass things inconducive to social distancing. That said, again, I don't know, nor do I know how close it is/was to being finished. I shall say no more.
Thanks for responding!

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Per the Lewisham soundboard discussion, looks like we can confirm night 1 of Shea as well in the Sony vaults. I revised the initial post to include that. Not nearly as compelling, but interesting to note how much they have in the vaults confirmed.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

matedog wrote:
16 Jan 2020, 12:54pm
Bruce has been releasing a ton of his professionally recorded shows (and some semi-professionally recorded) via the Nugs website. This includes a lot of his legendary shows which has been a lot of fun to finally get these shows. There's been some inconsistency with some of the mixes, but it's generally been great for the fans as they have been sitting on a lot these tapes for 40+ years.

That got me fantasizing about The Clash doing a similar thing - professionally mixed releases of their live archive. Let's be honest, they probably aren't going to have big sellers worthy of promotion like the one time they tried with the woeful Live at Shea. Why not release these tapes via a similar site like Nugs to monetize these tapes that are collecting dust?

Using FHTE as a baseline of stuff we KNOW Sony has in their archives, I could see these being possible for release:

1979-01-03 - Lyceum - Easy promo since professional footage of this show
1980-02-18 - Lewisham - Easy promo since professional footage of this show
1981-06-08 - Bonds - Easy promo since professional footage of this show
1981-06-09 - Bonds - Easy promo since professional footage of this show
1982-09-07 - Boston
1982-09-08 - Boston
1982-10-12 - Shea Night 1

Stuff Sony *might* have access to (this is hard with BMC down, so I'm going on memory and am probably missing some stuff):
1982-02-25 - Hong Kong - I believe this was a radio broadcast, so perhaps a pre-broadcast tape is available.
1981-05-10 - Teddy B mentioned Sony was planning on releasing this as part of a S! anniversary release. That strongly suggests they have the tapes.
1977-05-28 - I believe this was a radio broadcast, so perhaps a pre-broadcast tape is available.
1976-Various - There's a rumor that Mickey Foote recorded a bunch of earlier shows. Perhaps through 1977.

I could probably go on with other radio broadcasts that *might* be available, but I think you get the idea. I suppose Sony would have to determine if this would make sufficient money vs. the cost to mix and master the tapes. Ideally Sony would earn money on this release and the fans would get some great new material (win-win). Or they might hold on to something like Lewisham to package with London Calling 50th in 10 years. Though the way they handle the legacy, they'll just repackage the regular album "Special 50th Anniversary Remaster" with a picture book or something. Or something else worthless like the vanilla tapes on vinyl
...However I would love to know if just the overdub material without the "live" feed is still available. Those tracks were played on screen with The Clash playing along while they dubbed their parts over the top.

Imagine those tracks without the crowd and band being heard underneath. You've then got some great studio takes.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Marky Dread wrote:
23 Sep 2020, 12:19pm

...However I would love to know if just the overdub material without the "live" feed is still available. Those tracks were played on screen with The Clash playing along while they dubbed their parts over the top.

Imagine those tracks without the crowd and band being heard underneath. You've then got some great studio takes.
Are you referring to the Rude Boy songs? As far as I know, that's the only known studio overdubs on live tracks right?
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

matedog wrote:
23 Sep 2020, 12:24pm
Marky Dread wrote:

Are you referring to the Rude Boy songs? As far as I know, that's the only known studio overdubs on live tracks right?
Yes exactly. But those overdubs are literally laid on top of the live performances. I want to hear just the overdubs as stand alone tracks.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

matedog wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

I'm almost certain I've read that Mick punched up/sweetened some tracks for FHTE as well.

Telecaster
Dirty Punk

Post by Telecaster »

That would be very interesting to hear. City Of The Dead sounds amazing with the overdubs. Topper's drumming really drives the whole song. If enough overdub components are intact, it makes a live studio album.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Inder wrote:
23 Sep 2020, 1:03pm
matedog wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

I'm almost certain I've read that Mick punched up/sweetened some tracks for FHTE as well.
Is this true? I was under the impression it was just those tracks that had already been dubbed for "Rude Boy". Although this makes me wonder if there were any tracks that were dubbed for "Rude Boy" and not used at the time.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Telecaster wrote:
23 Sep 2020, 1:04pm
That would be very interesting to hear. City Of The Dead sounds amazing with the overdubs. Topper's drumming really drives the whole song. If enough overdub components are intact, it makes a live studio album.
It was my understanding the whole band played along in the studio to the film footage.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia