Vanilla Tapes Question

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
jnadams99
Corner Soul

Vanilla Tapes Question

Post by jnadams99 »

I was recently listening to the special edition of London Calling and I noticed in the liner notes that the actual Vanilla Tapes actually had 37 tracks on it and only 21 of them are on the CD. It claims that every song is represented, indicating that the other 16 tracks are alternate takes of songs already on the CD. Does anyone know anything about these 16 tracks? Are they noticeably different?

white man
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Re: Vanilla Tapes Question

Post by white man »

I read your question wrong so have edited my answer. Are you confusing the original album + extra tracks as a 37 track package or are you saying there's the 21 track Vanilla Tapes album with potentially more unheard stuff.
Edit Again. Just read the liner notes online and it appears there were 7 tracks.
Last edited by white man on 22 May 2019, 8:42am, edited 1 time in total.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

The only thing we've heard is an alternate version of Rudie Can't Fail which came with Uncut(?) magazine.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

white man
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by white man »

"The tapes Mick discovered included 37 tracks in total. These have been pared down to the 21 best versions. Every song they recorded is represented here"
That would suggest there were more than one version of 16 of the tracks. I know i'm repeating here. Would only be of interest to an avid collector nowadays.

jnadams99
Corner Soul

Post by jnadams99 »

I was just curious if the 16 repeated tracks sounded the same or if there were noticeable differences. Its very likely none of us know, but with all of the bootlegs floating around, I was wondering if someone here had heard them. That's all.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

white man wrote:
22 May 2019, 8:50am
"The tapes Mick discovered included 37 tracks in total. These have been pared down to the 21 best versions. Every song they recorded is represented here"
That would suggest there were more than one version of 16 of the tracks. I know i'm repeating here. Would only be of interest to an avid collector nowadays.
Yeah but that's us!
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Heston

Post by Heston »

jnadams99 wrote:
22 May 2019, 8:57am
I was just curious if the 16 repeated tracks sounded the same or if there were noticeable differences. Its very likely none of us know, but with all of the bootlegs floating around, I was wondering if someone here had heard them. That's all.
Maybe TeddyB has heard them as he is a friend of Mick but no one else on here has heard them.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

white man
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by white man »

Kory wrote:
22 May 2019, 12:37pm
white man wrote:
Yeah but that's us!
Its some on here. They would be nice to have but to be honest, how many times have we played disc two of the 25th Anniversary Edition. I have it on hard drive, easily accessible and would struggle to reach double figures. If I'm sounding like a humbug please let me know.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Heston wrote:
22 May 2019, 8:33am
The only thing we've heard is an alternate version of Rudie Can't Fail which came with Uncut(?) magazine.
I think I missed this. Just an alt take? Don't see it on youtube.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

jnadams99
Corner Soul

Post by jnadams99 »

white man wrote:
22 May 2019, 2:35pm
Kory wrote:
white man wrote:
Yeah but that's us!
Its some on here. They would be nice to have but to be honest, how many times have we played disc two of the 25th Anniversary Edition. I have it on hard drive, easily accessible and would struggle to reach double figures. If I'm sounding like a humbug please let me know.
Well, my car has a multi disc player, and when I play London Calling, I put the Vanilla Tape CD in right after it and I listen to them both back to back. So, to answer your question, I listen to it quite often. But maybe I'm the minority.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

white man wrote:
Kory wrote:
white man wrote:
Yeah but that's us!
I'm there, too. It's a curiosity to me. Glad to have it for historical value and all that, but I'm going to play the album or one of Marky's mixes of the album.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Heston

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 May 2019, 3:00pm
white man wrote:
Kory wrote:
white man wrote:
Yeah but that's us!
I'm there, too. It's a curiosity to me. Glad to have it for historical value and all that, but I'm going to play the album or one of Marky's mixes of the album.
It's never had that much play from me either. The songs are sketchy and the quality is bad for the most part.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Heston wrote:
22 May 2019, 3:16pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 May 2019, 3:00pm
white man wrote:
Kory wrote:
white man wrote:
Yeah but that's us!
It's never had that much play from me either. The songs are sketchy and the quality is bad for the most part.
I’ve probably listened to the whole thing less than 5 times. For similar reasons. Interesting document, but I never really enjoy listening.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Heston

Post by Heston »

matedog wrote:
22 May 2019, 2:44pm
Heston wrote:
22 May 2019, 8:33am
I think I missed this. Just an alt take? Don't see it on youtube.
I think it was an alternate mix. More info here...

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2915

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Man, after all the time we spent berating Johnny Green for leaving the tapes on the tube, nobody really cares about them now. Fickle humans.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc