1st Album

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: 1st Album

Post by Marky Dread »

geraldmanns wrote:
10 Apr 2019, 12:36pm
OK, I first checked my record player with one of the vinyls of my band to see if the turntable speed is accurate. And it is. Now, the first album, bought in 1978 (english pressing). Played along to every song, checking the chords from Clash Songbook and... apart from Remote Control (which is a quarter of a tone too low) every song is perfect in tune. Remote Control seems to be varispeeded a bit slower (for what reasons ever). But the rest of the album is in tune.
Thanks for this info mate appreciated. I wonder why they chose to slow down Remote Control. I also wonder if it was a band decision to do this or the record company with a view to it being released as a single. Could this also have played a part with the fall out over it's release.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

geraldmanns wrote:
OK, I first checked my record player with one of the vinyls of my band to see if the turntable speed is accurate. And it is. Now, the first album, bought in 1978 (english pressing). Played along to every song, checking the chords from Clash Songbook and... apart from Remote Control (which is a quarter of a tone too low) every song is perfect in tune. Remote Control seems to be varispeeded a bit slower (for what reasons ever). But the rest of the album is in tune.
This matches up with my observations earlier in the thread.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Marky Dread wrote:
10 Apr 2019, 1:26pm
geraldmanns wrote:
Thanks for this info mate appreciated. I wonder why they chose to slow down Remote Control. I also wonder if it was a band decision to do this or the record company with a view to it being released as a single. Could this also have played a part with the fall out over it's release.
It may have been slowed down before they recorded the vocal as it doesn't sound varispeeded vocally. It was possibly a case of it was a great take but played a bit too fast. Or it may have been their guitars weren't tuned to concert pitch that day.

The reason they spat their dummy out over CCR was because it was vari-speeded at the mastering stage and gave it the chipmunk sound. And was done without their permission.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
10 Apr 2019, 3:35pm
Marky Dread wrote:
10 Apr 2019, 1:26pm
geraldmanns wrote:
It may have been slowed down before they recorded the vocal as it doesn't sound varispeeded vocally. It was possibly a case of it was a great take but played a bit too fast. Or it may have been their guitars weren't tuned to concert pitch that day.

The reason they spat their dummy out over CCR was because it was vari-speeded at the mastering stage and gave it the chipmunk sound. And was done without their permission.
Yeah know all that as fact regards CCR. You may be correct regards the instrumental being slowed down the vocal sounds perfect and great.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

I'd like to hear RC at it's originally recorded speed, if that's the case.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc