Mick Jones – Working Class?

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Hammy
Dirty Punk

Mick Jones – Working Class?

Post by Hammy »

I was browsing a book on The Specials, that cheekily took a pot shot at not only Joe, but also Mick – for being middle class
(whilst completely overlooking Dammer's public school background?!)
So, Mick – middle class...surely not?

101Walterton
The Best

Re: Mick Jones – Working Class?

Post by 101Walterton »

Not.

rudebhoy
Bang Ice Geezer

Post by rudebhoy »

Did he have a middle class upbringing? Definitely not.

Is he middle class now? I guess you could make a case for that. Depends on your definition of middle class. It’s not a political thing for me, it’s more about your standard of living. Am sure Mick is financially comfortable and has plenty leisure time. That’s kinda my definition, would guess a fair number on here would fall into that category, me included!

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

rudebhoy wrote:
21 Mar 2019, 5:05am

Is he middle class now? I guess you could make a case for that. Depends on your definition of middle class. It’s not a political thing for me, it’s more about your standard of living. Am sure Mick is financially comfortable and has plenty leisure time. That’s kinda my definition, would guess a fair number on here would fall into that category, me included!
Not a straightforward question to answer i guess. I think through hard work, talent or both, or sometimes mere good fortune, we can all improve our station in life, but we don’t have to abandon the values that shaped us. That’d be my idea of mick but that’s all it is as I don’t really know him at all.

white man
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by white man »

It's not where your from, it's where your at - Antony Genn

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

rudebhoy wrote:

I doubt he has to work at all—that would put him in the upper class for me.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
21 Mar 2019, 1:06pm
rudebhoy wrote:

Based on the contemporary thread about Paul's divorce and assets, unless Mick has sieves his money away at the dog track, he can live comfortably off past earnings and future royalties. Of the three, Mick's gotta be better positioned based on his previous work.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Kory wrote:
21 Mar 2019, 1:06pm
rudebhoy wrote:

Based upon the other thread about Simmo's court case with his ex-wife - no - I'd seriously doubt Mick has to work ever again. Paul's future royalties were valued at 10 million pounds (13 million US).
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Certainly by any normal standards we are talking about a wealthy individual here, but that doesn’t automatically make him a member of the upper class. Not that it probably matters much anyway, but I think class distinction is a more nuanced thing than that. I certainly couldn’t look at Mick and ever think upper class anyway.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

There's cultural working class which our boy absolutely is, then the technical definition where someone who has to sell their labour to live, which he is not.

Mick's no capitalist, that's what matters. None of his vast wealth came from exploiting the workers.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Silent Majority wrote:
21 Mar 2019, 1:52pm
Mick's no capitalist, that's what matters. None of his vast wealth came from exploiting the workers.
I know capitalism doesn't work because I've been exploiting your labor for like five years now and I haven't made any money from it.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Flex wrote:
21 Mar 2019, 2:00pm
Silent Majority wrote:
I know capitalism doesn't work because I've been exploiting your labor for like five years now and I haven't made any money from it.
You can't make money exploiting the Irish, dummy.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

deny
Long Time Jerk

Post by deny »

Really couldn't give a fuck.
Does it matter that Joe & Shane both went to public school?
Does it matter that Jean Jacques Burnell is a classically trained guitarist?
Joining the Street Parade

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Silent Majority wrote:
21 Mar 2019, 2:01pm
Flex wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
You can't make money exploiting the Irish, dummy.
Just ask Alex Ferguson.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
You are the most incompetent person ever. - Every 19th century mill and factory owner
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft