Aapy Berfday GEER

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: Aapy Berfday

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
13 Nov 2018, 10:01pm
Flex wrote:
13 Nov 2018, 9:32pm
Flex wrote:
10 Nov 2018, 11:47am
EAT MAMMOTH MEAT AND LISTEN TO GEER IN A LOINCLOTH
GEERcha cowson!

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Re: Aapy Berfday GEER

Post by TeddyB Not Logged In »

Maybe the people from ‘Dog in a Satellite’ who are “rounding up the cattle, eating blutt (slang for minge, in this case a dirt cheap blood pudding from the “underside” of a cow) down in the levee” are listening to GEER.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Re: Aapy Berfday

Post by Wolter »

Flex wrote:
13 Nov 2018, 11:40pm
Heston wrote:
13 Nov 2018, 10:01pm
Flex wrote:
13 Nov 2018, 9:32pm
Flex wrote:
10 Nov 2018, 11:47am
EAT MAMMOTH MEAT AND LISTEN TO GEER IN A LOINCLOTH
Fuck yeah
Here for this.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

TeddyB Not Logged In wrote:
14 Nov 2018, 2:41am
Maybe the people from ‘Dog in a Satellite’ who are “rounding up the cattle, eating blutt (slang for minge, in this case a dirt cheap blood pudding from the “underside” of a cow) down in the levee” are listening to GEER.
:mrgreen:

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

IkarisOne
Unknown Immortal

Post by IkarisOne »

Marky Dread wrote:
13 Nov 2018, 5:48am
IkarisOne wrote:
12 Nov 2018, 3:49pm
GEER is perfect, from top to toe. Every single note.

The Clash made a lot of mistakes but the worst mistake they ever made was not hiring Sandy Pearlman as their producer and manager. That would have been the world-beating team of all time. Pearlman was a visionary, he just needed a band worthy of his genius. Instead, he took the failing Black Sabbath under his wing and put them back on top. Pearlman was a taskmaster but he was also a lot cooler than Bernie could even ever imagine being.

And Pearlman also produced "Gates of the West," which is the single best production job in the entire Clash catalog. As well as a strong candidate for the greatest power pop song ever recorded.
"Gates of the West" is a masterpiece in my opinion. But as good as The General was the mix is all down to Bill Price. The sound on the CoL ep is the best the band ever sounded to my ears however it does not sound much like GEER. I like GEER but I still feel it would've been much better with a Bill Price mix. The sound on the CoL ep may also be down to the fact of the use of acoustic guitars. But the ep has much better separation than what was achieved on GEER.

Did Sandy produce the finished version of GotW or just the backing track? First recorded in demo at Basing st. then further work at the Automat N.Y. Those high BVs by Dennis Feranti are great. I know it was completed and mixed by Bill at Wessex.

Absolutely agree on the Bill Price mix-- top of the top engineer. Pearlman claimed it as his production and there's no reason to doubt it, especially seeing how similar it is in approach to some of the Blue Oyster Cult stuff of that time. Pearlman loved all that Sixties big beat pop stuff that Mick cut his teeth on.

In a perfect world, BOC would have been that mediocre band the Clash guy used to work with. Bernie would have been that inspired fuckup who got the Clash rolling but couldn't close the deal.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

IkarisOne wrote:
14 Nov 2018, 10:48am
Marky Dread wrote:
13 Nov 2018, 5:48am
IkarisOne wrote:
12 Nov 2018, 3:49pm
GEER is perfect, from top to toe. Every single note.

The Clash made a lot of mistakes but the worst mistake they ever made was not hiring Sandy Pearlman as their producer and manager. That would have been the world-beating team of all time. Pearlman was a visionary, he just needed a band worthy of his genius. Instead, he took the failing Black Sabbath under his wing and put them back on top. Pearlman was a taskmaster but he was also a lot cooler than Bernie could even ever imagine being.

And Pearlman also produced "Gates of the West," which is the single best production job in the entire Clash catalog. As well as a strong candidate for the greatest power pop song ever recorded.
"Gates of the West" is a masterpiece in my opinion. But as good as The General was the mix is all down to Bill Price. The sound on the CoL ep is the best the band ever sounded to my ears however it does not sound much like GEER. I like GEER but I still feel it would've been much better with a Bill Price mix. The sound on the CoL ep may also be down to the fact of the use of acoustic guitars. But the ep has much better separation than what was achieved on GEER.

Did Sandy produce the finished version of GotW or just the backing track? First recorded in demo at Basing st. then further work at the Automat N.Y. Those high BVs by Dennis Feranti are great. I know it was completed and mixed by Bill at Wessex.

Absolutely agree on the Bill Price mix-- top of the top engineer. Pearlman claimed it as his production and there's no reason to doubt it, especially seeing how similar it is in approach to some of the Blue Oyster Cult stuff of that time. Pearlman loved all that Sixties big beat pop stuff that Mick cut his teeth on.

In a perfect world, BOC would have been that mediocre band the Clash guy used to work with. Bernie would have been that inspired fuckup who got the Clash rolling but couldn't close the deal.
I still smile to myself when I think about the great producers and engineers The Clash worked with Sandy and Bill and even Guy to much lesser extent. Then onto Glyn John's to trim Combat Rock. And then fucking Bernie for CtC....unbelievable!

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

deny wrote:
13 Nov 2018, 2:34pm
Kory wrote:
13 Nov 2018, 1:46pm
deny wrote:
10 Nov 2018, 6:38pm
The problem is that there are only 3 classic songs on it like Combat Rock
That's crazy on both counts. You're crazy.
How am I crazy? Please explain.
Nah you're right. Also, English Civil War is a great song, but sounds like shit on the record. All in all, it's a mixed bag. Some tracks sound phenomenal, while others have inherent flaws. I have zero complaints or criticisms with the COL sound though.

As I've stated here, the main issues I have with GEER are in songwriting, not mix/production.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

matedog wrote:
14 Nov 2018, 11:16am
deny wrote:
Kory wrote:
deny wrote:
Nah you're right. Also, English Civil War is a great song, but sounds like shit on the record. All in all, it's a mixed bag. Some tracks sound phenomenal, while others have inherent flaws. I have zero complaints or criticisms with the COL sound though.

As I've stated here, the main issues I have with GEER are in songwriting, not mix/production.
The only weak song lyrically for me is Cheapskates.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

It took me years to realize Joe says "blood in my mouth" at the end of of Guns on the Roof.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

deny
Long Time Jerk

Post by deny »

matedog wrote:
deny wrote:
Kory wrote:
deny wrote:

This
Joining the Street Parade

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

matedog wrote:
deny wrote:
Kory wrote:
deny wrote:

What is wrong with the sound on ECW? Sounds ok to me.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Heston wrote:
14 Nov 2018, 1:55pm
matedog wrote:
deny wrote:
Kory wrote:
deny wrote:

I love the dynamics of the guitar sound on ECW.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

matedog

Post by matedog »

Heston wrote:
matedog wrote:
deny wrote:
Kory wrote:
deny wrote:

Namely the double track Joe vocals. Double track vocals irritate the hell out of me in generally, but are particularly bad for Joe because he had such pitch problems. Also that riff Mick plays over Joe's intro vocal is kinda overkill. Tempo drags relative to live versions too, which is the case for most live Clash, but it really is to the song's detriment. A song like SEH never sounded as good as it did on GEER, ECW always sounded better live (except Terry tour).
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

matedog

Post by matedog »

Silent Majority wrote:
14 Nov 2018, 2:13pm
Heston wrote:
matedog wrote:
deny wrote:
Kory wrote:

I love the dynamics of the guitar sound on ECW.
:fuck:

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

matedog wrote:
deny wrote:
Kory wrote:
deny wrote:

Agreed. Some of the songwriting doesn't seem as sharp as it could be - but the mix/production is solid. Mick sounds like he's playing an entire factory of guitars on most of the tracks.

The first 3 tracks are epic - a total sonic assault and Joe sounds truly fired up. It's almost a relief when they get to Julie's Been Working... as it's a more laid back affair - but a fun listen.

There really isn't a song I don't like on the album.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble