The Passions or The Clashions?

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
IkarisOne
Unknown Immortal

The Passions or The Clashions?

Post by IkarisOne »

I've always loved this song. That's 101er Evil C Timperley on the Memory Man. And I can't say for sure but it very much looks like Snakehips Dudanski sitting in on the traps. This song is about Gogan's crush on Clash roadie Steve "Rat" Connelly, who did some acting work in Germany. Too bad Mick didn't hook up with Barbara Gogan instead of Flellen Floofley. He did apparently hook up with Clive's Memory Man though. It was love at first sight.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Re: The Passions or The Clashions?

Post by Heston »

Always liked that song and love the guitar sound.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

IkarisOne
Unknown Immortal

Post by IkarisOne »

Bonus factoid: Timperley was soon replaced by Memory Mannist Kevin Armstrong, later to go on to fame and fortune as Bowie's pet shoegazer. Here's another killer 1981 Memory Man demo reel with Armstrong also on vox.

IkarisOne
Unknown Immortal

Post by IkarisOne »

Heston wrote:
30 Oct 2018, 12:20pm
Yeah, brilliant stuff. Adds context for youngsters who complain about Mick's delay-orgies.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

IkarisOne wrote:
30 Oct 2018, 12:22pm
Heston wrote:
Yeah, brilliant stuff. Adds context for youngsters who complain about Mick's delay-orgies.
I preferred Mick's delay orgies over that phase-drenched sound he had in 79/80. It worked nicely with some of his clean guitar playing on LC, but once the distortion was added to the mix....
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

IkarisOne
Unknown Immortal

Post by IkarisOne »

Heston wrote:
30 Oct 2018, 12:25pm
IkarisOne wrote:
30 Oct 2018, 12:22pm
Heston wrote:
I preferred Mick's delay orgies over that phase-drenched sound he had in 79/80. It worked nicely with some of his clean guitar playing on LC, but once the distortion was added to the mix....
Agreed. Phase is for heavy blues. Same way envelope filter is for funk. Phase sounds very tasty with that dirty Twin Reverb sound but like trash for slamming out the power chords on your Marshalls.

Hammy
Dirty Punk

Post by Hammy »

I met 'Rodent' through the director Wolfgang Bud; they appeared to have been tight since Bud filmed the 'Munich footage'
Rodent was showing Wolgang shitty, old 70s snaps of the pair in Germany (?) back in the late 70s – they had the regulation black leather jackets of the time.
They were both really nice and Wolgang revealed he'd set out to film Deep Purple originally and it was all about getting permission...he touched on troubles with Bernie about getting access to the band, to film.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

IkarisOne wrote:
30 Oct 2018, 12:21pm
Bonus factoid: Timperley was soon replaced by Memory Mannist Kevin Armstrong, later to go on to fame and fortune as Bowie's pet shoegazer. Here's another killer 1981 Memory Man demo reel with Armstrong also on vox.

Didn't Armstrong also briefly play with Morrissey? I want to say very early on in his solo career?
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

IkarisOne
Unknown Immortal

Post by IkarisOne »

WestwayKid wrote:
31 Oct 2018, 10:07am
IkarisOne wrote:
30 Oct 2018, 12:21pm

Didn't Armstrong also briefly play with Morrissey? I want to say very early on in his solo career?
Indeed he did.

IkarisOne
Unknown Immortal

Post by IkarisOne »

Hammy wrote:
31 Oct 2018, 3:44am
I met 'Rodent' through the director Wolfgang Bud; they appeared to have been tight since Bud filmed the 'Munich footage'
Rodent was showing Wolgang shitty, old 70s snaps of the pair in Germany (?) back in the late 70s – they had the regulation black leather jackets of the time.
They were both really nice and Wolgang revealed he'd set out to film Deep Purple originally and it was all about getting permission...he touched on troubles with Bernie about getting access to the band, to film.
Rodent. That's it. I knew it was vermin-related... :mrgreen:

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Isn't it Roadent? I recall that spelling from LGIT.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

IkarisOne
Unknown Immortal

Post by IkarisOne »

Kory wrote:
31 Oct 2018, 12:59pm
I believe it is but don't have my copy handy.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

IkarisOne wrote:
31 Oct 2018, 1:35pm
Kory wrote:
31 Oct 2018, 12:59pm
I believe it is but don't have my copy handy.
I'm a roadie pedant.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

IkarisOne
Unknown Immortal

Post by IkarisOne »

Note the Local Hero track is essentially a tribute track to Mark Kermode's all-time favorite band. Is there any Kermode-Clash linkage?

IkarisOne
Unknown Immortal

Post by IkarisOne »

It turns out Mick was actually using the Roland Space Echo and then the Roland Chorus Echo. I should have remembered because I spent quite a bit of time staring at Mick's impressive effects setup back at the Cape Cod Coliseum.

Those little Roland goodies were not cheap. I saw Killing Joke the night before that show and all Geordie was using at the time was a Memory Man and a Big Muff.

https://youremyguitarhero.wordpress.com ... 1980-1983/