My neighbor brought The Clash to Bonds

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
coffeepotman
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

My neighbor brought The Clash to Bonds

Post by coffeepotman »

I just discovered that my neighbor for the past 30 years, Charlie Martin, was the promoter that brought The Clash to Bonds in times Square!

I live in a building right around the corner from where CBGBs was and just about everybody who worked at CB's lived in my building including Hilly. The sound guy for CB's was Charlie Martin who still lives here and I was having a chat with him at our local where we were talking about the old days when he brought up how he was the sound man at CB's and then went on to do promotion. One thing led to another and I found out he brought The Clash to Bonds. My jaw hit the floor and all I could do was thank him!

I looked it up, it's true, you never know! What a small world. Here is a link to an article about Charlie,

https://stereosociety.com/20/cmintmt.shtml

about halfway down after answer 7 is

" I came to New York with the idea of becoming a band manager and then I started helping stage-manage the club, and then getting more involved with the technology and suddenly somehow we discovered that I knew how to mix. And I started doing that in a serious way. Later on, I became a promoter and did some other things as you probably remember, the Clash at Bond’s [a large former disco at Times Square] and so forth. "

aza
Bang Ice Geezer

Re: My neighbor brought The Clash to Bonds

Post by aza »

so cool. thank him on all of our behalf.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

coffeepotman wrote:
24 Oct 2018, 10:20am
I just discovered that my neighbor for the past 30 years, Charlie Martin, was the promoter that brought The Clash to Bonds in times Square!

I live in a building right around the corner from where CBGBs was and just about everybody who worked at CB's lived in my building including Hilly. The sound guy for CB's was Charlie Martin who still lives here and I was having a chat with him at our local where we were talking about the old days when he brought up how he was the sound man at CB's and then went on to do promotion. One thing led to another and I found out he brought The Clash to Bonds. My jaw hit the floor and all I could do was thank him!

I looked it up, it's true, you never know! What a small world. Here is a link to an article about Charlie,

" I came to New York with the idea of becoming a band manager and then I started helping stage-manage the club, and then getting more involved with the technology and suddenly somehow we discovered that I knew how to mix. And I started doing that in a serious way. Later on, I became a promoter and did some other things as you probably remember, the Clash at Bond’s [a large former disco at Times Square] and so forth. "
Which pub I think I need to visit?

coffeepotman
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by coffeepotman »

It's a Russian place called Anyway cafe, tucked away near the corner of 2nd street and 2nd ave. Love that place, they have music every night, my wife dances there occasionally as a belly dancer. They specialize in Russian Vodka infused drinks but have a selection of eastern European beers and good food

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

coffeepotman wrote:
24 Oct 2018, 6:26pm
It's a Russian place called Anyway cafe, tucked away near the corner of 2nd street and 2nd ave. Love that place, they have music every night, my wife dances there occasionally as a belly dancer. They specialize in Russian Vodka infused drinks but have a selection of eastern European beers and good food
Last time I drank Vodka in a Russianbar was near Borough market in south London. When the jazz band took a break for some reason I thought I could play drums and went for a solo performance. Fair to say feet didn’t touch the floor and didn’t collect jacket.

lanini66
Dirty Punk

Post by lanini66 »

Ask him if he got soundboards...

coffeepotman
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by coffeepotman »

101Walterton wrote:
24 Oct 2018, 7:01pm
coffeepotman wrote:
Last time I drank Vodka in a Russianbar was near Borough market in south London. When the jazz band took a break for some reason I thought I could play drums and went for a solo performance. Fair to say feet didn’t touch the floor and didn’t collect jacket.
Ha! great story!. that Vodka makes you do crazy things

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:
24 Oct 2018, 7:01pm
coffeepotman wrote:
You plonker! :mrgreen:

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

coffeepotman wrote:
24 Oct 2018, 10:20am

Great stuff.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia