Mag 7 live video '81

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Mag 7 live video '81

Post by Heston »

Did we ever establish where this video was from? It's strange as they seem to be wearing the same clothes as they had on at the Jaap Edenhall Amsterdam gig but the audio doesn't match. It's a shame that this is all that has emerged from the gig.

Pics here... http://cluster1.website-staging.uk/blac ... ash.co.uk/

There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Heston

Re: Mag 7 live video '81

Post by Heston »

This is a photo from BMC of the Amsterdam gig, note same clothes, necklace and red tape on the mic. Yet the audio in the video doesn't match the bootleg. Weird.

There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

aza
Bang Ice Geezer

Post by aza »

way too close to not be the right audio (imo), my hunch is that its a frame rate thing- perhaps if the audio was slowed infinitesimally it would fit.
fantastic video..

Heston

Post by Heston »

aza wrote:
15 Oct 2018, 7:31pm
way too close to not be the right audio (imo), my hunch is that its a frame rate thing- perhaps if the audio was slowed infinitesimally it would fit.
fantastic video..
No, you can spot the difference in the first chorus as Mick doesn't sing the "don't stop!" at the end. Also no Joe ramble at the start.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
15 Oct 2018, 7:02pm
Did we ever establish where this video was from? It's strange as they seem to be wearing the same clothes as they had on at the Jaap Edenhall Amsterdam gig but the audio doesn't match. It's a shame that this is all that has emerged from the gig.

Firstly good detective work Heston.

This is indeed another take to what we have. Now I'm wondering (conspiracy theory time) if they either played it as an encore or purposely for the camera as a news clip. The camera footage is too good and too up close and personal to be from someone in the crowd. I'm wondering if this is Don footage it clearly feels as if it's filmed by someone in the pit and looking up at the band. The single was released on April 10th here in the U.K. but had a separate release and mix for release in Europe I wonder if this was filmed for it's promotion as a re-release maybe for a tv music sho spot or news feed. All this time I assumed it was the same take.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Marky Dread wrote:
15 Oct 2018, 8:35pm
Heston wrote:

This is indeed another take to what we have. Now I'm wondering (conspiracy theory time) if they either played it as an encore or purposely for the camera as a news clip. The camera footage is too good and too up close and personal to be from someone in the crowd. I'm wondering if this is Don footage it clearly feels as if it's filmed by someone in the pit and looking up at the band. The single was released on April 10th here in the U.K. but had a separate release and mix for release in Europe I wonder if this was filmed for it's promotion as a re-release maybe for a tv music sho spot or news feed. All this time I assumed it was the same take.
Addendum : further watching of the clip at the end reveals the footage is from a tv show which appears to be called Generation 80 with the emale presenter sat next to the Mael brothers from Sparks.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Just in case anyone would like this track to put with the remaster. Here it is remixed etc.

https://mega.nz/#!X1VWQa7L!-ouxKYUUvQtJ ... CTnAd_nj8w

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:

We talked about this awhile ago. The decision at the time was that it was a live take for promotional purposes. Could very well have been for news as you suggested. This lone angle is the only clip to surface so that might support that theory. I was thinking perhaps it was filmed before the show. Bruce did that with his Phoenix 78 clips where half were actually live, half were rehearsals, but Joe is a bit too fired up for just a rehearsal.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Heston

Post by Heston »

matedog wrote:
15 Oct 2018, 10:41pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:

We talked about this awhile ago. The decision at the time was that it was a live take for promotional purposes. Could very well have been for news as you suggested. This lone angle is the only clip to surface so that might support that theory. I was thinking perhaps it was filmed before the show. Bruce did that with his Phoenix 78 clips where half were actually live, half were rehearsals, but Joe is a bit too fired up for just a rehearsal.
How long ago did we discuss it because I can't remember that at all? Was it pre-crash as I'd like to dig the thread out.

Heston

Post by Heston »

Here's a clip of Sparks from the same episode, definitely a Beligian show as they show a Brussels address during the clip. Maybe Mag 7 is from Brussels which was the night after Amsterdam. Weird that they'd wear the same clothes if that was the case...

Edit: But that wouldn't explain the red tape on the mic. Oh well, must be an alternate take from Amsterdam.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Heston wrote:
16 Oct 2018, 4:04am
Here's a clip of Sparks from the same episode, definitely a Beligian show as they show a Brussels address during the clip. Maybe Mag 7 is from Brussels which was the night after Amsterdam. Weird that they'd wear the same clothes if that was the case...

Edit: But that wouldn't explain the red tape on the mic. Oh well, must be an alternate take from Amsterdam.

The discussion was post crash. I'm having a hard time finding it because "magnificent" and "video" are turning up way too many results.

I think we'd need to determine if that show had other live performances similar to the Mag 7 one. Did they send a crew to cover a song or two for their show?
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:

My view is that it's from Amsterdam not Brussles although the TV clip may well have been for a Belgian TV broadcast.

If you look at all the pictures people have taken of the Jaap Edenhal gig and compare it to the footage you can clearly see it's the same venue.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Marky Dread wrote:
16 Oct 2018, 11:12am
Heston wrote:

My view is that it's from Amsterdam not Brussles although the TV clip may well have been for a Belgian TV broadcast.

If you look at all the pictures people have taken of the Jaap Edenhal gig and compare it to the footage you can clearly see it's the same venue.
It ain’t far from a Brussels to Amsterdam so perhaps they used the Amsterdam gig footage for Belgium TV.