A Line Has Been Drawn

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Carpentologist
Dirty Punk

A Line Has Been Drawn

Post by Carpentologist »

With the release of Joe Strummer 001 it seems a line has been drawn and that The Clash catalogue officially ends with Combat Rock!
The Stalinist revision of history continues and you know what? I don’t mind...
Warner/Chappell owning the publishing rights to CTC material means they’re treating it as Joe Strummer solo material and makes it seem more likely that we may see more of it released in better condition than ever before, which is huge!

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Re: A Line Has Been Drawn

Post by Heston »

Carpentologist wrote:
27 Sep 2018, 9:03pm
With the release of Joe Strummer 001 it seems a line has been drawn and that The Clash catalogue officially ends with Combat Rock!
Warner/Chappell owning the publishing rights to CTC material means they’re treating it as Joe Strummer solo material and makes it seem more likely that we may see more of it released in better condition than ever before, which is huge!
Can they wrest the multitracks from Bernie? That is the million dollar question.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

I drew that line 33 years ago :mrgreen:
I’m all good with this.

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

Heston wrote:
27 Sep 2018, 9:14pm
Carpentologist wrote:
Can they wrest the multitracks from Bernie? That is the million dollar question.
A *SQUONK* synth is still a *SQUONK* synth, no matter how much cleaned up it is in the mix. Multitracks are only as good as what get vomited onto each source track...so when each captured sound is pure 100% vomit there's literally no remix on earth that can turn Fingerpoppin' into non-abomination.

Heston

Post by Heston »

Rat Patrol wrote:
27 Sep 2018, 9:21pm
Heston wrote:
27 Sep 2018, 9:14pm
Carpentologist wrote:
A *SQUONK* synth is still a *SQUONK* synth, no matter how much cleaned up it is in the mix. Multitracks are only as good as what get vomited onto each source track...so when each captured sound is pure 100% vomit there's literally no remix on earth that can turn Fingerpoppin' into non-abomination.
Just a good balance of vocals and instruments would improve CtC tenfold. Then you consider the removal of the bootboy choir. There may be real backing vocals on the multitracks.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

When you listen to what they have done with Ride Your Donkey on 001 believe me anything is possible.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

The idea of a listenable CTC is this board's Prester John quest. No way, no how.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

101Walterton wrote:
27 Sep 2018, 9:30pm
When you listen to what they have done with Ride Your Donkey on 001 believe me anything is possible.
There would have to be a hook buried at subsonic frequencies that only benthic-diving whales can hear in the mix for Play To Win in order for "anything" to be possible.

...and while we're on that subject, I include "Kosmo's star turn as a rap soloist six years Dee Dee King's prior" amongst the anythings that could possibly be buried in that mix claiming culpability for the mass whale die-offs that seem to coincide with every EET Week. :naughty:

sonnyburnit
Junco Partner

Post by sonnyburnit »

I (sorta) understand that some may feel there is unfinished business & a possible chance of redemption in regards to CTC but I’m definitely not one of them. Unless there is a Mick’s shed level discovery of full band versions of all the album tracks I could care less. I listened to that album once in ‘88 & chucked it, it ain’t worth a shit and probably should be tossed from the official Clash canon & filed under Bernie Rhodes in the 50 cent bin.

Heston

Post by Heston »

sonnyburnit wrote:
27 Sep 2018, 9:58pm
I (sorta) understand that some may feel there is unfinished business & a possible chance of redemption in regards to CTC but I’m definitely not one of them. Unless there is a Mick’s shed level discovery of full band versions of all the album tracks I could care less. I listened to that album once in ‘88 & chucked it, it ain’t worth a shit and probably should be tossed from the official Clash canon & filed under Bernie Rhodes in the 50 cent bin.
See, you listened to it once 30 years ago. You never let it percolate into your soul.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Heston wrote:
27 Sep 2018, 10:01pm
sonnyburnit wrote:
See, you listened to it once 30 years ago. You never let it percolate into your soul.
Yes he is one of the lucky ones.

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Heston wrote:
27 Sep 2018, 10:01pm
sonnyburnit wrote:
Hello,

There are tracks that percolate in my bowels.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

i can't speak to the possibility of tHe MuLtItRaCkS surfacing, but teologically I'm fine with CtC era Clash gravitating towards the Joe solo archives. It fits well enough and loses a lot of the political baggage that comes with arguing whether In the Pouring Rain is a Real Clash song or whatever.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Flex wrote:
28 Sep 2018, 12:35am
i can't speak to the possibility of tHe MuLtItRaCkS surfacing, but teologically I'm fine with CtC era Clash gravitating towards the Joe solo archives. It fits well enough and loses a lot of the political baggage that comes with arguing whether In the Pouring Rain is a Real Clash song or whatever.
Word.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Wolter wrote:
28 Sep 2018, 12:44am
Flex wrote:
28 Sep 2018, 12:35am
Word.
101Wolex