A Line Has Been Drawn

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Hammy
Dirty Punk

Re: A Line Has Been Drawn

Post by Hammy »

Give Mick the CTC material – have him do whatever he likes with it: Remix, Re-record...whatever
(I know...i'm a genius)

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Flex wrote:
28 Sep 2018, 12:35am
i can't speak to the possibility of tHe MuLtItRaCkS surfacing, but teologically I'm fine with CtC era Clash gravitating towards the Joe solo archives. It fits well enough and loses a lot of the political baggage that comes with arguing whether In the Pouring Rain is a Real Clash song or whatever.
BEYOND THE PALE IS A CLASH SONG.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Heston wrote:
27 Sep 2018, 9:26pm
Rat Patrol wrote:
27 Sep 2018, 9:21pm
Heston wrote:
27 Sep 2018, 9:14pm
Carpentologist wrote:
27 Sep 2018, 9:03pm
With the release of Joe Strummer 001 it seems a line has been drawn and that The Clash catalogue officially ends with Combat Rock!
The Stalinist revision of history continues and you know what? I don’t mind...
Warner/Chappell owning the publishing rights to CTC material means they’re treating it as Joe Strummer solo material and makes it seem more likely that we may see more of it released in better condition than ever before, which is huge!
Can they wrest the multitracks from Bernie? That is the million dollar question.
A *SQUONK* synth is still a *SQUONK* synth, no matter how much cleaned up it is in the mix. Multitracks are only as good as what get vomited onto each source track...so when each captured sound is pure 100% vomit there's literally no remix on earth that can turn Fingerpoppin' into non-abomination.
Just a good balance of vocals and instruments would improve CtC tenfold. Then you consider the removal of the bootboy choir. There may be real backing vocals on the multitracks.
I tend to lean towards CtC being a lost cause. I'd rather have it re-imagined. If they could get Joe's vocals (and possibly even the period correct backing vocals) and then have Paul, Nick, and Pete record proper music over the vocals - maybe using the Lucky 8 demos as a guide. Heck, they could even invite Vince if they wanted to. I just don't see how salvage the existing material into anything I want to listen to.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Hammy wrote:
28 Sep 2018, 4:16am
Give Mick the CTC material – have him do whatever he likes with it: Remix, Re-record...whatever
(I know...i'm a genius)
Mick won't touch it out of respect for Joe. Same as with the Rat Patrol tracks...and even more so because he wasn't involved with CtC.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Hammy
Dirty Punk

Post by Hammy »

I just wanna hear Three Card Trick with some Mick vocal
...please God?!

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Carpentologist wrote:
With the release of Joe Strummer 001 it seems a line has been drawn and that The Clash catalogue officially ends with Combat Rock!
Warner/Chappell owning the publishing rights to CTC material means they’re treating it as Joe Strummer solo material and makes it seem more likely that we may see more of it released in better condition than ever before, which is huge!
I mean, Westway to the World ended with the US Festival. Most bios cover 83-85 as kind of an illegitimate afterthought. Essential was the exception.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Jimmy Jazz
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Jimmy Jazz »

WestwayKid wrote:
28 Sep 2018, 10:42am
Heston wrote:
Rat Patrol wrote:
Heston wrote:
Carpentologist wrote:
Can they wrest the multitracks from Bernie? That is the million dollar question.
A *SQUONK* synth is still a *SQUONK* synth, no matter how much cleaned up it is in the mix. Multitracks are only as good as what get vomited onto each source track...so when each captured sound is pure 100% vomit there's literally no remix on earth that can turn Fingerpoppin' into non-abomination.
Just a good balance of vocals and instruments would improve CtC tenfold. Then you consider the removal of the bootboy choir. There may be real backing vocals on the multitracks.
I tend to lean towards CtC being a lost cause. I'd rather have it re-imagined. If they could get Joe's vocals (and possibly even the period correct backing vocals) and then have Paul, Nick, and Pete record proper music over the vocals - maybe using the Lucky 8 demos as a guide. Heck, they could even invite Vince if they wanted to. I just don't see how salvage the existing material into anything I want to listen to.
I assumed whenever someone clamors for the multitracks, they mainly mean Joe's vocal tracks. Then I'm sure some musicians on this board could even do a decent job reconstructing the songs the way they were played live.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Jimmy Jazz wrote:
28 Sep 2018, 1:06pm
WestwayKid wrote:
Heston wrote:
Rat Patrol wrote:
Heston wrote:

I assumed whenever someone clamors for the multitracks, they mainly mean Joe's vocal tracks. Then I'm sure some musicians on this board could even do a decent job reconstructing the songs the way they were played live.
Yes, that exactly what I mean when I say multitracks. The rest of it is a trainwreck really, even the guitars. Some bass might be worth keeping if you could actually hear it.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
28 Sep 2018, 11:40am
Carpentologist wrote:
I mean, Westway to the World ended with the US Festival. Most bios cover 83-85 as kind of an illegitimate afterthought. Essential was the exception.
It is kinda funny/awful the degree of history control with regards to the band. After Mick's ouster, Bernie and Joe engaged in their own Stalinist reinvention to minimize and ostracize Mick, while, as you say, most bios of the band since treat the band as properly ending when Mick got the boot. Why no one can just fucking face up to the fact that when Keith left, there was no Clash—it's such bullshit. #nokeithnoclash
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
28 Sep 2018, 1:15pm
Jimmy Jazz wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Heston wrote:
Rat Patrol wrote:

Yes, that exactly what I mean when I say multitracks. The rest of it is a trainwreck really, even the guitars. Some bass might be worth keeping if you could actually hear it.
Noting that the 7'' of This Is England from the box set is credited to Strummer/Rhodes and released via Oddball (Bernie's label) I imagine they needed Bernie's permission to release it. I wonder if there is more stuff other than what was found in Joe's garden shed archive.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
Jimmy Jazz wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Heston wrote:
Rat Patrol wrote:

I would still like Pete, Nick and Vince to rework the music for CtC with Joe's vocals especially Pete who is a fine drummer and was all but written out of the album with drum machines..Having Mick involved in production would be a nice touch. But Mick doesn't belong on those tracks. I hope we get to more demos in the quality of those included with the 001box set then we can remains the album ourselves. It's so wrong to write it out of the Clash history books. Like it or loathe it it still exists and always will do.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Marky Dread wrote:
06 Oct 2018, 10:44pm
Heston wrote:
Jimmy Jazz wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Heston wrote:

I would still like Pete, Nick and Vince to rework the music for CtC with Joe's vocals especially Pete who is a fine drummer and was all but written out of the album with drum machines..Having Mick involved in production would be a nice touch. But Mick doesn't belong on those tracks. I hope we get to hear more demos in the quality of those included with the 001box set then we can remains the album ourselves. It's so wrong to write it out of the Clash history books. Like it or loathe it it still exists and always will do.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Marky Dread wrote:
06 Oct 2018, 10:45pm
Marky Dread wrote:
06 Oct 2018, 10:44pm
Heston wrote:
Jimmy Jazz wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:

I would still like Pete, Nick and Vince to rework the music for CtC with Joe's vocals especially Pete who is a fine drummer and was all but written out of the album with drum machines..Having Mick involved in production would be a nice touch. But Mick doesn't belong on those tracks. I hope we get to hear more demos in the quality of those included with the 001box set then we can reimagine the album ourselves. It's so wrong to write it out of the Clash history books. Like it or loathe it it still exists and always will do.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia