Cover of Hitsville UK

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Re: Cover of Hitsville UK

Post by Olaf »

101Walterton wrote:
22 Aug 2018, 4:19pm
Heston wrote:
22 Aug 2018, 4:05pm
deny wrote:
22 Aug 2018, 4:03pm
Heston wrote:
22 Aug 2018, 3:15pm
It brings out what a great melody and lyric it is. I will never understand the disdain that song gets.
Ellen Foley perhaps?
Down goes Heston on Ellen Foley.
Next thing he knows, they're recording a song together.
Who pfaffed the pfaff? Who got pfaffed tonight?

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Olaf wrote:
23 Aug 2018, 4:42pm
101Walterton wrote:
Heston wrote:
deny wrote:
Heston wrote:
It brings out what a great melody and lyric it is. I will never understand the disdain that song gets.
Ellen Foley perhaps?
Two out of two ain't bad.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Heston wrote:
23 Aug 2018, 5:08pm
Olaf wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Heston wrote:
deny wrote:

Ellen Foley perhaps?
Not as good as Kate’s bush

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

Heston wrote:
23 Aug 2018, 5:08pm
Olaf wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Heston wrote:
deny wrote:

Ellen Foley perhaps?
More than you deserve. ;)
Who pfaffed the pfaff? Who got pfaffed tonight?

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
If it had been mixed differently and was a Mick/Joe vocal all of you would be saying how great it is. The melody is excellent and the lyric is really great in celebrating all the indie labels that were bringing in new sounds from all over.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Do you think people would still hate Hitsville as much if they didn't know it was the Clash?
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Marky Dread wrote:
30 Aug 2018, 9:24pm
Heston wrote:
If it had been mixed differently and was a Mick/Joe vocal all of you would be saying how great it is. The melody is excellent and the lyric is really great in celebrating all the indie labels that were bringing in new sounds from all over.
The backing music is great too, if a bit static/monotone. The vocal delivery is pretty awful from both Mick and Ellen. They sound half asleep.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

matedog wrote:
31 Aug 2018, 10:32am
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:
The backing music is great too, if a bit static/monotone. The vocal delivery is pretty awful from both Mick and Ellen. They sound half asleep.
I agree the vocals are bad. It was a bad choice to use Ellen and Mick for what should've been a really great song. Maybe Ellen and Mick being loved up at the time did not help matters. If it had been a Joe/Mick vocal then we would've got the best out of Mick on the harmony part and a gruffer lead vocal from Joe and I sincerely think it would've made a killer single.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Marky Dread wrote:
31 Aug 2018, 10:37am
matedog wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:
I agree the vocals are bad. It was a bad choice to use Ellen and Mick for what should've been a really great song. Maybe Ellen and Mick being loved up at the time did not help matters. If it had been a Joe/Mick vocal then we would've got the best out of Mick on the harmony part and a gruffer lead vocal from Joe and I sincerely think it would've made a killer single.
I think the Mick/Ellen duet worked great on Torchlight. Both are way more spirited.

Listening to Hitsville right now, there are at least two Ellen vocals + Mick's low harmony. I think it is too muddled. I think the idea was an hommage to vocal groups, so it makes sense, but the execution is off. I think especially because Ellen's harmonies with herself are so tight, yet Mick seems so separate. I think if they had only done one Ellen vocal + Mick, Mick's vocal wouldn't seem so out of place. Also the goddamn marimba is doubling up the melody the whole god damn song. They could have used more time on this one.

Oh sweet Junco Parter is a dream after that.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

JohnS
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by JohnS »

I am still mystified as to what the story is behind this being issued as a single.
Never played live. Never! (?)
No promotion for it at all from CBS, eg a video.
A throwaway track as a b-side.
The band must have had the right to veto it, surely, but didn’t.
Why? Just.... WHY?
It keeps me awake at night!
Ignore Alien Hors d'oeuvres

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

matedog wrote:
31 Aug 2018, 11:32am
Marky Dread wrote:
31 Aug 2018, 10:37am
matedog wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:
I think the Mick/Ellen duet worked great on Torchlight. Both are way more spirited.

Listening to Hitsville right now, there are at least two Ellen vocals + Mick's low harmony. I think it is too muddled. I think the idea was an hommage to vocal groups, so it makes sense, but the execution is off. I think especially because Ellen's harmonies with herself are so tight, yet Mick seems so separate. I think if they had only done one Ellen vocal + Mick, Mick's vocal wouldn't seem so out of place. Also the goddamn marimba is doubling up the melody the whole god damn song. They could have used more time on this one.

Oh sweet Junco Parter is a dream after that.
Singing along with this on my walk home from work, really wanna bash out a one take thoughtless cover on the acoustic now.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

shitsvile.mp3
(3.21 MiB) Downloaded 127 times
You'll never believe I've never played this song before!*

*Yes, you will.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

matedog wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:
It is in too low a key for Mick. It has obviously been arranged to suit Ellen's vocal and Mick just sounds tacked on after the event.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
31 Aug 2018, 1:09pm
matedog wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:
It is in too low a key for Mick. It has obviously been arranged to suit Ellen's vocal and Mick just sounds tacked on after the event.
Yep that's it. On torchlight which is a more delicate song it works well. But Hitsville should've been an all out Motown stomper. The idea of Motown meets indie is a good one.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Marky Dread wrote:
31 Aug 2018, 2:42pm
Heston wrote:
31 Aug 2018, 1:09pm
matedog wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:
Yep that's it. On torchlight which is a more delicate song it works well. But Hitsville should've been an all out Motown stomper. The idea of Motown meets indie is a good one.
Hello,

It would have been interesting to hear Joe's grating (but great) and emotional vocals juxtaposed (don't use that word often!) with the slickness of the track/production. It could have been ...