Clash single choices

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Re: Clash single choices

Post by Low Down Low »

For flat out there weirdness, I doubt O Superman can be licked, but then the British charts did always reserve a place for the truly offbeat. A lot of it was six shades of shit to be fair, but there were some good ones too. Telephone Man by Meri Wilson, Toast (cant recall name of band but it was Paul Youngs debut single I think), Driver 67 by Car 67 (or was it other way round?). Also quite liked those Stars on 45 records that did the Beatles and other top bands. I always loved the sheer strangeness of Sparks too, a band that looked and sounded like no other band I'd seen. Seemed to disappear into a black hole for the whole of the 80s for some reason, which seems kind of weird in itself.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Low Down Low wrote:
22 Aug 2018, 11:37am
For flat out there weirdness, I doubt O Superman can be licked, but then the British charts did always reserve a place for the truly offbeat. A lot of it was six shades of shit to be fair, but there were some good ones too. Telephone Man by Meri Wilson, Toast (cant recall name of band but it was Paul Youngs debut single I think), Driver 67 by Car 67 (or was it other way round?). Also quite liked those Stars on 45 records that did the Beatles and other top bands. I always loved the sheer strangeness of Sparks too, a band that looked and sounded like no other band I'd seen. Seemed to disappear into a black hole for the whole of the 80s for some reason, which seems kind of weird in itself.
Don't forget these cool dudes:

"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Kory wrote:
22 Aug 2018, 12:21pm
Low Down Low wrote:

Didnt think I knew that until it got to the chorus and became familiar. Kind of lost touch a bit with chart music after 85 ish, for what reason i cant quite recall.

Here's a bit of a weird one from earlier that I really liked.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Low Down Low wrote:
22 Aug 2018, 1:02pm
Kory wrote:
22 Aug 2018, 12:21pm
Low Down Low wrote:

Didnt think I knew that until it got to the chorus and became familiar. Kind of lost touch a bit with chart music after 85 ish, for what reason i cant quite recall.

Here's a bit of a weird one from earlier that I really liked.

Cripes they were so weird.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Their interpretation of "Sex Machine" is one of my favourite covers of all time. Just a total evisceration of funk fuck music, stripped down to a factory assembly line.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Aug 2018, 2:36pm
Their interpretation of "Sex Machine" is one of my favourite covers of all time. Just a total evisceration of funk fuck music, stripped down to a factory assembly line.
It's great. And the best thing is that video probably cost 20 quid to make and it still looks fantastic.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Low Down Low wrote:
St Winifred’s School Choir, Jonesy off Dad’s Army, Shutupyaface, Terry off Minder, Mike Read’ Ugly Duckling and every soap star from UK and Australia, Duran Duran. The list is endless.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

101Walterton wrote:
22 Aug 2018, 2:59pm
Low Down Low wrote:
St Winifred’s School Choir, Jonesy off Dad’s Army, Shutupyaface, Terry off Minder, Mike Read’ Ugly Duckling and every soap star from UK and Australia, Duran Duran. The list is endless.
Those were the days, such variety in the charts. I've just listened to Pick of the Pops from Aug 78 and the Smurfs were nestled next to Bob Dylan and Sham 69.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

101Walterton wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Ha....i see what you did there. I think there was a place for the novelty hits too, but i was trying to consciously distinguish it from the stuff that was truly weird and avant garde, like the Flying Lizards.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Low Down Low wrote:
22 Aug 2018, 3:22pm
101Walterton wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Ha....i see what you did there. I think there was a place for the novelty hits too, but i was trying to consciously distinguish it from the stuff that was truly weird and avant garde, like the Flying Lizards.
Yes I got that I just wanted to disguise Heston’s kidney punch (seems to have worked he must be on the sauce early :shifty: ).

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

101Walterton wrote:
22 Aug 2018, 3:36pm
Low Down Low wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Yes I got that I just wanted to disguise Heston’s kidney punch (seems to have worked he must be on the sauce early :shifty: ).
Go back and check your poll results again.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

101Walterton wrote:
22 Aug 2018, 3:36pm
Low Down Low wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Ah...gotcha :cool:

Toppers Boppers
Long Time Jerk

Post by Toppers Boppers »

Ah, the madness of Clash single choices, just gotta love them (and CBS) for that. Thing is, they liked the big titles (aka slogans) released as singles, like 'English Civil War', 'The Call Up', 'Know Your Rights'. Even if, it seems to me, it wasn't necessarily the best track on the album to be a single.

Even Obie wouldn't have pushed for 3 singles from the first two albums, it would have dented their punk credentials and damaged their career/sales at a time when these things really mattered. By 1982 things had relaxed, releasing 3 singles from Combat Rock shows how The Clash had become an established international act with a need for mainstream sales.

For the 1st album - I never disliked Remote Control, maybe not the greatest single (but they got the immense Complete Control out of it). Far better contenders would have been Career Opportunities, Janie Jones, London's Burning or Garageland. Spoilt for choice really.

As for GEER, Safe European Home is an obvious choice over English Civil War IMHO.

London Calling - Clampdown would have been great choice, Train In Vain could have worked in the UK with a push. The best for me is Rudie Can't Fail (with the dub B-side - imagine!) but it would have been at the height of 2-Tone and that might have been a double-edged sword, and they were already recording dub reggae (Bankrobber in February 1980) and had quickly moved on to touring the US and recording 36 musical styles with Sandinista!

Sandinista! - OMG, where to look. Police On My Back is a cover too far by then (for UK anyway), Somebody Got Murdered maybe. Otherwise the only stella single choice was Mag 7. Not much else cuts it for a single release for me.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
20 Aug 2018, 7:53pm
Following on from the other thread, if you were a corporate whore in charge of CBS and choosing the singles, which 3 would you go for from each album for maximum commercial impact? I need to mentally undo the crazy decisions like releasing English Civil war as a single, rather than Safe European Home.

White Riot
What's My Name
Janie Jones

Tommy Gun
Safe European Home
Stay Free

London Calling
Rudie Can't Fail
Train In Vain

Somebody Got Murdered
Police On My Back
Mag 7

SISOSIG
Rock the Casbah
Straight To Hell (shoulda been a stand-alone release)

Are You Red...y
Three Card Trick
This Is England
Hard to disagree with most of your choices. However I don't think Safe European Home would've made such a great single. It's a cracking song and a great album opener but I just don't hear it as a single. My choices from GEER would've been Tommy Gun, English Civil War and third choice should've been their cover of Pressure Drop.

Stay Free was really unlikely to get much radio play unless edited. "We're only having fun, We piss on everyone, In the classroom" "Go on a nicking spree, Hit the wrong guy, each of you get 3 years in Brixton" "When you lot get out, Were gonna hit the town, We'll burn it fuckin' down, To a cinder". Can't see the band wanting to edit it all out for radio play. Don't think it would've done their punk street cred any good at the time.

And I'm sure it won't be popular but a remixed edit of The Crooked Beat would've made a great single as reggae was always a big seller just look at UB40. It's quirky enough to have been a hit in 1980. But I doubt they would've wanted to follow up Bankrobber with another reggae tune.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Marky Dread wrote:
30 Aug 2018, 9:08pm
Heston wrote:
20 Aug 2018, 7:53pm
Following on from the other thread, if you were a corporate whore in charge of CBS and choosing the singles, which 3 would you go for from each album for maximum commercial impact? I need to mentally undo the crazy decisions like releasing English Civil war as a single, rather than Safe European Home.

White Riot
What's My Name
Janie Jones

Tommy Gun
Safe European Home
Stay Free

London Calling
Rudie Can't Fail
Train In Vain

Somebody Got Murdered
Police On My Back
Mag 7

SISOSIG
Rock the Casbah
Straight To Hell (shoulda been a stand-alone release)

Are You Red...y
Three Card Trick
This Is England
Hard to disagree with most of your choices. However I don't think Safe European Home would've made such a great single. It's a cracking song and a great album opener but I just don't hear it as a single. My choices from GEER would've been Tommy Gun, English Civil War and third choice should've been their cover of Pressure Drop.

Stay Free was really unlikely to get much radio play unless edited. "We're only having fun, We piss on everyone, In the classroom" "Go on a nicking spree, Hit the wrong guy, each of you get 3 years in Brixton" "When you lot get out, Were gonna hit the town, We'll burn it fuckin' down, To a cinder". Can't see the band wanting to edit it all out for radio play. Don't think it would've done their punk street cred any good at the time.

And I'm sure it won't be popular but a remixed edit of The Crooked Beat would've made a great single as reggae was always a big seller just look at UB40. It's quirky enough to have been a hit in 1980. But I doubt they would've wanted to follow up Bankrobber with another reggae tune.
Isn’t that the reason Rude wasn’t a single as they didn’t want to be seen to be jumping on the ska / 2 Tone bandwagon?