BBC Clash Project

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Kory
Unknown Immortal

Re: BBC Clash Project

Post by Kory »

Hammy wrote:
20 Aug 2018, 12:57pm
...I DON'T GIVE A FUCK.
Then stop posting.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Kory wrote:
20 Aug 2018, 1:07pm
Then stop posting.
good advice for all of us, probably
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Hammy wrote:
20 Aug 2018, 12:57pm
Yeah well – I'm Scottish (but consider myself British)...so get it up ya!
Yup, least Lay Down Low's keeping it real – to some respect.
If it's 'no small beans' – why are we bothering with punk rock gigs from 77 etc?
The whole Don Letts 6 Music side of things...is just a sign of the band's appropriation in later years.
As far as being tipped off by my big brother – glad your doing your homework
...I DON'T GIVE A FUCK.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Theory: Hammy is nsc.
Supporting evidence: Scottish, belligerent asshole.
Conclusion: Pending.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Aug 2018, 1:33pm
How’s the racism quotient?
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:
20 Aug 2018, 1:37pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Aug 2018, 1:33pm
How’s the racism quotient?
Absent, as far as I know, but there's strong homophobia in its place. Perhaps an evolution in whatever brain rot disease he's suffering from?
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

I don’t think anyone is denying that The Clash were given the cold shoulder by Radio 1 (BBC) for a long time. No doubt their TOTP stance didn’t help.
Things changed with RTC and SISOSIG both of which got airplay that summer.
Coincidence Combat Rock was their most successful album commercially? No the two go hand in hand.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Still a bit surprised RtC didn't have a better run in the charts, its not my favourite song by far but it always sounded like a song that could have done much better than it did. Funny that SISOSIG significantly outperformed it in the UK while it was the opposite in the US. I assume perhaps the MTV factor may explain the latter.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Low Down Low wrote:
20 Aug 2018, 2:54pm
Still a bit surprised RtC didn't have a better run in the charts, its not my favourite song by far but it always sounded like a song that could have done much better than it did. Funny that SISOSIG significantly outperformed it in the UK while it was the opposite in the US. I assume perhaps the MTV factor may explain the latter.
Though Casbah only got the number 30 in the UK, it had quite a long run in the charts. These were the days when a song could hang around for a long time and sell lots of copies without breaking the top 20.

Edit: Ten weeks on the chart which isn't bad at all.
Last edited by Heston on 20 Aug 2018, 3:06pm, edited 1 time in total.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Heston wrote:
20 Aug 2018, 2:58pm
Low Down Low wrote:
Though Casbah only got the number 30 in the UK, it had quite a long run in the charts. These were the days when a song could hang around for a long time and sell lots of copies without breaking the top 20.
In the US circa 1993-4, it was the only Clash song 90% of the people I met knew.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Heston wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
They sold in much bigger numbers too compared to now. Shame all the chart records get beaten by nobodies when you look at the amount of records actually sold.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:
20 Aug 2018, 3:03pm
Heston wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
In the US circa 1993-4, it was the only Clash song 90% of the people I met knew.
It got an unfortunate reintroduction to the general public during Gulf War I. Punk rock jingoistic takedown of dirty A-rabs, yeah!

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Aug 2018, 3:07pm
Wolter wrote:
Heston wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
It got an unfortunate reintroduction to the general public during Gulf War I. Punk rock jingoistic takedown of dirty A-rabs, yeah!
I honestly am amazed at how completely the Clash disappeared down the (EDIT: AMERICAN) public memory hole in the years just before the Green Day/Offspring/Rancid pop-punk revival era.

The only people I knew who were aware of them were punks. And most of them considered the Clash sellouts.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:
20 Aug 2018, 3:09pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Aug 2018, 3:07pm
Wolter wrote:
Heston wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
I honestly am amazed at how completely the Clash disappeared down the (EDIT: AMERICAN) public memory hole in the years just before the Green Day/Offspring/Rancid pop-punk revival era.

The only people I knew who were aware of them were punks. And most of them considered the Clash sellouts.
That documentary, 1991: The Year Punk Broke, is aptly named. Punk was such a marginal form in the 80s until Nirvana altered the landscape. My vague recollection of the Clash during their chart success of CR was that they'd been sanctified as new wave. They were little more than Flock of Seagulls or Thomas Dolby by the end of the decade.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Wolter wrote:
Heston wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
It begs the question given the unprecedented success of RtC why they never followed up with a promo video for SIS and milked it for all it was worth. Unless there was one and I missed it, all i can think of is the Shea stadium one and not sure that was in existence back then.