BBC Clash Project

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: BBC Clash Project

Post by Marky Dread »

BasingSt78 wrote:
22 Aug 2018, 4:17pm
"Saw" them twice in the US. September 79 in Seattle, August 82 in Philadelphia. Both times so far away I could barely make out what was happening. The PA was cranked up so loud in Seattle my pant legs were flapping. I was basically deaf afterwards for several hours. I missed them by a few weeks when they played Vancouver in January of 79. I would have loved that. I have been to The Commodore Ballroom, its a wonderful venue, where audio taping is allowed, or at least was. I still wonder why there is no recording of this show.

A cool vinyl shop in Seattle had lots of imports, bootlegs, and this is how I latched onto the first LP. I saw some photos of them outside of Rehearsals in Creem or Trouser Press, and suspected I would like their music. I loved it, and snarfed up every crappy audience tape and bootleg I could find ever since.

Who has a nice crisp copy of Vancouver Jan 1979? The Force tells me it DOES exist...

As far as the BBC doing this, for a die hard collector like me, the more the merrier. Cheers, BasingSt
Good story mate. If that Vancouver 79 gig turns up I'll be happy to try clean it up the best I can.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Marky Dread wrote:
22 Aug 2018, 4:52pm
Flex wrote:
20 Aug 2018, 1:24pm
Kory wrote:
20 Aug 2018, 1:07pm
Then stop posting.
good advice for all of us, probably
Shut the fuck up! 😁

Nah we may talk some bullshit here but the key is to keep it tongue iin cheek and good natured. Don't take anything too seriously. Its only rock n roll. 😉

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:
22 Aug 2018, 4:55pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Flex wrote:
Kory wrote:
Then stop posting.
Shut the fuck up! 😁

Nah we may talk some bullshit here but the key is to keep it tongue iin cheek and good natured. Don't take anything too seriously. Its only rock n roll. 😉
What's the matter you!

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Marky Dread wrote:
22 Aug 2018, 4:56pm
101Walterton wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Flex wrote:
Kory wrote:
Then stop posting.
Shut the fuck up! 😁

What's the matter you!
gotta no respect!!!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:
22 Aug 2018, 4:59pm
Marky Dread wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Flex wrote:

Shut the fuck up! 😁

What's the matter you!
gotta no respect!!!
Stopped Vienna getting to number 1. I don't know if that's a good or bad thing but I do know it means nothing to me.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Marky Dread wrote:
22 Aug 2018, 5:08pm
101Walterton wrote:
22 Aug 2018, 4:59pm
Marky Dread wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Shut the fuck up! 😁

What's the matter you!
gotta no respect!!!
Stopped Vienna getting to number 1. I don't know if that's a good or bad thing but I do know it means nothing to me.
:mrgreen:

BasingSt78
Corner Soul

Post by BasingSt78 »

Marky,
That is a dream I suspect by now. I do remember it was what, over 25 years, before that perfect mixing desk of the Akron 82 show dropped? That was a while ago though. The thought of a nice copy of this show disintegrating on an old, poorly stored cassette haunts me. Perhaps the taping policies were not as liberal as when I was there in 83, but that was only 4 years later. The days of really active cassette then CDs traders seems to have gone by the wayside. My fear is the mines are tapped out; no more treasure to be found. I do often wonder what folks like Don L might have stashed away. As you all know, photographer Bob Gruen was great friends with the band. I have heard from several people over the years he is also a hoarder of both audio and video. I hope the Summer in the UK is better than here. This is the hottest ever in my corner of America so far, and continues unabated. Cheers, BasingSt

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

BasingSt78 wrote:
28 Aug 2018, 3:51pm
Marky,
That is a dream I suspect by now. I do remember it was what, over 25 years, before that perfect mixing desk of the Akron 82 show dropped? That was a while ago though. The thought of a nice copy of this show disintegrating on an old, poorly stored cassette haunts me. Perhaps the taping policies were not as liberal as when I was there in 83, but that was only 4 years later. The days of really active cassette then CDs traders seems to have gone by the wayside. My fear is the mines are tapped out; no more treasure to be found. I do often wonder what folks like Don L might have stashed away. As you all know, photographer Bob Gruen was great friends with the band. I have heard from several people over the years he is also a hoarder of both audio and video. I hope the Summer in the UK is better than here. This is the hottest ever in my corner of America so far, and continues unabated. Cheers, BasingSt
Yes Bob Gruen was a hoarder the DVD of the Dolls stuff I have probably came from Bob's archive. I do expect if Bob had any Clash stuff it would've seen the light of day by now. I am convinced he was most likely the taper of the Hammersmith Odeon '79 gig.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

white man
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by white man »

BasingSt78 wrote:
Marky,
I bet there are loads of tapes still out there sitting in peoples lofts, garages etc. Forgotten about, what with the digital age and a general reluctance/can't be arsed attitude to liberating them by the owners.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

white man wrote:
28 Aug 2018, 7:08pm
BasingSt78 wrote:
Marky,
I bet there are loads of tapes still out there sitting in peoples lofts, garages etc. Forgotten about, what with the digital age and a general reluctance/can't be arsed attitude to liberating them by the owners.
Yep there's bound to be long forgotten stuff. Even sadly where someone has passed on and the family has stuff in boxes. Always hold out for more. ;)

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Marky Dread wrote:
28 Aug 2018, 7:15pm
white man wrote:
BasingSt78 wrote:
Marky,
Yep there's bound to be long forgotten stuff. Even sadly where someone has passed on and the family has stuff in boxes. Always hold out for more. ;)
Sadly people have also got very greedy and Ebay.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:
28 Aug 2018, 7:28pm
Marky Dread wrote:
white man wrote:
BasingSt78 wrote:
Marky,
Where this stuff is concerned there have always been greedy bootleggers. Most bootlegs I ever bought were way over priced. At least these days there is this really nice fellow called Marky Dread who gives all his time and effort freely. ;)

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Marky Dread wrote:
28 Aug 2018, 7:32pm
101Walterton wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
white man wrote:
BasingSt78 wrote:
Marky,
Where this stuff is concerned there have always been greedy bootleggers. Most bootlegs I ever bought were way over priced. At least these days there is this really nice fellow called Marky Dread who gives all his time and effort freely. ;)
Still sitting on that Madness treasure trove? ;)

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:
28 Aug 2018, 7:35pm
Marky Dread wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
white man wrote:

I know my bottom is hurting. I will of course share that stuff but it needs a fair bit of work and my time is limited at the moment while I'm trying to sell my house and other stuff. Be patient you've waited 30 years a few more months won't cause you to disappear and cause embarrassment to your family. Besides it might just be the business. ;)

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Marky Dread wrote:
28 Aug 2018, 7:39pm
101Walterton wrote:
28 Aug 2018, 7:35pm
Marky Dread wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

I know my bottom is hurting. I will of course share that stuff but it needs a fair bit of work and my time is limited at the moment while I'm trying to sell my house and other stuff. Be patient you've waited 30 years a few more months won't cause you to disappear and cause embarrassment to your family. Besides it might just be the business. ;)
Shut up Marky I never ask twice. It is a sign of the times I wont take it or leave it. Tomorrow is just another grey day in the rain which is a crying shame. It must be love?