(White Man) In Hammersmith Palais turns 40

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Carpentologist
Dirty Punk

(White Man) In Hammersmith Palais turns 40

Post by Carpentologist »

40 years old today, my favourite song of all time!

Carpentologist
Dirty Punk

Re: (White Man) In Hammersmith Palais turns 40

Post by Carpentologist »

It’s B-Side went alright as well!

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Carpentologist wrote:
16 Jun 2018, 1:13am

Mine too. Everything I live about music summed up in one song.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Great great song but I wish they hadn't produced it themselves. That's why I usually play the FHTE version, even though Terry is on it.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Heston wrote:
16 Jun 2018, 5:50am
Great great song but I wish they hadn't produced it themselves. That's why I usually play the FHTE version, even though Terry is on it.
Guy Stevens the ideal producer?
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Carpentologist
Dirty Punk

Post by Carpentologist »

Heston wrote:
Nah, I reckon it’s perfect the way it is! I don’t really believe that it’s production hampered its commercial appeal, I actually think it was just too unique at the time and it’s lyric was too intelligent to appeal to the masses! The fact it wasn’t “Dreadlock Holiday” only enhances its appeal for me!

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Silent Majority wrote:
16 Jun 2018, 6:37am
Heston wrote:
Pearlman or Bill Price would have done. It just sounds a bit brittle and harsh to me, with distinct lack of nice, rounded bass. Just a mystery why they were producing themselves after one year in the business.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Heston’s brainworm is acting up again. The song is perfect.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:
16 Jun 2018, 9:17am
Heston’s brainworm is acting up again. The song is perfect.
It's a rare instance where the band is above criticism. They nailed it.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Heston wrote:
16 Jun 2018, 8:55am
Silent Majority wrote:
16 Jun 2018, 6:37am
Heston wrote:
Pearlman or Bill Price would have done. It just sounds a bit brittle and harsh to me, with distinct lack of nice, rounded bass. Just a mystery why they were producing themselves after one year in the business.
Gotta disagree. I think it's a very warm sounding recording, but I see your point about the bass tone - very mid-rangey and stringy (I'm guessing Paul was using the Rickenbacker), but to me it adds to it's uniqueness and charm and showed how their interests in reggae weren't purist.
Strong shoes is what we got and when they're hot they're hot!
- Marky Dread and his fabulous Screaming Blue Messiahs

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

101Walterton wrote:
16 Jun 2018, 1:38am
Carpentologist wrote:
16 Jun 2018, 1:13am

Mine too. Everything I live about music summed up in one song.
Mine too! Not only my favorite Clash song, but my favorite song.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Joe is critical of Dillinger, Leroy Smart, Ken Boothe and Delroy Wilson on this track right?
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Kory wrote:
18 Jun 2018, 3:40pm
Joe is critical of Dillinger, Leroy Smart, Ken Boothe and Delroy Wilson on this track right?
Yes, dont think there is any doubt that he is being critical. Joe went to the gig with a preconceived notion of what he would hear and seemed to feel personally let down when it failed to match up. Not sure how much Jamaican music Joe knew at that time, maybe he knew Jimmy Cliff and believed all Jamaican music would have that hard, socially conscious edge when, as Don Letts has testified, it was as much if not more about escapism. It's still a truly great song and lyric nonetheless.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Low Down Low wrote:
18 Jun 2018, 4:29pm
Kory wrote:
Yes, dont think there is any doubt that he is being critical. Joe went to the gig with a preconceived notion of what he would hear and seemed to feel personally let down when it failed to match up. Not sure how much Jamaican music Joe knew at that time, maybe he knew Jimmy Cliff and believed all Jamaican music would have that hard, socially conscious edge when, as Don Letts has testified, it was as much if not more about escapism. It's still a truly great song and lyric nonetheless.
I really like those artists, except for Dillinger who I don't know that well. Joe needs to lighten up.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Kory wrote:
18 Jun 2018, 4:56pm
Low Down Low wrote:
18 Jun 2018, 4:29pm
Kory wrote:
I really like those artists, except for Dillinger who I don't know that well. Joe needs to lighten up.
I’d say he probably did too but this was 77 and Joe had to be a punk rock stalinist. He lightened up enough to sing Lovers Rock anyway...I really like it but could easily be a Ken Boothe cover.