The Spirit Of St Louis

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Chairman Ralph
Long Time Jerk

Re: The Spirit Of St Louis

Post by Chairman Ralph »

Always loved 'Spirit of St. Louis' since it was released and appreciate even more now. It really is the "lost Clash album" and a great companion to 'Sandinista!'. Not sure why it's so disliked/disregarded - is it Ellen's voice? The songwriting, both Mick/Joe and Tymon, is uniformly strong and enchanting IMO, and "Torchlight", "MPH" and "In the Killing Hour" are all classics, says me.
Seconded on all counts, and I'd add three more to your list: "Phases Of Travel," "Indestructible," and "Beautiful Waste Of Time." Tymon's song writing definitely made for a strong counterpart to the Strummer-Jones firm (as it were). On a side note: I got to appreciate the latter song more after getting a copy of the first Tymon Dogg on tape -- done with piano and violin, it made for an interesting contrast against the lusher version that graced Spirit Of St. Louis.

Inder
corecore vanguard

Re: The Spirit Of St Louis

Post by Inder »

I don't think I've ever bothered to listen to this. Maybe I'll do a livethread one of these days.