Clash vs Stranglers punch-up

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Re: Clash vs Stranglers punch-up

Post by Heston »

laxman wrote:
26 May 2018, 8:58am
Heston wrote:
26 May 2018, 8:48am
101Walterton wrote:
26 May 2018, 12:38am
muppet hi fi wrote:
25 May 2018, 10:54pm
101Walterton wrote:
25 May 2018, 10:28pm
JJ alone would murder them!
Probably. Unless Johnny Thunders happened to be hanging with the Clash that night, in which case he may well have, literally, murdered JJ. Hey - "New Yawk Citaaay!"
Shihan JJ Burnel has over 40 years of training in martial arts.

He first started Tae Kwondo at age 19. At 21 years of age he started Kyokushinkai under Sensei Brian Crowley. In 1978 he went to Tokyo to train at the Kyokushinkaikan in Ikebukuro.

Since 1991 he has been UK branch chief of The Shidokan.

He has taught, fought and demonstrated all over the world including Japan.

He was awarded his 6th Dan in Japan in 2005 and was awarded the title Renshi in 2012.

In 2014 he was promoted to Nanadan, 7th Dan.
This takes me back to a question I once asked on here before: Who would win in a fight between Bruce Lee and Muhammad Ali? How important are Martial Arts when they meet sheer brute force?
Didn’t Ali fight a mixed martial arts opponent and get his legs badly damaged by all the kicks?

Edit: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muhamma ... onio_Inoki
That sounds like it was a bit of a farce. Things would have been different in a no holds barred match.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Heston wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Probably. Unless Johnny Thunders happened to be hanging with the Clash that night, in which case he may well have, literally, murdered JJ. Hey - "New Yawk Citaaay!"

He first started Tae Kwondo at age 19. At 21 years of age he started Kyokushinkai under Sensei Brian Crowley. In 1978 he went to Tokyo to train at the Kyokushinkaikan in Ikebukuro.

He was awarded his 6th Dan in Japan in 2005 and was awarded the title Renshi in 2012.

This takes me back to a question I once asked on here before: Who would win in a fight between Bruce Lee and Muhammad Ali? How important are Martial Arts when they meet sheer brute force?
I don’t watch any of that MMA or Café fighting but I would have thought that the speed and range of attack for Kung Fu or Karate( kicks punches etc) would strongly favour martial arts. It is all very well having the power but if you can’t get close enough or fast enough to land a punch it is no use to you.

Heston

Post by Heston »

101Walterton wrote:
26 May 2018, 4:47pm
Heston wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:
101Walterton wrote:

I don’t watch any of that MMA or Café fighting but I would have thought that the speed and range of attack for Kung Fu or Karate( kicks punches etc) would strongly favour martial arts. It is all very well having the power but if you can’t get close enough or fast enough to land a punch it is no use to you.
But the guy who fought Ali had to lie on the floor to manufacture a draw. If he was so good why didn't he stand up and do his stuff?
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Heston wrote:
26 May 2018, 6:10pm
101Walterton wrote:
Heston wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:

But the guy who fought Ali had to lie on the floor to manufacture a draw. If he was so good why didn't he stand up and do his stuff?
Never seen Bruce Lee laying on the floor!!

Heston

Post by Heston »

101Walterton wrote:
26 May 2018, 6:49pm
Heston wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Heston wrote:
101Walterton wrote:

Ali would have whupped his skinny arse.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Heston wrote:
26 May 2018, 7:06pm
101Walterton wrote:
26 May 2018, 6:49pm
Heston wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Heston wrote:

Ali would have whupped his skinny arse.
Haha along with Evil Knievel and The Fonz all superheroes in my eyes.

Chairman Ralph
Long Time Jerk

Post by Chairman Ralph »

Paul's face-off with JJ at Dingwalls has been well documented.

So, who do we fancy in a 4-on-4 free-for-all circa 1978 ?

Assuming Joe & Hugh would be well matched, I reckon the crucial factor is whether Paul could hold off JJ long enough for Mick & Topper to take out Jet Black & Dave Greenfield.

Does Topper have actual fighting skills ? Would the Stranglers' grown-up toughness see them through ?

What do we reckon ?
No punch ups necessary: Hugh calls on his friends from the skies, The Meninblack, to take his rivals away for good. Or vaporize 'em and leave 'em in the dust -- figuratively, and literally, in this case. :mrgreen:

For further reference: see "Hallow To Our Men." :mrgreen:

Chuck Mangione
Spitting Image

Post by Chuck Mangione »

Re: Stranglers being a bandwagon band. I think the Adicts fit that description more.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Chuck Mangione wrote:
31 Jul 2018, 12:53pm
Re: Stranglers being a bandwagon band. I think the Adicts fit that description more.
chuck, quit while you're behind.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Chuck Mangione
Spitting Image

Post by Chuck Mangione »

Flex wrote:
31 Jul 2018, 1:17pm
Chuck Mangione wrote:
NEVER!

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Flex wrote:
31 Jul 2018, 1:17pm
Chuck Mangione wrote:
Yeah. Let’s just all agree to stop talking. Except me. And Flex. And anyone not Chuck.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Flex

Post by Flex »

anyways, the adicts put out some tasty records imho

Pex Lives!

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

I don't give a fuck about a bandwagon jumper. A scene means jack shit and the individual bands live only on their own merits.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Flex

Post by Flex »

Silent Majority wrote:
31 Jul 2018, 2:00pm
I don't give a fuck about a bandwagon jumper. A scene means jack shit and the individual bands live only on their own merits.
I admit, I have a friend who just roots for whatever sports team is doing well from any of the geographic areas she's ever lived in and it kinda annoys me. Bandwagon jumper.

Pex Lives!

JohnSimonBeverly
Dirty Punk

Post by JohnSimonBeverly »

101Walterton wrote:

And for the uninitiated, Kyokushin is heavy duty, full-contact Karate, not standing around punching and kicking the air trying to look fancy like all/most other "Martial" arts styles.

JJ is a true badass. No one in their right mind would try to fight him, unless armed.

Osu!