New Book

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: New Book

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
31 May 2018, 4:51pm
Heston wrote:
31 May 2018, 4:46pm
I'm convinced it was a mistake rather than a musical decision.
Coincidentally, this is my review of the entire album.
Okay, you've earned a free membership renewal with that one. :lol:
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by TeddyB Not Logged In »

No way that it was Joe’s push to use drum machines. At some point when it turned 1985 and they had no album, it may be that they asked “what would Mick do?” but it wasn’t just Joe’s friends who didn’t like them, it was Joe. It wasn’t until Joe’s foray into ecstasy, Richard Norris and Glastonbury that he got into such heresies.

drowninghere
Long Time Jerk

Post by drowninghere »

Heston wrote:
30 May 2018, 8:51am
Chairman Ralph wrote:
30 May 2018, 6:46am
Got anymore nuggets where that one came from? Since Mark and I did try to engage him.
"Joe wanted a drum machine. He said to me, 'I want this record to be drum machines.' That was his brief, so okay, I'll put together an album around a drum machine.
"And then his middle-class friends got upset about it, because they were totally into Celtic folk music or whatever middle class problem they had, he backed off on it. But instead of proudly saying, 'This is good, people won't understand for a few years, maybe ten years, the next twenty years...' But I stick by it. He backed out. Indirectly, but ultimately, I think that led to his disappointment in life and his death. Because he had this nagging him all the time. But Joe, he had a lot of demons to deal with. "
I know its Bernie - but what an incredibly bonkers and assholish thing to say

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

drowninghere wrote:
01 Jun 2018, 10:13pm
Heston wrote:
Chairman Ralph wrote:
Got anymore nuggets where that one came from? Since Mark and I did try to engage him.
"Joe wanted a drum machine. He said to me, 'I want this record to be drum machines.' That was his brief, so okay, I'll put together an album around a drum machine.
"And then his middle-class friends got upset about it, because they were totally into Celtic folk music or whatever middle class problem they had, he backed off on it. But instead of proudly saying, 'This is good, people won't understand for a few years, maybe ten years, the next twenty years...' But I stick by it. He backed out. Indirectly, but ultimately, I think that led to his disappointment in life and his death. Because he had this nagging him all the time. But Joe, he had a lot of demons to deal with. "
If you want to talk about persistent nagging, it's remarkable how invested Bernie is in the regard for that album. Thirty-three years on, he's still waiting for the world to wake up and realize he's a genius.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Jun 2018, 6:15am
drowninghere wrote:
Heston wrote:
Chairman Ralph wrote:
If you want to talk about persistent nagging, it's remarkable how invested Bernie is in the regard for that album. Thirty-three years on, he's still waiting for the world to wake up and realize he's a genius.
He has been very committed. I suppose one could go the route of Bernie simply not wanting to admit he was responsible for a very bad recording...but I truly think he really believes we just don't get it.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:
04 Jun 2018, 12:43pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Jun 2018, 6:15am
drowninghere wrote:
Heston wrote:
Chairman Ralph wrote:
He has been very committed. I suppose one could go the route of Bernie simply not wanting to admit he was responsible for a very bad recording...but I truly think he really believes we just don't get it.
He should be!

AudioAmmunition
Dirty Punk

Post by AudioAmmunition »

Just had this book delivered yesterday and was surprised by a glaring error on almost the first page, a picture of Mick on stage with the caption 'Mick performing with his pre-Clash group Rich Kids'. Doesn't augur well for the rest is that's the author's level of research. Presume it was from the brief period when Mick was guesting with the Rich Kids - perhaps 29-08-77 at The Vortex. Also an early pic of Joe from 101'ers days which at first glance I thought was Elvis Costello!

dave202
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by dave202 »

TeddyB Not Logged In wrote:
01 Jun 2018, 8:41pm
No way that it was Joe’s push to use drum machines. At some point when it turned 1985 and they had no album, it may be that they asked “what would Mick do?” but it wasn’t just Joe’s friends who didn’t like them, it was Joe. It wasn’t until Joe’s foray into ecstasy, Richard Norris and Glastonbury that he got into such heresies.
I thought it was a drum machine on Love Kills.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

dave202 wrote:
07 Jun 2018, 11:15am
01 Jun 2018, 8:41pm
I thought it was a drum machine on Love Kills.
Evil Darling had one too.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by TeddyB Not Logged In »

Mick produced the original track of Love Kills.

Equaliser
Dirty Punk

Post by Equaliser »

07 Jun 2018, 3:43pm
I always thought Mick was on that track! Sounds like his playing and background vocals. What about Dum Dum Club?

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Equaliser wrote:
08 Jun 2018, 12:33pm
07 Jun 2018, 3:43pm
I always thought Mick was on that track! Sounds like his playing and background vocals. What about Dum Dum Club?
You are correct about Mick on Love kills.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
30 May 2018, 8:56am
By the way, the book is decent but not much I haven't read before. The author has some strange opinions but I suppose that's his personal taste. For example, I love One More Time but it gets short thrift from him.

There are some great pics in the book I'd never seen before, all in very high quality, and the book in general looks very nice. Worth £12 anyway.
I agree with this. A couple of pics that were new to me. It's all a bit obvious but it is nicely presented.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Marky Dread wrote:
30 Jun 2018, 3:45pm
Heston wrote:
30 May 2018, 8:56am
By the way, the book is decent but not much I haven't read before. The author has some strange opinions but I suppose that's his personal taste. For example, I love One More Time but it gets short thrift from him.

There are some great pics in the book I'd never seen before, all in very high quality, and the book in general looks very nice. Worth £12 anyway.
I agree with this. A couple of pics that were new to me. It's all a bit obvious but it is nicely presented.
There is a picture of Sean Flynn in the book which looks uncannily like Mick.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia