I have a dream....

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Red Angel
Junco Partner

I have a dream....

Post by Red Angel »

Certainly less important than that of M.L. King.
Well, my dream :idea: is simple to say but hard to do. I would like for "Cut The Crap" a treatment similar to "Free As A Bird".
Take multi-tracks and isolate the lead vocals, rewrite the arrangements in the wake of the classic Clash (GEER/LC) therefore
no drum-machines, no synthesizers, no stadium choirs...
Then music and additional vocals recorded by musicians from the Clash area, it would be a huge tribute to Joe Strummer, but very difficult to do... will it be ready for Christmas? :?:
Music is the only thing that matters

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Re: I have a dream....

Post by WestwayKid »

Red Angel wrote:
02 Apr 2018, 10:03am
Well, my dream :idea: is simple to say but hard to do. I would like for "Cut The Crap" a treatment similar to "Free As A Bird".
Take multi-tracks and isolate the lead vocals, rewrite the arrangements in the wake of the classic Clash (GEER/LC) therefore
Then music and additional vocals recorded by musicians from the Clash area, it would be a huge tribute to Joe Strummer, but very difficult to do... will it be ready for Christmas? :?:
No stadium choirs!?

;)

I believe it has been debated around here (several times) whether or not the songs on CtC could be saved. Personally, yes - I think there is a decent album hidden underneath Bernie's gloppity glop. Listening to the Lucky 7 demos - if they had stuck to the plan - I think a semi-decent album could have been the result.

I just don't think anyone will ever touch those tracks.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Red Angel wrote:
02 Apr 2018, 10:03am
Been talking about this for years. I could do it myself if I had the Strummer vocals. It wouldn't be difficult to do, any decent drummer could play along to the drum machine or an added click track. Just add some Clash-style bass and guitars and you would instantly have something ten times better than CtC.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

It will never happen. It is an embarrassment to the legacy of the band and not part of the story laid out by the record company.

That being said, Joe's vocals are top notch on that record and you could probably reconstruct something halfway decent out of it, but I think you'd have to toss everything but his vocals to get something good.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Heston

Post by Heston »

matedog wrote:
02 Apr 2018, 11:20am
It will never happen. It is an embarrassment to the legacy of the band and not part of the story laid out by the record company.

That being said, Joe's vocals are top notch on that record and you could probably reconstruct something halfway decent out of it, but I think you'd have to toss everything but his vocals to get something good.
Correct on both counts.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

matedog

Post by matedog »

Heston wrote:
02 Apr 2018, 11:26am
matedog wrote:
02 Apr 2018, 11:20am

Correct on both counts.
Yeah, you and I basically said the same thing. In a fantasy world, you'd get Paul, Pete, and Nick to do it most "authentically."
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

No sign of Strummer's guitar on the record?
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Red Angel
Junco Partner

Post by Red Angel »

Heston's "North and South" it's a good example of how a song can be improved, in the end I think every operation that brings money could be carried out, it all depends on that.
Music is the only thing that matters

Heston

Post by Heston »

Red Angel wrote:
02 Apr 2018, 12:39pm
Heston's "North and South" it's a good example of how a song can be improved, in the end I think every operation that brings money could be carried out, it all depends on that.
Thanks, that's nice of you to say.

Another problem would be locating the multitracks, and getting permission from Joe's estate etc. Bernie is also an absolute nutjob, and I believe he would be hard to do business with.

My dream was always for someone like Norman Cook (Fatboy Slim) to remix/remodel the album. He's a big Clash fan, a technical whiz, and would know what the record needed.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Heston wrote:
02 Apr 2018, 12:57pm
Red Angel wrote:

Another problem would be locating the multitracks, and getting permission from Joe's estate etc. Bernie is also an absolute nutjob, and I believe he would be hard to do business with.

My dream was always for someone like Norman Cook (Fatboy Slim) to remix/remodel the album. He's a big Clash fan, a technical whiz, and would know what the record needed.
90S BLOCK ROCKIN BEATS

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

matedog

Post by matedog »

Silent Majority wrote:
02 Apr 2018, 1:15pm
Heston wrote:
Red Angel wrote:

90S BLOCK ROCKIN BEATS
Wasn't that Chemical Brothers?

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

matedog wrote:
02 Apr 2018, 1:17pm
Silent Majority wrote:
Heston wrote:
Red Angel wrote:

90S BLOCK ROCKIN BEATS
PROBABLY

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Silent Majority wrote:
02 Apr 2018, 1:18pm
matedog wrote:
02 Apr 2018, 1:17pm
Silent Majority wrote:
Heston wrote:
Red Angel wrote:

90S BLOCK ROCKIN BEATS
PROBABLY
Fatboy Slim was the "Praise You" guy, I believe.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Telecaster
Dirty Punk

Post by Telecaster »

I think Paul and Mick wouldn't want Bernie, to profit from any CTC project. I think this might have been the answer, the last time this idea was floated.

It might be interesting to hear what Joe's family would Think of any new product. Also, a lot of Joe's original fan base isn't getting any younger. Has the time passed for a project to make a profit or at least break even?

renny
Corner Soul

Post by renny »

I think this is a wonderful idea. The albums mainly awful but I saw that line up twice and they were great. All that said this is England is a fantastic song which I keep returning to over the years. I'd love to hear a 'proper' version of the album. Perhaps some sort of mash up with some BAD outtakes or even the superb Walker soundtrack?