The Capital Radio EP-Beaconsfield Film dilemma

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Kory
Unknown Immortal

Re: The Capital Radio EP-Beaconsfield Film dilemma

Post by Kory »

Heston wrote:
17 Apr 2018, 2:15pm
Kory wrote:
17 Apr 2018, 12:55pm
Heston wrote:
17 Apr 2018, 5:16am
Heston wrote:
16 Apr 2018, 7:48pm
I also can't remember the three guitars on Hate and War but would have to recheck that one.
Yeah, there's 3 guitars but he got it wrong about the line mentioning "Greeks", as we established it was "walking grease" a while back.
Marcus Grey thought it was Greeks too, didn't he? I remember being quite young trying to figure out how he got to that conclusion.
To be fair the first Clash songbook printed the lyric as "kebab greek" which it sounds nothing like.
Oh yeah, that was the line. I wonder if Grey got it from the songbook.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Red Angel
Junco Partner

Post by Red Angel »

Kory wrote:
17 Apr 2018, 1:02pm
Red Angel wrote:
17 Apr 2018, 4:00am
A similar book already exists, Tony Fletcher "The Clash: The Music That Matters"
https://www.amazon.com/Clash-Music-That ... 1780383037
Regarding Popoff's book, I saw a preview on Google Books, nice packaging and nice photos but nothing new. Personally I was hoping for a more specialized book.
Has any one read the Fletcher book? Is it just the same old info?
I have that book, it is a book which analyzes not only the songs of the albums but also singles, EP, compilations and live.
There is also a section that analyzes the DVD and some brief mention of the post-Clash career, a good paperback at a low price, but no particular new informations, you can see a preview on Google Books. Popoff's book seems to me much more polished graphically, a perfect book for a gift.
Music is the only thing that matters

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

“London’s Burning (Live)” with no further details of its provenance. Don't forget it's a mono mix.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Red Angel
Junco Partner

Post by Red Angel »

Marky Dread wrote:
20 Apr 2018, 5:18am
“London’s Burning (Live)” with no further details of its provenance. Don't forget it's a mono mix.
Yes, I know, I have no chance of having personal news, so I take what I find in the books for good. In this case from Keith Topping's "The Complete Clash".
Music is the only thing that matters

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

More to add to the London's Burning (Live/Mono) B-side.

This track is supposed to be the take from the promo shoot. However it must've had further work done to it.

As the B-side version starts with the "London's Burning" line followed by Joe singing "All across the town, all across the night".

The promo film version starts with the "London's Burning" line followed by Joe singing "Up and down the Westway, in and out the lights".

So either Joe re-did the vocal take or it's a separate take. Could it be possible that when the version of White Riot from the Beaconsfield session was mixed this version of London's Burning was also mixed and worked on.

Other info the tracks recorded in Beaconsfield by Mickey Foote.

This is mistakenly listed as the National Film & Television School but it wasn't called that until 1982. Prior to that from 1971 it was just known as the National Film School.

As to the promo videos for London's Burning/White Riot/1977 I think they to were filmed at the National Film Studio. Julien Temple says the band were originally smuggled in when the gatekeeper was down the pub. And the band set up as for a live show with the film stage.

Even though the B-side label states Dunstable I think that's an error. I can't find any info regards a studio in Dunstable.

Later in the same month (May 30) the band did play a gig in Dunstable. I wonder if someone at CBS just looked at the bands upcoming live list and picked that.

Black Market Clash has the promo film listed as being from Beaconsfield Studio, Dunstable.

But that is wrong. At the end of the preamble chatter of the Beaconsfield session you can clearly hear Terry ask Joe "where actually are we?" Joe replies "Beaconsfield" Terry says "I know that but where is it?" Joe replies "Buckinghamshire".

National Film School (NFS)
Station Road,
Beaconsfield,
Buckinghamshire,
HP9 1LG
UK

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Marky Dread wrote:
23 Mar 2023, 11:16am

This track is supposed to be the take from the promo shoot. However it must've had further work done to it.

As the B-side version starts with the "London's Burning" line followed by Joe singing "All across the town, all across the night".

The promo film version starts with the "London's Burning" line followed by Joe singing "Up and down the Westway, in and out the lights".

So either Joe re-did the vocal take or it's a separate take. Could it be possible that when the version of White Riot from the Beaconsfield session was mixed this version of London's Burning was also mixed and worked on.

This is mistakenly listed as the National Film & Television School but it wasn't called that until 1982. Prior to that from 1971 it was just known as the National Film School.

As to the promo videos for London's Burning/White Riot/1977 I think they to were filmed at the National Film Studio. Julien Temple says the band were originally smuggled in when the gatekeeper was down the pub. And the band set up as for a live show with the film stage.

Even though the B-side label states Dunstable I think that's an error. I can't find any info regards a studio in Dunstable.

Later in the same month (May 30) the band did play a gig in Dunstable. I wonder if someone at CBS just looked at the bands upcoming live list and picked that.

Black Market Clash has the promo film listed as being from Beaconsfield Studio, Dunstable.

But that is wrong. At the end of the preamble chatter of the Beaconsfield session you can clearly hear Terry ask Joe "where actually are we?" Joe replies "Beaconsfield" Terry says "I know that but where is it?" Joe replies "Buckinghamshire".

Station Road,
Beaconsfield,
Buckinghamshire,
HP9 1LG
UK
Just did some quick research and you are definitely right. The filmed version is not the same as the "b-side" version. The vocals are obviously different as are some of Topper's fills (can't comment on Mick/Paul's parts). I think this suggests a completely different performance/recording. That being said, I listened to a bunch of 77 Topper performances as well as Terry's lone 77 show (Harlseden) and his recording and the "b-side" version is definitely Topper playing. I can cite some specific examples of how he plays it differently than Terry if need be.

If I had to make a determination, I would say that it is likely an alternate take from the filming session from April 17, 1977. We know there were multiple takes filmed because this snippet snuck out that's definitely different from the main version of White Riot:

We don't know of any other Topper studio work until August 77. The only other option would be a random soundboard they recorded in April 77 of an actual live performance and removed any trace of a crowd. This seems less likely.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

matedog wrote:
23 Mar 2023, 3:01pm
Marky Dread wrote:

Station Road,
Beaconsfield,
Buckinghamshire,
HP9 1LG
UK
Just did some quick research and you are definitely right. The filmed version is not the same as the "b-side" version. The vocals are obviously different as are some of Topper's fills (can't comment on Mick/Paul's parts). I think this suggests a completely different performance/recording. That being said, I listened to a bunch of 77 Topper performances as well as Terry's lone 77 show (Harlseden) and his recording and the "b-side" version is definitely Topper playing. I can cite some specific examples of how he plays it differently than Terry if need be.

If I had to make a determination, I would say that it is likely an alternate take from the filming session from April 17, 1977. We know there were multiple takes filmed because this snippet snuck out that's definitely different from the main version of White Riot:

We don't know of any other Topper studio work until August 77. The only other option would be a random soundboard they recorded in April 77 of an actual live performance and removed any trace of a crowd. This seems less likely.
Yep I'm with you all the way on it being an alternate take. And agree definitely Topper on drums. Watched that White Riot clip with Kris Needs and that's a good spot I hadn't paid any attention to it being a different take. 😎

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Marky Dread wrote:
23 Mar 2023, 3:32pm
matedog wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Station Road,
Beaconsfield,
Buckinghamshire,
HP9 1LG
UK

Yep I'm with you all the way on it being an alternate take. And agree definitely Topper on drums. Watched that White Riot clip with Kris Needs and that's a good spot I hadn't paid any attention to it being a different take. 😎
I noticed that during my particularly obsessive days - "hey that's not the same clip!!!" Not sure how it ended up in that doc and have never seen it anywhere else. Presumably in the Sony archives that I'm trying to get Marky in charge of.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

matedog wrote:
23 Mar 2023, 3:56pm
Marky Dread wrote:
23 Mar 2023, 3:32pm
matedog wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Station Road,
Beaconsfield,
Buckinghamshire,
HP9 1LG
UK

I noticed that during my particularly obsessive days - "hey that's not the same clip!!!" Not sure how it ended up in that doc and have never seen it anywhere else. Presumably in the Sony archives that I'm trying to get Marky in charge of.
Haha good luck.🤣

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Further more...

Listening to the Micky Foote Beaconsfield tracks again on the preamble studio chatter you can hear in the background the sound of pool balls clicking against each other. Exactly the same as the band being interviewed in the promo footage with Tony Parsons stood around the pool table. This leaves me to believe that the promo film tracks and interview plus the live/mono B-side alt. take were all filmed at Beaconsfield.

The Dunstable listing may well have been a cover up by the record company. As Julien Temple claims he snuck the band in. And maybe they would've owed the Beaconsfield National Film School money if they knew the track had been recorded there without permission.

Plus the single was not put out with the bands knowledge and against their wishes while on tour. So that means the record company most likely chose the B-side from tapes available.

It always seemed odd to me the B-side live/mono take started with a guitar strum before Joe comes in. And the session tapes available for years on bootlegs doesn't have that guitar sound on them. And as we've recently discussed it's clearly an alternate take and Topper's first appearance on vinyl with the band.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Just been playing the "Selections from the The Clash Live - Revolution Rock" cd.

And the version of London's Burning is listed as Recorded at Beaconsfield Studios, 1977.

I matched it against the promo film take and it's exactly the same. So this confirms that the Promo film was also shot at Beaconsfield and the "Dunstable" printed on the single b-side is a mistake. As I said previously I'm convinced this is because CBS rush released the single "Remote Control" while the band were on tour.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia