Clash II interview

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Clash II interview

Post by Heston »

I think this is new to me, seen one Bernie-rant by proxy and you've seen em all...

There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Clash II interview

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Christ, Joe, let Vince talk. He's got ideas. Firm ideas.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Shutups, Joe.

And why's he picking on the Stones, who he much later admitted was his favourite band? Plus, when that vid was taped, the Stones hadn't played live since '82 and wouldn't play again til '89. Lots more worthy (and factually appropriate) artists in '84-'85 to pick on to make his point.
Strong shoes is what we got and when they're hot they're hot!
- Marky Dread and his fabulous Screaming Blue Messiahs

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

muppet hi fi wrote:
16 Mar 2018, 6:02pm
Shutups, Joe.

And why's he picking on the Stones, who he much later admitted was his favourite band? Plus, when that vid was taped, the Stones hadn't played live since '82 and wouldn't play again til '89. Lots more worthy (and factually appropriate) artists in '84-'85 to pick on to make his point.
The Stones dig apart, I do think that amidst the obvious bluster there, Joe is struggling to articulate a very valid point about the proliferation of stadium rock and the video age. That was something for the band to set themselves apart, I think, but they were too messed up to achieve any sense of coherence like that.

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Low Down Low wrote:
16 Mar 2018, 6:36pm
muppet hi fi wrote:
Shutups, Joe.

The Stones dig apart, I do think that amidst the obvious bluster there, Joe is struggling to articulate a very valid point about the proliferation of stadium rock and the video age. That was something for the band to set themselves apart, I think, but they were too messed up to achieve any sense of coherence like that.
Oh I know, just that in those years Joe was liable to say anything (and often did), and seemed to forget his own musical roots while pretending it was 1977/Year Zero again and the fact that the real Clash had enormous success on a major label, had shot several videos, and indeed had played stadiums. Better alternatives for his views would be Queen or Elton or even Bowie himself. Joe is just full of shit in every Clash II interview I've ever seen. Plus his band sucked. :angry:
Strong shoes is what we got and when they're hot they're hot!
- Marky Dread and his fabulous Screaming Blue Messiahs

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

muppet hi fi wrote:
16 Mar 2018, 6:50pm
Low Down Low wrote:
16 Mar 2018, 6:36pm
muppet hi fi wrote:
Shutups, Joe.

Oh I know, just that in those years Joe was liable to say anything (and often did), and seemed to forget his own musical roots while pretending it was 1977/Year Zero again and the fact that the real Clash had enormous success on a major label, had shot several videos, and indeed had played stadiums. Better alternatives for his views would be Queen or Elton or even Bowie himself. Joe is just full of shit in every Clash II interview I've ever seen. Plus his band sucked. :angry:
Yeah Joe was hard going around that time, I excuse a lot of it on the basis of tough personal circumstances. I think to be fair too it was those stadium gigs they played that helped contribute to the final, painful break-up. I do think there was some substance there, like the busking tour was gimmicky but still a good idea, just there was nobody sane and competent enough left to pull it all together.