Sessionography?

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Sessionography?

Post by WestwayKid »

...because I geek out on this kind of stuff...anyone ever come across a good Clash sessionography online?
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

101Walterton
The Best

Re: Sessionography?

Post by 101Walterton »

What is a sessionography :huh:

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

101Walterton wrote:
13 Jan 2018, 8:45pm
Just a chronological listing of what was recorded (when and where). I think that’s the right term, but I could be wrong (wouldn’t be the first time)! ;)

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

WestwayKid wrote:
13 Jan 2018, 10:32pm
101Walterton wrote:
Just a chronological listing of what was recorded (when and where). I think that’s the right term, but I could be wrong (wouldn’t be the first time)! ;)
Doesn’t a discography cover that or is that only releases.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

101Walterton wrote:
13 Jan 2018, 11:38pm
WestwayKid wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
It would be info on recording sessions. As an example: July 1977, Sarm East Studio, Complete Control. Engineer: Mickey Foot; Producer: Lee Perry.

The technical stuff behind the discography. Like the book Mark Lewisohn wrote about the Beatles recording sessions.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

WestwayKid wrote:
14 Jan 2018, 12:12am
101Walterton wrote:
13 Jan 2018, 11:38pm
WestwayKid wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
It would be info on recording sessions. As an example: July 1977, Sarm East Studio, Complete Control. Engineer: Mickey Foot; Producer: Lee Perry.

The technical stuff behind the discography. Like the book Mark Lewisohn wrote about the Beatles recording sessions.
I'm with you mate, ABBA did one too. Probably depends on what info they have on dates etc. The Clash don't seem the type to have kept a studio diary. Too stoned etc...
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

It does indeed seem like details are sketchy, but I’m going to have a go at piecing one together. I need a “hobby” to help me get through these long, dark winter months! 🙂

I’ve seen two books that claim to be about all of the songs. I have the Tony Fletcher book, and while it has background info on every song, recording data is sadly lacking. There is another book by Martin Popoff - which I don’t own. Anyone ever opened a copy of that one?

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

WestwayKid wrote:
14 Jan 2018, 10:38am
It does indeed seem like details are sketchy, but I’m going to have a go at piecing one together. I need a “hobby” to help me get through these long, dark winter months! 🙂

I’ve seen two books that claim to be about all of the songs. I have the Tony Fletcher book, and while it has background info on every song, recording data is sadly lacking. There is another book by Martin Popoff - which I don’t own. Anyone ever opened a copy of that one?
This would be great website project, maybe in conjunction with BMC?
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Kory wrote:
14 Jan 2018, 10:44pm
WestwayKid wrote:
14 Jan 2018, 10:38am

This would be great website project, maybe in conjunction with BMC?
Agreed. I think this would fit nicely on that site...if it can get done. I did some basic research and session info is scattered. It's pretty easy to determine that GEER was recorded during 2 sessions (March/April 1978 in London) and then (August/September 1978 in San Francisco), but determining specific dates could be tough. When did they work on Tommy Gun? When was Last Gang in Town worked on. I'm just not sure that information is out there.

I think a lot comes down to how well the studios kept records. The Beatles are an easy one because they pretty much only recorded at Abbey Road - a studio owned by their label. Records were kept. The Clash jumped around from studio to studio. Getting back to GEER...did Basing Street Studios keep records of who recorded what and when? Probably...but how does one access them? What about The Automatt in San Francisco. It closed in 1984.

Does CBS have records of what the band recorded and when? Sandinista! was recorded in at least 5 studios. It just seems like a daunting task. I'm still going to have a go at it, but I'm also trying to be realistic.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

I can get you the dates for Bankrobber. I just came across them recently for some reason.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Did Super Black Market Clash not have some specific dates in the liner notes?
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

matedog wrote:
15 Jan 2018, 11:01am
I can get you the dates for Bankrobber. I just came across them recently for some reason.
Excellent! I know it was recorded in Manchester (citing the famous Ian Brown story) and I'm guessing specifically at Pluto Studios.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

matedog wrote:
You're a man of odd sexual proclivities but I respect your upfrontness. Godspeed.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
15 Jan 2018, 11:11am
matedog wrote:
You're a man of odd sexual proclivities but I respect your upfrontness. Godspeed.
Massive :lol: s
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
15 Jan 2018, 11:14am
Silent Majority wrote:
15 Jan 2018, 11:11am
matedog wrote:
Massive :lol: s
Agreed.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!